Should Suarez be banned from football?

jmr

Should he be banned from football?  

171 members have voted

1. 1. Should he be banned from football?

I dont think anyone, bar the mentalists on RAWK, are hesitant to condone him at all, but the calls for kicking him out of football full stop are over the top imo.

Why? can you or anyone else say this won't happen again? Should any player facing him have to be worried about being bitten?

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Utterly disgusting this coming from a Liverpool fan i am shocked he has done this now 3 times its insane and on the biggest stage of all. My view throw the book at him and Uruguay out the World Cup. Yes he is a World Class player but he is tarnishing his country, the game and his club. Personally i think John W Henry might get involved when the dust settles and tell Brendan Rodgers that Liverpool can sell him and recoup the money in another World Class striker..if anybody will have him after this.

Its getting weirder and weirder in this thread. Throw Uruguay out of the world cup? Wonder WHO needs phychatric help.

What if he does it a fourth or a fifth time? Might sound ridiculous but then so is biting someone in the first place, let alone THREE TIMES :D

Well dealing with what if's are never a great idea. What if he he has finally clicked that it can never happen again, should he still be banned for life?

trying to find similar incidents to see what FIFA normally do, but my google skills are lacking.

Anyone remember any 'similar' violent conduct incidents during international games and what sort of punishment was dished out?

Why? can you or anyone else say this won't happen again? Should any player facing him have to be worried about being bitten?

Can anyone say for certain that it will happen again?

Should any player ever have to worry about being physically assaulted full stop on the football pitch? Do players go out expecting a headbutt or a broken leg?

BTW just so its clear, i fully agree he needs to be punished, and this cannot be swept under the carpet, but there are more realistic bans, like Ruben has mentioned.

• Administrators
Well dealing with what if's are never a great idea. What if he he has finally clicked that it can never happen again, should he still be banned for life?

If it was a one-off you might be inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt but he's lost all of that by now.

It would be questionable to make that jump which would raise legal questions over proportionality.

trying to find similar incidents to see what FIFA normally do, but my google skills are lacking.

Anyone remember any 'similar' violent conduct incidents during international games and what sort of punishment was dished out?

Torsten Frings allegedly punched Julio Cruz in 2006. The Italian TV people sent the tapes. FIFA banned Frings from playing the semifinal (which Italy won :D).

Can anyone say for certain that it will happen again?

Should any player ever have to worry about being physically assaulted full stop on the football pitch? Do players go out expecting a headbutt or a broken leg?

BTW just so its clear, i fully agree he needs to be punished, and this cannot be swept under the carpet, but there are more realistic bans, like Ruben has mentioned.

No a player shouldn't be worried about being assaulted, but a broken leg can and should be as it is a risk even if everyone is playing within the rules.

Has anyone ever assaulted another player on 3 seperate occasions? and if so, what was the punishment?

No a player shouldn't be worried about being assaulted, but a broken leg can and should be as it is a risk even if everyone is playing within the rules.

Has anyone ever assaulted another player on 3 seperate occasions? and if so, what was the punishment?

Joey Barton surely has had more than 3 'assault' incidents by now. He is still playing.

What about it is over the top?

Why do you feel it's unreasonable for people to want somebody that medical professionals are saying will almost definitely bite another player in the future to not be given that opportunity?

Equally, you have more than one person saying hang him, burn him, mutilate him, muzzle him. Slightly over the top.

I've no doubt in my mind the majority of the people calling for lifetime bans and death would be more reasonable if he played for their club . Hence false outrage.

Point being he's going to get a lengthy ban, any more than that is disproportionate.

At life? Noone's saying take his life away ffs.

Someone above compared it to when a dog bites someone and gets put down.

Thats where these false outrage comments are coming from. Yes he needs a ban and yes it should be a lengthy ban, but kicking a nation out of the world cup over something they had no control over, or kicking a player out of football for life is just ott.

Someone above compared it to when a dog bites someone and gets put down.

Thats where these false outrage comments are coming from. Yes he needs a ban and yes it should be a lengthy ban, but kicking a nation out of the world cup over something they had no control over, or kicking a player out of football for life is just ott.

That comparison was also prefixed with "considering all the ridiculous analogies" :D he was clearly making another ridiculous one to go along with some of the stupid comments some are making.

Even if it's his third bite, are FIFA permitted to use that as evidence? The Bakkal incident wasn't cited in the FA's report when he bit Ivanović as far as I can see, for example. To the English FA, it was his first time.

If they were to use his previous bites as evidence, they would need to call up the Dutch and English FAs. I'm not sure this has happened. And it could be a slippery slope where if FIFA wants to nail someone with a case, they can always ask for more incriminating evidence elsewhere.

If FIFA can consider it as his third time, and are allowed to ban him from club competitions too, what is fair? Personally, I'm veering towards somewhere between 3-12 months, although I'm not sure where exactly is fair. 3 months is about 15 matches and I can't help but think that that's a bit lenient for a third offence, so maybe 6 months at a minimum. If they are allowed to enforce it, a mandatory psychological evaluation too. I think life bans are maybe a bit harsh although for a third offence, not as stupid as it sounds.

In reality, I think he'll probably get 6-8 games in FIFA competitions and a giant fine. Liverpool will sanction him separately, probably dock his wages for a few weeks and make him go for a psychological evaluation if FIFA don't tell him to. People will cry foul, but FIFA won't listen. The FA will look into the case to see if they can enforce something further, but find nothing.

Yeah thats actually a good point, since the other incidents were outwith the FIFA world cup, i dont think they can really be used as additional evidence here. Otherwise FA's would have been contacting other FA's all the time to hammer players with extensive bans based on his previous history. Each one really has to be dealt with independently by the body running that tournament, so either the dutch FA, english FA or in this case FIFA.

I would think the only thing FIFA could use is the red card from the last world cup, and tie it into something to do with being unsporting.

I had heard tales of the people of RAWK, but have never dared to check it out. Maybe I should. That is absolutely brilliant stuff.

Never been on the site myself, but going purely on every other club specific forum I have ever visited, I highly doubt the stuff posted on there is any different to elsewhere. Fan sites tend to have their fair share of idiots and blinkered users.

He'll never be banned from all football, I think thats pretty much a given. Uruguay will not be punished for his stupidity, Suarez will probably get a 6-12 month international ban and some sort of fine. I'd love to see Fifa sanction Chiellini to be given 5 minutes in a locked room with Suarez so he could beat him 7 shades of purple...

I'd love to see Fifa sanction Chiellini to be given 5 minutes in a locked room with Suarez so he could beat him 7 shades of purple...

Or a Lion instead of Chiellini. So Suarez can feel what it's really like to get bitten. For science ofcourse.

If he was a dog he would have been taken away from Anfield by the RSPCA after the Ivanovic incident and shot, but he got a ban. I can't see it being anything other than a ban and i doubt it would be that long of a ban probably around the 10-12 matches mark. The question is will it be all matches or just International and knowing FIFA it wont come into effect until after the Final.

You do have to wonder if he got Chiellini mixed up with Cannelloni?

Genuine question: why is biting seen as worse than a headbutt? I know I and most other people I imagine would rather be bitten slightly than headbutted! Why is it seen as worse?

The reason is pretty simple, it's about the presumed consent of the victim.

If you are playing football, you're presumed to consent to the risk of the most obvious things that could go wrong (a bad tackle, a clash of heads, a stray elbow etc.). These are common occurrences when you go on the pitch, so you know that there's a chance they could happen, yet you still choose to play football and have therefore given consent to the risks of these things.

Nobody going on a football pitch is presumed to consent to being bitten. It is so far out of the things that you think have a reasonable chance of happening, that nobody will be expecting you to consent to it by playing a match. It's the same reason you can both be prosecuted or sued for intentionally injuring someone with a bad tackle, because nobody is presumed to consent to being intentionally having their leg broken.

So, headbutts and bad tackles (as long as they're not with the clear intent to injure) are a risk you consent to by playing the sport. Being bitten is not.

Archived