Sports Interactive Community
Jimbokav1971

My Big Fat GK can score more than your Big Fat GK (Blast from the past challenge).

Posted (edited)

I'll just leave this here. :cool:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39321358

Platinum Stars goalkeeper scores twice in Confederation Cup

Sharethis page
Mbongeni Mzimela
Goalkeeper Mbongeni Mzimela converted two penalties as Platinum Stars beat Vipers 3-1 in the African Confederation Cup

Goalkeeper Mbongeni Mzimela was the unexpected two-goal hero as Platinum Stars of South Africa booked an African Confederation Cup play-off place.

The 31-year-old converted two penalties in a 3-1 victory over Vipers of Uganda that overturned a 1-0 away defeat in the last-32 tie.

Mzimela, who also scored from a spot kick in a midweek South African FA Cup victory, put Stars in front after only two minutes.

Ndumiso Mabena doubled the lead from a free-kick before half-time in Rustenburg.

Milton Karisa scored for Confederation Cup debutants Vipers on 55 minutes to nudge his club in front on the away goal rule.

Mzimela had the final say, however, converting another penalty a minute into stoppage time to rescue the South African club.

Edited by Jimbokav1971

On 03/03/2017 at 09:17, profii said:

I scored a goal whilst playing in goal a couple of weeks ago at six a side... Count me for 1 :cool:

Congrats. We all started with 1 at some point. :applause:

Posted (edited)
On 01/03/2017 at 23:55, MCPlay said:

I'm doing this as a part of my youth academy challenge. My goalkeeper Dave Owen is at 97 goals in 629 apps, at 29 years old. He has only cracked double digit scoring numbers in one season, which is a bit low compared to some of the greats of this thread.

97 goals is fantastic. Better than fantastic. :applause:

Edited by Jimbokav1971

On 19/02/2017 at 20:01, Tecmo said:

Anyone tried this in 17? My first game using my goalkeeper for free kicks I had a shot bounced off the wall and the opposition subsequently hit a 55 yard strike on my open goal.

That is indeed a risk, but it's something that you can at least try to avoid if not avoid completely. Have multiple layers of players to try and recycle the ball at every opportunity is what I go for. It's not 100% but it certainly keeps defensive issues down to reasonable levels. 

On 11/10/2016 at 00:49, leonavich said:

Been away for a while. 

Canini is currently on 159 career goals and is at the age of 34. I don't think he will carry on for too much longer but if he can hang in there for 4-5 mor years, he may still reach 200.

canini34.JPG

caninitotal.JPG

Is there a final update for Canini?

On 19/02/2017 at 20:01, Tecmo said:

Anyone tried this in 17? 

My Icelandic save is still seeing my GK's score fairly regularly. 

2480ee2ae1a5f4f88a13127fc9d2fca1.png

50 goals in 320 appearances is a goal every 6.4 games for (24b) Ben Óli (Amb) *. Were it not for the fact that there are so few League games in an Icelandic season, (22 games to be precise), the number of goals scored at this stage of his career, (he's 27), would probably be double what it is now. 

(32c) Joe (USA) (F.Pro) * has better PA but looks like he will out-grow us and move on to pastures new, 

What determines the result of a penalty?

I have 2 senior GK's at the moment and both of them are obviously set to take penalties. 

GK #1 has scored 6 penalties from 6 attempts. 

3385aac790e0935f70e535027d5a5ac6.png

GK #2 has scored 2 penalties from 7 attempts

9cd8c32a9ee38164640252e0e90cece1.png

Now I have commented previously about my thinking that the free-kick attribute is mistaken for the handling attribute when the game is calculating the result, (it's in the same position on the player profile screen, and if I were to use that for penalties then it's rushing out that should be used instead, (and I am much less confidant about that as a statement, which in itself weakens my position on the free-kick situation). 

Over and above the above theories however, I think that there are significant "modifiers" to the calculations and the biggest of this is morale. It's absolutely enormous.

Looking at the above pictures, it's easy to see that (32c) Joe (USA) (F.Pro) * is unhappy because I have blocked multiple transfers. He has 3 years left on his contract, (with an option for 3 more on top of that), so to be honest I have little reason to sell him. He's kept 10 clean sheets in 16 games so his performances have been ok if unspectacular, and I personally think that his saved penalties, (because they are saved rather than missed), is the only issue I have with him. My thinking is that if I keep playing him, then he might get a goal, (or even a clean sheet might be enough), and his morale will improve, but every time he either misses a penalty or concedes a goal, then it's actually another nail in his morale coffin rather than the boost that I am looking for. The reason that I am blaming his morale for missing 5 of 7 penalties is because previously he has performed well in this area when morale wasn't an issue. 

(32c) Joe (USA) (F.Pro) * has scored 11 goals in 69 appearances at a rate of a goal every 6.27 games. 

(24b) Ben Óli (Amb) * has scored 59 goals in 367 appearances at a rate of a goal every 6.22 games. 

The comparison is reasonable over the course of their careers and if (32c) Joe (USA) (F.Pro) * had scores all of his penalties this season, (as Ben has), then his ratio would be a goal every 4.3125 games. When you consider that he often plays in the "dirt-trackers", the weakened side where we are resting the starting XI for a big League game or a European game, then his performance is perhaps even more surprising.

I am probably going to look at selling him if I can't get his morale up, and if I don't sell him then I might have to look at an outfield player taking pens while he is on the pitch, (which I REALLY don't want to do).

Thoughts? 

Venezuela's Wuilker Faríñez becomes the first goalkeeper ever to score in the FIFA U-20 World Cup with this penalty kick against Vanuatu (...)

On 3/21/2017 at 08:52, Jimbokav1971 said:

Is there a final update for Canini?

I haven't been on here in about 8 months, but let me fire it up and get the latest!

He has added 6 more goals to his tally, to put him at 44 National team goals and 121 League goals. A total of 165 thus far.

To be fair, I haven't played all that much more, so I might give the save a go again until he retires. 

canini.JPG

I am another season down, so will post some stat updates once I get off from work.

Canini currently sits on 47 international goals in 241 appearances. 3 away from cracking the 50 for his country. 

5965c170a6ca9_canini35.thumb.JPG.6f636b3086bdd27a0ba4bcf799d6dd1e.JPG

He also has 126 club goals in 709 appearances.

5965c16ebaca2_canini352.thumb.JPG.df2c934805350d1fd78a9d03e034351f.JPG

This totals him at 173 career goals, however he is now at the tender age of 35. It seems like it might be a tough ask to have him reach 200 should he only have 3-4 years left at this level.

Fun fact I missed, he is one goal away from 100 league goals!

Might try and get this tonight :)

I am starting this challenge with my 17-year old GK (10 in Free kicks, 1 on Penalty Taking). I am currently improving his freekick by training. Maybe I should focus on penalty ?

So far, it is 1 penalty on 2 attempts and 0 FC on 20 attempts in 10 matchs !

Had 3 goals in my latest season from Asmir Begovic - all from the penalty spot.

I'm not even doing it to be 'cool' - he has the attributes to be one of my better penalty takers!

On 02/08/2017 at 22:11, boonty said:

I am starting this challenge with my 17-year old GK (10 in Free kicks, 1 on Penalty Taking). I am currently improving his freekick by training. Maybe I should focus on penalty ?

So far, it is 1 penalty on 2 attempts and 0 FC on 20 attempts in 10 matchs !

I can't tell you what it is that determines the outcome of a penalty. What I can tell you is that it's not his penalty taking attribute. 

Good luck and welcome to the madness. 

On 13/09/2017 at 23:31, Lenzar said:

Had 3 goals in my latest season from Asmir Begovic - all from the penalty spot.

I'm not even doing it to be 'cool' - he has the attributes to be one of my better penalty takers!

I didn't think anyone did this to be cool. Strange and weird, perhaps, but not cool. :lol:

On 12/07/2017 at 07:42, leonavich said:

Fun fact I missed, he is one goal away from 100 league goals!

Might try and get this tonight :)

How are you getting on Leon?

On 7/12/2017 at 08:36, leonavich said:

Canini currently sits on 47 international goals in 241 appearances. 3 away from cracking the 50 for his country. 

5965c170a6ca9_canini35.thumb.JPG.6f636b3086bdd27a0ba4bcf799d6dd1e.JPG

Seriously 241 international appearances???

Have you played the game since, leon? How far have you managed to push him? Does it reset at 255 or is it not stored in one byte? :)

I have a sneaking suspicion that the old numbers are going to be MUCH harder to get this season. 

Any GK scoring at any time will be a FAR bigger deal in FM18 than it has been for a long while. 

Come on lads, tell us if your GK scores in FM18. :thup: