Should Suarez be banned from football?

jmr

Should he be banned from football?  

171 members have voted

1. 1. Should he be banned from football?

People who have fixed matches, purposely tried to end peoples careers, attacked supports etc haven't been banned from football. Not sure they're going to ban someone for life for something which wile despicable, won't hurt for more than 5 minutes.

Doesn't matter if it's going to hurt or not ffs :lol:

He should be banned for at least 6 months. He'll probably get no action to do with club football and he'll basically miss a couple of international qualifiers...

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
People who have fixed matches, purposely tried to end peoples careers, attacked supports etc haven't been banned from football. Not sure they're going to ban someone for life for something which wile despicable, won't hurt for more than 5 minutes.

don't ruin this for me. I want to savor the people in here who sing the praises of john terry and roy keane to tell me how suarez shouldn't be able to play any more.

What if he takes a right chunk out of someone next time?

Has to be at least 6 months. I would say a year is more fitting. Wouldn't be surprised with a 1-3 game ban.

Imagine if he had done it against England, the rage :D I wonder if the FA could've punished him for that?

"Uruguay manager Oscar Tabarez says he has not seen the Suarez bite. He also claims I have an agenda against the player. I should add that one Uruguayan journalist, in a room of 100, applauded Tabarez for his response on Suarez."

"Uruguay manager Oscar Tabarez says he has not seen the Suarez bite. He also claims I have an agenda against the player. I should add that one Uruguayan journalist, in a room of 100, applauded Tabarez for his response on Suarez."

Huh, live and learn. Didn't know Dalglish was a journalist down there now.

The poll should really be what do you think the appropriate ban is.

Personally I would ban him from international football for 6 months, maybe even a year, and from domestic football for three months from the start of the season. He should also have to undergo mandatory psychological counselling during this time.

Fantastic bet!

I think this "moment of madness" could be part of forcing La Liga move. LFC for sure ain't gonna tolerate another PR disaster, but also it would be great if this turns off Barca and Real, which we know ain't gonna happen. LFC can always blame it on the lack of Uruguayan psychologist :D

His last ban was partly suspended as well unless he did it again iirc, I dunno how that fits into this because it's Fifa and not the FA.

Well obviously the FA have zero jurisdiction here, so it makes know difference. Can't remember how long that was suspended for either, probably only a year, so it will have lapsed.

The most worrying thing is, this is what he's like when he loses control without much provocation. What happens when he loses control after he's been properly provoked? Is he going to end someone's career with a leg breaker (he seems to have tried before?) Or will he go Happy Gilmore style and take of his boot and try and bash someone to death with it. Who knows, but I wouldn't want to be on the pitch when we find out.

Well obviously the FA have zero jurisdiction here, so it makes know difference. Can't remember how long that was suspended for either, probably only a year, so it will have lapsed.

Must have been itching to get it out of his system after holding it in so long!

Three strikes and you're out. An animal like that has no business being on a football pitch. A mental institution while he gets the help he clearly needs, yes. But not a football pitch, not a chance.

Dick move by him and I don't condone it since it's completely effed up gesture. But is it worse than some nasty tackle from behind which carries three match ban?

Dick move by him and I don't condone it since it's completely effed up gesture. But is it worse than some nasty tackle from behind which carries three match ban?

Yeah. You might accidentally lose control of a tackle. You might go in a bit harder than you mean to. You might mistime it, so it looks awful. You don't accidentally, mistakenly or somehow mistime something and up biting someone. 3 times.

So yeah, it's worse than a bad tackle.

That's an extension of an FA ban.

I can't find a precedent for a worldwide ban for something that took place during an international match. Usually, in the case of mass brawls for instance, these bans would only really extend to FIFA sanctioned international games. Anyone else know any better>?

Yeah. You might accidentally lose control of a tackle. You might go in a bit harder than you mean to. You might mistime it, so it looks awful. You don't accidentally, mistakenly or somehow mistime something and up biting someone. 3 times.

So yeah, it's worse than a bad tackle.

I'm thinking more along the lines of Roy Keane, as it happens in football, luckily not often.

Surely not worse than a headbutt or an elbow?

To be clear I HATE diving or any kind of dirty move.

It should be mandatory for every player to watch Ray Lewis highlights and be fined for rolling unless someone KTFOs them in such manner :D

I think Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaave is broken.

are you kidding? england and italy out together... I'm going to double fist nyquil, pop all the tylenol 3 I have and create a shrine to roy hodgson and the english media who advocated tirelessly on his behalf.

I can't find a precedent for a worldwide ban for something that took place during an international match. Usually, in the case of mass brawls for instance, these bans would only really extend to FIFA sanctioned international games. Anyone else know any better>?

I was trying to think back for anything but only drugs bans that I can think of. I'm sure FIFA will do basically nothing (maybe a 3 game ban at most) but we can always hope.

I know, but the point is they have the power in theory to ban a player worldwide (whether they do is another matter)

He's done it three times. It's not like losing control in a tackle, it's so far beyond that. He's clearly got a mental illness that needs expert help, and until he shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a football field.

I wonder what would happen to me if I did it out on the street, on three seperate occasions?

He has had enough chances now, it wont happen but he should be given a lifetime ban. Being sent off for a bad challenge is one thing, bite/headbutting is another
The reply shows she did too a bite.

I just don't get what goes through his head at that moment? Does he think it's normal? Clearly not changed and doesn't realise it isn't normal.

Yep, got to be banned for life now. No justification for his behaviour, 3 strikes and out. He seriously needs some mental evaluation, what kind of person thinks this is normal behaviour.
Banning him for short stints clearly hasn't worked. Way I see it you've got 2 options:

Ban him for a long time (at least 9 months) and hope he either changes his ways or people stop employing him because the risk is no longer worth it.

Punish Uruguay (put Italy through instead) so that the country turn against him, making it clear he let them down, and that his stupidity actually has consequences.

he should be banned for life. period. don't know how anybody can disagree. he's now bitten three people and fifa need to do something to protect the other players.
How many more bites is Suarez allowed before he's banned for life?
It should definitely be a lifetime ban in my opinion but we both know that won't happen. Think people are just being realistic :(

I'm definitely thinking a lifetime ban is probably appropriate right now. Mainly because of the amount of times it happens with him seemingly being unable to comprehend why it's such a bad thing to do.

I suspect he may get banned from international football and nothing else. That could be a lengthy ban, but I doubt they would extend to a worldwide ban.

Cantona is the closest thing I can think of, but that was an FA ban, in which they reccomended to FIFA that a worlwide ban was imposed. It's the other way round to this.

Someone read this - http://www.fifa.com/aboutfifa/organisation/footballgovernance/disciplinarycode.html :D

I just checked and this is the only thing they have about worldwide bans

1. If the infringement is serious, in particular but not limited to doping (cf. art.

63), unlawfully infl uencing match results (cf. art. 69), misconduct against

match offi cials (cf. art. 49), forgery and falsifi cation (cf. art. 61) or violation of

the rules governing age limits (cf. art. 68 a), the associations, confederations,

and other organising sports bodies shall request FIFA to extend the sanctions

they have imposed so as to have worldwide effect.

Not sure they have power to impose it themselves, which is odd

repeatedly calling Evra a n****** probably didn't hurt for longer than five mins, nor would it hurt if I spat in your mouth.

There is also this

But Fifa's disciplinary committee is independent and it may take a formal complaint to be made in order for them to look at this. Defined rules on retrospective action, as Fifa give to England under their discretion, aren't clear as it stands."

So, they may not even have jurisdiction to take retrospective action on this, and they will almost certainly not act of their own volition.

Archived