Miroslav Klose

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gerd Muller is probably one of my favourite strikers of all time, quite an astonishing strikerate for Germany as well

68 goals in 62 games :cool: bit of a shame I wasn't around to see him too much live but I've seen plenty from footage of past games

Gerd Muller is probably one of my favourite strikers of all time, quite an astonishing strikerate for Germany as well

68 goals in 62 games :cool: bit of a shame I wasn't around to see him too much live but I've seen plenty from footage of past games

Müller is still the best striker Germany has ever had.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsb3CYjFnOI

But fair play to Miro. Fabulous career for someone who spent his youth time at SG Blaubach-Diedelkopf. ;)

Miroslav is a very likeable fella but I don't give a crap what the stats say he's never been half as good as Gerd Muller was. Just another anomaly of the fact these days players pick up so many more caps hence all records end up being from this modern era with very rare exceptions.

Miroslav is a very likeable fella but I don't give a crap what the stats say he's never been half as good as Gerd Muller was. Just another anomaly of the fact these days players pick up so many more caps hence all records end up being from this modern era with very rare exceptions.

You can also argue that der Bomber played in an era where there were many more dwarf teams and tactics weren't developed enough to deal with vastly superior attacking teams. The days when teams like Luxembourg or Malta were beaten 10-0 routinely. As always, it is very hard comparing players, certainly from different eras.

It really doesn't matter if he breaks the world cup record, it's longevity over everything else. He'll never be considered amongst the top players, probably not even top 250.

Yeah right and you will never be considered seriously a poster in this forum

you can repeat it as often as you like, it doesnt get much more true :D

Klose has nothing to prove anymore. He´s been a top class player for most of his career.

Just because you didnt watch him score goals and foremost provide assists a plenty in the Bundesliga and Serie A doesnt mean he wasnt up there with the best.

I think most people rate Klose very highly. Perhaps not "top 250" like you say but then that's a very elite crowd isn't it? Klose is easily one of the top 30 strikers around at the moment and you can probably say that about him for the last 10 years, too. He's never been the elite striker everyone craved, but he's always been a reliable man to spearhead an attack. Will go down in history as a very good striker. Not quite world class, but certainly never poor or to be forgotten.

You can also argue that der Bomber played in an era where there were many more dwarf teams and tactics weren't developed enough to deal with vastly superior attacking teams. The days when teams like Luxembourg or Malta were beaten 10-0 routinely. As always, it is very hard comparing players, certainly from different eras.

He was in the 8-0 over Saudi Arabia.

Also, there weren't that many minnows in Muller's era - just compare the sheer number of European nations we have now competing compared to 30 years ago. URSS split, Yugoslavia split, the likes of Liechtenstein and Faroe Islands started fielding up teams, etc.

Think it was also the fact that teams were much more attack-minded back then, I mean who the hell will break the goal records of Dixie Dean & Jimmy Greaves in the current era :D

This is a nice article from Uli Hesse about Muller's prolific year in 72-73

http://www.espnfc.com/story/1228330

Probably because Germany haven't produced a top quality striker since Rudi Voller.

Oliver Bierhoff. Outstanding record for Germany (and his clubs), would have more goals if he didn't make his debut late (late compared to Voller, and in general).

You take that improved Luxembourg and Malta and switch it with Faroes and San Marinos, etc though

Oliver Bierhoff. Outstanding record for Germany (and his clubs), would have more goals if he didn't make his debut late (late compared to Voller, and in general).

I had a think about him but don't think he was ever top class, was good though.

Haha, so defensive whenever someone says anything about Germany :p

it was a cheek in tongue reply and not meant that seriously

Bierhoff: He was a very late bloomer sadly for him and his reputation, i dont rate him up there with Voller and Klose

Klose isn't technically a brilliant footballer, but at his prime he was a brilliant striker. Intelligent off-the ball movement, both vertically and laterally, he could assist as well as score. He was tall and powerful, fairly quick as well. But as I said, he is so underrated because his best asset was intelligence and movement, which often goes unnoticed. He can spearhead an attack as a lone forward leading the line, he can play in a more fluid system, like Germany's. Brilliant striker.

Klose isn't technically a brilliant footballer, but at his prime he was a brilliant striker. Intelligent off-the ball movement, both vertically and laterally, he could assist as well as score. He was tall and powerful, fairly quick as well. But as I said, he is so underrated because his best asset was intelligence and movement, which often goes unnoticed. He can spearhead an attack as a lone forward leading the line, he can play in a more fluid system, like Germany's. Brilliant striker.

Exactly. People just judge by the goals but Klose is a complete striker who doesnt score just to score but sees the teammate in the better scoring position and will provide him with the assist which Ronaldo as far as I remember wasnt know for at all. Excellent team player.

Klose, like just about any other striker ever, isn't in the same league as Ronaldo. He's a great striker, sure, but a million miles behind Ronaldo in lots of ways, in my opinion. I agree with jmr, here, not one of the all-time greats.

Archived