TV money in the Bundesliga

To set the scene, in 2016 my team gained promotion to the Bundesliga which brings with it an added challenge (big teams with big money). At this point the game told me I was going to be earning £10.4m in TV revenue.

Great, a massive boost on last years £3m and a chance to build for the future if I could stay in the league (with the lucrative prize money on offer on top of that). I somehow managed to finish 5th in this season which earned me north of £20m in prize money. The following season I found out I was still getting £10.4m for TV rights, fair enough it was only one season of success so thats realistic. I went on to win the German Cup, got to the Europa League Semi Finals and finished 4th to secure potential CL football for the first time in the clubs history.

Its fair to say that the club had now arrived on the Bundesliga scene, finishing 5th and 4th in consecutive seasons and lifting the major domestic cup. I was looking forward to the boost in TV money that this enhanced reputation we had earned would give me but alas we are still being offered £10.4m in TV rights money this year.

My question is whether the TV money is dynamic and if so how much longer will I have to wait to start earning the same as the likes of Gladbach and Leverkusen who are the teams around me?

TV revenue is dynamic, you should notice changes in the prize money which is how the bulk of TV money is shared out, the £10.4m is the fixed sum equal share given to all teams.

So what you are saying is that the TV deal is weighted so that the higher the team finishes in the league the more money they get ie the £25m I received for finishing in 4th place is actually my share of the TV revenue?

Archived