World Cup Transfers

JD nawrat

Usually the World Cup is a great platform for players to impress and get a move to a bigger club following their performances at the World Cup.

Any standouts from this tournament so far you can think of whose agent might be getting a lot of phonecalls?

Guillermo Ochoa the most obvious shout so far imo, after his performance v Brazil and the fact he's also out of contract.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Guillermo Ochoa - Mexico - Had a great game vs Brazil and out of contract this summer.

Enner Valencia - Ecuador - Can't stop scoring for the NT atm and looks a real handful in and around the penalty box.

Divock Origi - Belgium - Impressed with the two cameo appearances so far and of course scored today.

Serge Aurier - Ivory Coast - Interest from Arsenal prior to the WC and is a very quick RB, put in two great crosses in IC's first game. Young player as well and looks to have lots of potential.

Cuadrado - Colombia - Very pacey winger, tricky and skilful, would be a very good buy and would adapt very well to the PL imo

Miguel Layun - Mexico - WB/FB for Mexico. Bags of energy, always up and down the flank for Mexico. Shouldn't have a problem adapting to the PL either.

Daley Blind - Dutch - Good on the ball, quick and a good crosser.

Matthew Leckie - Australian winger, quick and again good on the ball, would maybe be a good buy for a midtable Prem side. Would be a cheaper alternative i imagine.

Teo Rodriquez - Colombian striker, good physically and an eye for goal. He is 29 now though but could do a job for a mid table Premier League side.

Juan Fernando Quintero - Colombia - Looks an interesting younger player, good technically and got himself on the scoresheet in their second game.

Keilor Navas -Costa Rica - Good GK, already plays in La Liga so not a total unknown but another player that would adapt well and be a good buy for a midtable PL team.

Matteo Darmian - Italy - Another very interesting player and someone that would fit right in playing in the PL, could be in a top 6 PL side.

Marcos Rojo - Argentina - Good age to make the jump to the Prem, some may already know of him seeing as he already plays in Europe. Could develop into a very good player for a top 6 or so PL team.

Alireza Haghighi - Iran - Good GK from the two games so far, only conceded one goal which was world class from Messi. Looks very tidy and composed in goal.

John Brooks - USA - CB, tall and pretty quick. Would be a good signing for a mid table PL side also.

As always though you shouldn't buy players based off of one tournament and a few gamesat said tournament.

Recent example of this turning out badly are Andriy Arshavin. Had a really impressive 2008 Euro's for Russia and bagged himself a £15m (at the time an Arsenal record signing) and underperformed.

Another Russian, Dzagoev had a really good 2012 Euro's and looked like making the step up to the PL but the move didn't come for him and he has done nothing of note since. Still only 23 and a good player of course but not the player he seemed destined to become two years ago.

Of course there will be players that have good tournaments and get a move to a bigger club/league but signing players based off of a few games where the spotlight will be at it's highest isn't the correct thing to do imo.

Regarding the Brazilian national team:

David Luiz joined PSG and Daniel Alves might do the same.

Fred might move to Turkey or some other non-top league.

Hulk linked to England.

Jô linked to Germany.

Júlio César linked to Flamengo.

Oscar linked to PSG.

Paulinho linked to Chelsea and Italy.

So Brazil's national team keeping the tradition of being more a shop window than a proper national team.

Cuadrado is the one that's impressed me. Scarily quick. Reckon he might find himself at a big club soon.

Would really like to see him at Man United next season. Seen that Barcelona are close to signing him though.

He already plays at a good level as well for Fiorentina so it wouldn't be a huge step up in leagues plus he has had a good season at Fiorentina last season.

Ricardo Rodriguez did really well in the Switzerland v Ecuador game. I think he might get some interest, too. Already at Wolfsburg maybe not going to be moving anywhere but I wouldn't be surprised if someone like Man Utd decided he was worth showing interest in.

Kyle Beckerman of the USA (the fella with the dreads) was extremely impressive I thought (I named him my personal MOTM). He still plays in the States, so a move to Europe could be on the cards as, generally speaking, players from the US are cheap (cheaper than someone in Europe anyway). He's 32 now but not sure that'll matter a lot.

Speaking of the USA - Fabian Johnson, the right back, impressed me also. He's over in Germany at Hoffenheim. Might move to a bigger club. Had lots of energy. I like the look of him.

Ricardo Rodriguez did really well in the Switzerland v Ecuador game. I think he might get some interest, too. Already at Wolfsburg maybe not going to be moving anywhere but I wouldn't be surprised if someone like Man Utd decided he was worth showing interest in.

Kyle Beckerman of the USA (the fella with the dreads) was extremely impressive I thought (I named him my personal MOTM). He still plays in the States, so a move to Europe could be on the cards as, generally speaking, players from the US are cheap (cheaper than someone in Europe anyway). He's 32 now but not sure that'll matter a lot.

Speaking of the USA - Fabian Johnson, the right back, impressed me also. He's over in Germany at Hoffenheim. Might move to a bigger club. Had lots of energy. I like the look of him.

Just remembered Kyle Beckermann as well. I also had him as my MOTM in the opener for the USA. Another player that could do a good job for a mid table PL side for what you would imagine to be decent price.

Guillermo Ochoa - Mexico - Had a great game vs Brazil and out of contract this summer.

Enner Valencia - Ecuador - Can't stop scoring for the NT atm and looks a real handful in and around the penalty box.

Divock Origi - Belgium - Impressed with the two cameo appearances so far and of course scored today.

Serge Aurier - Ivory Coast - Interest from Arsenal prior to the WC and is a very quick RB, put in two great crosses in IC's first game. Young player as well and looks to have lots of potential.

Cuadrado - Colombia - Very pacey winger, tricky and skilful, would be a very good buy and would adapt very well to the PL imo

Miguel Layun - Mexico - WB/FB for Mexico. Bags of energy, always up and down the flank for Mexico. Shouldn't have a problem adapting to the PL either.

Daley Blind - Dutch - Good on the ball, quick and a good crosser.

Matthew Leckie - Australian winger, quick and again good on the ball, would maybe be a good buy for a midtable Prem side. Would be a cheaper alternative i imagine.

Teo Rodriquez - Colombian striker, good physically and an eye for goal. He is 29 now though but could do a job for a mid table Premier League side.

Juan Fernando Quintero - Colombia - Looks an interesting younger player, good technically and got himself on the scoresheet in their second game.

Keilor Navas -Costa Rica - Good GK, already plays in La Liga so not a total unknown but another player that would adapt well and be a good buy for a midtable PL team.

Matteo Darmian - Italy - Another very interesting player and someone that would fit right in playing in the PL, could be in a top 6 PL side.

Marcos Rojo - Argentina - Good age to make the jump to the Prem, some may already know of him seeing as he already plays in Europe. Could develop into a very good player for a top 6 or so PL team.

Alireza Haghighi - Iran - Good GK from the two games so far, only conceded one goal which was world class from Messi. Looks very tidy and composed in goal.

John Brooks - USA - CB, tall and pretty quick. Would be a good signing for a mid table PL side also.

I thought Rojo first as well, but he was absolute appalling against Iran.

As always though you shouldn't buy players based off of one tournament and a few gamesat said tournament.

Recent example of this turning out badly are Andriy Arshavin. Had a really impressive 2008 Euro's for Russia and bagged himself a £15m (at the time an Arsenal record signing) and underperformed.

Another Russian, Dzagoev had a really good 2012 Euro's and looked like making the step up to the PL but the move didn't come for him and he has done nothing of note since. Still only 23 and a good player of course but not the player he seemed destined to become two years ago.

Of course there will be players that have good tournaments and get a move to a bigger club/league but signing players based off of a few games where the spotlight will be at it's highest isn't the correct thing to do imo.

Arshavin was well known before the Euros.

Valbuena's not exactly an unknown entity, been in the CL for a number of years and always been very good. Been linked with a number of PL clubs in the past too. But I think his performances for France so far might attract a lot of attention. Still only 29, got a lot to offer. Very pacey, tricky and intelligent. Few teams could do with someone like him (Man City included). Wouldn't mind signing him :thup:

He's already moving to Gladbach in about 8 days.

He's already moving to Gladbach in about 8 days.

Ha, well, fair play! I take it his signing was arranged pre-tournament? Impressive player nonetheless. I liked him v Ghana. Wonder how he'll do up against Ronaldo tonight (assuming he starts at RB again, my mate says he is also very capable at LB and played there fairly regularly for Hoffenheim)...

Socceroos forward Mathew Leckie has reportedly drawn interest from Premier League clubs after his performances against Chile and the Netherlands, despite having signed for FC Ingolstadt in the 2. Bundesliga before the WC.

Fulham are rumoured to be signing left back Jason Davidson (Heracles) and striker Adam Taggart (Newcastle Jets), both of whom are in Australia's squad.

Australia midfielder Tommy Oar (Utrecht) is apparently a target for Udinese in the Serie A.

It's also been reported that even Tim Cahill has drawn interest from clubs in Europe, despite being 34 :D

I think Russians don't tend to do well outside of Eastern Europe for some reason. Aye, there will have been some that have went on to have successful spells outside of Russia in top leagues, but it seems to me most always go back after failing to settle or because they failed to impress for any great length of time.

Not saying they aren't well paid in Russia, I'm just saying most turn out **** when they move to a large league. There's the odd one that makes an impact such as Andrei Kanchelskis, but he's in the minority that do perform well.

Yes, but I meant, as they are well paid, they have little incentive to play and succeed abroad as they can safely return home if things don't work out.

Not saying they aren't well paid in Russia, I'm just saying most turn out ****. There's the odd one that makes an impact such as Andrei Kanchelskis, but he's in the minority that do perform well.

Kanchelskis never played in Russia until his final two years and only played for Russia because Russia was the official continuation of the USSR and he felt more associated to the Russians than the Ukrainians. He was born and raised in Ukrainian USSR and he played for Kyiv and Donetsk. Not the best example tbf (not the worst either). I'm actually struggling to think of any successful Russians outside of Russia, truth be told :o

I'm pretty sure Rangers signed 2 Russians that did well, however, this is the Scottish league we're talking about. They also signed that horrendous player, who's name escapes me, that scored 5 (or was it 7?) in a single WC match. Money well spent imo.

You mean Salenko?

I'm pretty sure Rangers signed 2 Russians that did well, however, this is the Scottish league we're talking about. They also signed that horrendous player, who's name escapes me, that scored 5 (or was it 7?) in a single WC match. Money well spent imo.

seriously, don't remind me of Oleg Salenko :lol:

scored 5 in a 6-1 win for Russia against Cameroon in 1994

Now you mention it i do remember hearing that about Leckie signing for that German club. Any idea on the fee?

Was reported here as $1.09M AUD (roughly £600,000 GBP / €750,000 EUR). He was previously at FSV Frankfurt, also in the 2. Bundesliga.

Not sure about transfers as I believe he's signed up to Udinese and loaned out to Internacional of Brazil but Charles Aranguiz of Chile has been amazing as a box-to-box midfielder. My pick for "most surprising" player of the tournament so far. :thup:

Not sure about transfers as I believe he's signed up to Udinese and loaned out to Internacional of Brazil but Charles Aranguiz of Chile has been amazing as a box-to-box midfielder. My pick for "most surprising" player of the tournament so far. :thup:

Internacional signed him permanently shortly before the World Cup.

Australia midfielder Tommy Oar (Utrecht) is apparently a target for Udinese in the Serie A.

:confused: Tommy Oar has been Australia's worst player and arguably the worst player at the tournament. Absolute liability.

Stars of recent World Cups or European Championships are overvalued

The worst time to buy a player is in the summer when he's just done well at a big tournament. Everyone in the transfer market has seen how good the player is, but he is exhausted and quite likely sated with success. Overpaying for these shooting stars is what Moneyball calls "a tendency to be overly influenced by a guy's most recent performance: what he did last was not necessarily what he would do next."

Granted, that is a separate debate, and one that doesn't apply for clubs that have tons of money anyhow and don't deal in rationales. But at the top of my head I could name quite a few of WC starlets that never performed and reached the same heights as in those brief two to four weeks thereafter when there were on the "plate" for all world to see.

Luckily for agents and players, there is often surprisingly little rational thinking involved in transfers still though. :D

Granted, that is a separate debate, and one that doesn't apply for clubs that have tons of money anyhow and don't deal in rationales. But at the top of my head I could name quite a few of WC starlets that never performed and reached the same heights as in those brief two to four weeks thereafter when there were on the "plate" for all world to see.

International competitions like the World Cup and the European Championship and other similar comps are overrated, shame clubs sometimes still don't realize that.

:confused: Tommy Oar has been Australia's worst player and arguably the worst player at the tournament. Absolute liability.

I wouldn't say he's one of the worst at the tournament, but he's certainly had a below par tournament by his standards. Still, the prevailing view here is that he isn't performing to his potential, as he's been very good for us before and seems to be rated reasonably well at his club, plus is only 22. This article is the source of the rumour, a native speaker might be able to give a better insight but from Google Translate it looks like Udinese's manager likes the look of him and is preparing a €2.5M bid, with Utrecht prepared to negotiate.

Archived