Match 12 - Group G - Germany vs Portugal - Monday - 17:00 BST

CaptainPlanet

• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply
and Mueller though?

Pepe hasn't injured anyone it's just stupidness. Give him a yellow but Oh no, he's put his head a bit near his head!!! Just winds me up :D

So red cards should only be given, when people get injured?

If you're talking about Barcelona or the Spanish national team I think they're incredibly boring to watch.

They are, but they have that reputation anyway.

Great win for Germany.

So red cards should only be given, when people get injured?

Yes, yes that's exactly right

By not wanting a red card for brushing your head against someone elses I absolutely only want red cards when someone's intestines are laying on the pitch next to them as they lay in a pool of blood

Have a think and see if you can think of some kind of middle ground between those. I like to call this area 'common sense'

Some cannon from Ronaldo at the end, but unless those go towards a corner, he's not going to score on somebody as good as Neuer.

Horrible match by Portugal from both a performance and injuries point of view. They need to play a lot better to go through, and get Ronaldo firing.

Imagine the hurtin' Ronaldo could do in a team like Germany. Portugal so bloody poor now, sad to see.

Muller shouldn't have reacted to the touch as he did but Pepe shouldn't have went anywhere near him with the head

have really no idea how he's one of the main defenders at Real as he's usually involved in something during a match

Very simplistic way of looking at Muller's role. There's far more to his game/what he does for Germany than just scoring goals, he's easily one of their most important players.

tbf I don't think Ruben is intentionally understating Muller's role/talent. He is clearly brilliant, but this stems from the Rooney comparison.

Very simplistic way of looking at Muller's role. There's far more to his game/what he does for Germany than just scoring goals, he's easily one of their most important players.

I know he does more than just score.

Rooney in that team over the past decade would probably also have scored a boatload at world cups.

I know he does more than just score.

Rooney in that team over the past decade would probably also have scored a boatload at world cups.

If he had the German mentality and didn't bottle it at the WC, then maybe.

Muller shouldn't have reacted to the touch as he did but Pepe shouldn't have went anywhere near him with the head

have really no idea how he's one of the main defenders at Real as he's usually involved in something during a match

It just winds me up

Mueller reacted ... Pepe reacted

Neither was dangerous or particularly aggressive. Mueller gets rewarded and we all get on with the game. Will this stop other people over reacting in future? Nope, you get someone sent off and no punishment for you

You can argue that no one forced Pepe to react but there is a human element to the game especially the way Mueller tried to get him into trouble

Even if they red card him I'd like to see some card for Mueller as acknowledgement for his part in it, you know

It just winds me up

Mueller reacted ... Pepe reacted

Neither was dangerous or particularly aggressive. Mueller gets rewarded and we all get on with the game. Will this stop other people over reacting in future? Nope, you get someone sent off and no punishment for you

You can argue that no one forced Pepe to react but there is a human element to the game especially the way Mueller tried to get him into trouble

Even if they red card him I'd like to see some card for Mueller as acknowledgement for his part in it, you know

Well, it is that at some point in his career Pepe must realize to calm down a bit more. Of course, clever as he is, Mueller was also trying to provoke Pepe, and Pepe just goes along with those provocations like a dumbass. And of course this isn't the first time these sort of things happen. Pepe has lost control many times before as we all know.

Feel sorry for Ronaldo btw, doesn't deserve to play in a team like that.

Yes, but for most people, like Italy is supposed to be defensive, Germany is supposed to be methodical, cold, efficient, etc...

Silly clichés about foreign teams are as common here as elsewhere.

Well, they do have foundations in reality. There's no denying that by the advent of televized World Cups, even more so in colour in 1970, which marks a crucial turning point in football history (for better and worse), Brazil in their yellow and blue kits and their plenty flair players and fluid systems back then, had been the most flairful side of the Cups.

Similarily, Italy have a prominent history with being defensive, and Germany in between 1970 and 1974 until very recently was an exception from the typical rule too. However, as the world moved on into globalization, once distinctive styles mixed by coaching/player exports and every game in very country being shown on TV, it could be even argued that once distinctive national styles (not tactics) have all but gone for the most part. That's where clichè comes in too. Spain is distinctively Dutch by all means in that sense that the sews were all sown back at Ajax and with Cruyff at Barcelona, and interestingly during the last major makeover in youth development in Spain it was first considered to implement a physical style a la typically German before finding that with all the Barca academy players (small and not very robust) they wouldn't have the players for that. If any side ever had a truly distinctive style ever, it's all a mix now.

Only watched England-Italy in full so far, which means this marks the first German WC match I haven't watched live ever since Germany-Colombia in 1990. Which for some reason I still remember as I was toddling about in my parents' garden, and either my mom or my dad came out to tell we'd have drawn. :D Curious what the fabulous lads at SI's comm have got to say about the match now.

Archived