Start at the top V Working your way up.

I always start Unemployed which ever Career I choose as I prefer the being offered a Job after applying rather than ''walking into one''. Starting on Auto Career if I want to work my way up or /International/Pro if I choose to start up the top.

1.I prefer starting from the bottom on Auto experience and then working my way up to try and make the game as realistic as possible.

The chance to build from scratch and work the Club and/or myself up the leagues watching the Club's and Players develop with me.

I find more sense of achievement with the smaller trophies and success feels sweeter.

The thrill of being offered a Job at a ''Big Club''.

Discovering RL Players at low level Football and learning about small Club's and Towns I have never heard about before.

3.The cons of working my way up is that reaching the top of the game can take Months/Years of game time.

If you make it all the way the sides will be full of regens,Stadiums and leagues will be unfamiliar and feel unrealistic.

You will probably never get the chance to Manage,Transfer or build a squad with the top RL Players.The chance of signing a peak Suarez to Play with Messi or Ronaldo will take a miraculous Career progression.

4. The Pro'sStarting from the top

You can manage against and compare your achievements to the top RL Managers.At the start Players are familiar and you should know what your getting when your signing almost anyone from an EPL or Champions league side.

The Con's the game is less immersive for me and I tend to quit within 2 Seasons with a feeling of not done it properly.

I tend to sign the same Players each save as I have an idea of what Players will work in each position.

Hard to say as it'll depend on the club. One of the cons of working your way up could be a lack of funds... unless you get taking over by a rich guy, or the club has lots of money anyway. One of the pros of working your way up could be seeing your work pay off and overcoming challenges, but the same can be said of starting at the top.

I don't aim for either, I just join a club that interests me. There doesn't seem to be any pattern. I suspect, if there is a pattern with people who aren't at either extreme, it'll be a case of alternating between the two.

I personally would always rather work my way up as it's a better sense of achievement that way. Even winning the league cup 10 years down the line with a team that's currently blue square south/north is a big achievement. If a Chelsea/City etc would 'only' win a league cup in a season it would be seen as a failure, whereas for a Hyde or a Salisbury it would be the high point in their history. I also love the challenge of putting a team together, putting a structure in place, seeing the team grow and evolve to become a team that challenges in a higher league. Personally, having grown up on Liverpool/Shankly stories, the idea of building a team appeals to me a lot. Starting with a big team for me is more instant success because, after all, it's not too hard to win the Champs League etc with a Barca or a Man City, but even appearing in the draw would be a phenomenal success for a team currently in the lowest playable tier of any given nation.

Working my way up - have always done this going back to the days of CM2; current journeyman save started with a few months in Iran (resigned), a spell in Melbourne (sacked), qualifying the NZ u-23s for the 2016 Olympics (good fun) and currently in South Korea - I work on the basis that IRL it would take a number of years to get to a top flight club and basically just take whatever comes my way and try and build; galling thing about being sacked by Melbourne was the squad I built was good so that, after I left, they went on to win the Grand Final

It depends on the year.

I've done start at the bottom games for about 5-6 years now. It's starting to drag and get a bit boring. So the next few years I'll probably just jump in at the top.

That said, I always do a Man Utd file and an England international file each edition anyway, but they usually die out before my LLM saves.

As my FM time is limited I'm simply unable to play "Start at the bottom" games (I generally manage about 6 seasons per release). This means I have to set medium term goals and therefore usually pick either:

- A team that has fallen on hard times and try to steady the ship and bring them back to where they were. E.g Championship level teams that used to be in the Premiership. Blackburn for example.

Or

- A team that is trying to take the next step in the top league, perhaps European competition. E.g. Southampton, Everton.

Or

- An underperforming large club that needs a big overhaul. E.g Villa, Newcastle.

I have a few saves running which I seem to do the same most years. Always try getting LFC to be the best in the world and teams like Leeds. Got Tiverton to the Champions League Semi's in FM12.

I wish I had the patience to play a save starting from the bottom but I just can't ever seem to manage it. I totally get the appeal and have an idea of starting in Asia and roaming around the world before ending up in Europe, but then when I try it I miss the transfer & wage budgets offered by bigger clubs and the familiarity of the top players :(

Always start at the bottom. For the last couple of versions that I've bought, I started with a sunday league reputation and unemployed, with the aim of winning the Champions League in each of the 5 continents playable. I managed it on FM12, including making Seoul world champions before leaving them.

I've won every domestic and continental trophy available to me so far with Chungju Hummel in South Korea, Chivas in Mexico (except for the South American competitions) and Supersport Utd in South Africa, and have won the Brazilian Cup, league and Sao Paolo state championship with Santos so far in FM14. I also came so close to making Chungju Hummel world champions, conceding in the 109th and 115th minute of the final after being reduced to 9 men through injuries.

To me, that's far more enjoyable than taking over that's already huge and buying a couple of players to win everything after one or two seasons.

I wish I had the patience to play a save starting from the bottom but I just can't ever seem to manage it. I totally get the appeal and have an idea of starting in Asia and roaming around the world before ending up in Europe, but then when I try it I miss the transfer & wage budgets offered by bigger clubs and the familiarity of the top players :(

Perhaps when playing low level club management, the hole can be filled with international management at the same time.

Always at the bottom (well, for the past few years) or at least at the bottom league of any playable nation. Even when I've worked my way up I won't go to already successful clubs unless I'm returning somewhere because I won't feel I've done anything myself to earn trophies or even being challengers. Underachieving giants on the other hand are another matter (a dream come true in fact, just taken over Juventus just above the relegation zone for the second time in my FM life, and my favourite Milan side had been mid-table for many years (by which I mean 20+ of not even making Europe, not just a few mediocre seasons outside the CL) so there was still plenty of achievement to be had there).

Perhaps when playing low level club management, the hole can be filled with international management at the same time.

Not a bad suggestion. Perhaps I'll give that a try after my current save :thup:

Not a bad suggestion. Perhaps I'll give that a try after my current save :thup:

Be sure to start with the highest rep, so you'll actually have a chance of getting hired. Or just cheat and add a separate manager/you for international.

i like to start in the championship with a team like Cardiff (fm2013) or a top team like that and get my tactics in order and then get up to the premier league. (remember that tactics are the most important thing in this game, i took cardiff from the championship to the champions league places with a good finisher in le fondre, delfounseo or austin and a good target man in carrol or chamakh two good crossing wingers a deep lying playmaker an attacking playmaker and a solid defense)

I prefer starting at the top and building my own squad, when I start a save a rarely ever leave that unless I get the sack or I get an offer from a club I can't refuse, even then I normally start a mid-table team like Newcastle, Southampton etc

I tend to sit in the middle somewhere - I lose patience with lower league teams, and I get bored at the top all the time. I quite like getting a team from League 1 or Championship into the Premiership to hold their own.

Oddly, I'm not too bothered about winning trophies with teams. Obviously it's a nice bonus, but I'm quite content getting a team into a safe Premier League place and pushing for Europe before I move on to do it with the next club that needs my help. Haven't won anything in my current save, but I'm with my third team in 2019 having got Wigan back into the Premiership, and failing to help out Brescia in Italy. QPR are next on my list, loitering around mid table Championship obscurity with a few debts that need clearing.

I always start with a team in the lowest league of whichever country I've selected. I just find it more plausible that a young untested manager like myself would get such a job. I don't usually try to take that team to the top though, instead I move to larger clubs.

I have always started unemployed with sunday league experience. Far more satisfying when you get to the top! My last save I started at Luton, then Bolton, Blackburn, Blackpool, Liverpool and now in Italy with AC. Much better than starting at Milan although I cant stand Liverpool I built a team that was difficult to leave...

Always starting at the bottom for me. I get so much enjoyment and a sense of satisfaction from progressing up as a manager. My current save is in 2022, and I started in Northern Ireland with Larne where I won the Championship 1 before moving to Cliftonville, where I spent 4 seasons winning every possible competition. I then moved to Wrexham in the Skrill Premier, but was unjustly sacked despite only being 1 point off the playoffs with about 6 games to go. I then took a chance and moved to Scotland to manage Falkirk, who I got from promoted to the Scottish Championship at the first attempt. We were performing well, around 3rd in the table, and a lot of clubs came knocking on my door. I received a great offer from a tycoon owned Bolton Wanderers who were stuck in League 1. I spent a couple of seasons with them, and after guiding them up to the Championship via the playoffs, and getting them as high as 3rd in the Championship table, I got a knock on the door from Newcastle, who while they were struggling at the bottom of the table in the Premier League, had a lot of potential to build something special up! Moved them up to 11th from 18th to save their season, and I'm currently 8th in the table in our current season. I'm hopeful of either getting Newcastle to a level where we can challenge for lots of silverware, or hope a truly major club come calling and I can start moving up the hall of fame. :D Sorry for the essay, you can tell how much I'm enjoying my save right now!

I started unemployed, went on Holiday for 6 months and got offered the Huracan job in the Argentinian 2nd Division. They were 16th when I joined them, and I won the league that season, and then won the premier division with them the year after. I then got offered the Liverpool job. I wanted to work my way up, loaded a lot more leagues than I normally do with the expectation that it would take me a while to reach the top - however, I made it in a few years. Which in a way was quite annoying.

Start as low as the game allows without having to download a database normally, although in my current save I started in the second tier in Norway not the third. I don't get any satisfaction starting at a big club, so I prefer to either earn a big move or develop a small club into a big one.

To put a twist on the topic...does anyone use the option for fictional players to take out that "known" aspect from the game?

As for the topic, I too like starting at the low end and building up. Just started playing this game recently and doing that here. Although after getting fired twice in one season I did go to a Premier League team for some training and a bit easier learning curve.

To put a twist on the topic...does anyone use the option for fictional players to take out that "known" aspect from the game?

No because they're not actually fictional players, just the names are changed, so coincidentally it's a fake option.

Ahh, good to know. That's actually kind of a bummer. One thing I've tried to stay away from is all the lists I'm finding with "best players to get" and how to put together unbeatable teams.

That and super tactics. I don't know where the fun comes from if someone just downloads a tactic and signs players so you guarantee a big win every match. Where does the playing the game come in?

Right. I did look at a lot of those just to try to learn something but I'm sticking with the default stuff and working on my instructions for now. LOL Unfortunately most of my Google searches for FM14 tactics do not give me insight to tactics but rather, as you note, the super tactics that you can download.

Archived