Match 32 - Group G - USA VS Portugal 2300BST

sean_oc16

Portu rather lucky to be leading IMO. MON USA!

Agreed. As well as Dempsey played in the first half, he was isolated for much of it. They need to bring on Wondolowski or Johannson and move Dempsey just off the striker.

• Replies 628
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No, not in the slightest. It's because Veloso keeps wandering off into random spots far far away

I'm not gonna disagree with you that Veloso's positioning is suspect. Vs Germany I understood why he was in the team for his long passes to supposedly launch our counters; but on this match I'd much rather have Carvalho whose positional sense is excellent.

Quite the opposite, every american player cuts inside to shoot and ignores the flanks

How can you cut inside if you don't start outside? :D On those 20 minutes or so of play they were playing ridiculously wide with the fullback constantly bombing forward to stretch the pitch down the right flank. I'm not saying they were crossing the ball, just playing with width.

Thankfully things seem to have settled much better at the end of this half. It almost looks like we're playing a mixed version of a 4-3-3 with a flat 4-4-2 now, Éder-Ronaldo upfront, Nani on the right, and one of the midfielders permanently on the left when we're without the ball (it was Meireles the last few minutes now).

I'm not gonna disagree with you that Veloso's positioning is suspect. Vs Germany I understood why he was in the team for his long passes to supposedly launch our counters; but on this match I'd much rather have Carvalho whose positional sense is excellent.

I prefer Carvalho too, due to his ability to not suck. Gives him the edge over Miguel 'who ate all the p...oh wait I did' Veloso

England coverage... REALLY

Wish people would give this a rest - of course they're still gonna talk about England.

You can relax though - no more after Wednesday (I know the game is Tuesday but obviously they'll talk about the final England game the day after.)

USA are technically decent, they need to keep the passes short and avoid direct balls, there is space to work in. Really close game and some heroics by Howard kept them in it.

I know they are trying to be cautious against the counter but they really need to push up a bit and reduce the space between Dempsey and the midfield.

Almeida injured (that's what, 5 players now?), William in for DM position, should cover midfield better but now we have the ultraslow Veloso on left. Fun.

Look on the bright side. We finally have our wish...we're finally playing like Spain

They will say in the final, "The final. Where we wish England national team were here."

they won't say that but you'll get some tedious link to the English national team either via the two teams involved or the venue

Cheers :thup: 22.2% shooting accuracy from the US. Not surprised.

It's like they all have the shoots from distance ppm

How many times have they been wasteful now?

How many times? Way too many

Archived