How to encourage runs behind a defence?

I am playing a 4-1-2-1-2 where the front 2 are in wide positions as inside forwards. In theory, this should work due to the runs those IFs make. However, there does seem to be a lack of penetration at times because of a lack of runs behind the defence from the IFs. Does anyone know how to encourage these sort of runs?

I am playing a 4-1-2-1-2 where the front 2 are in wide positions as inside forwards. In theory, this should work due to the runs those IFs make. However, there does seem to be a lack of penetration at times because of a lack of runs behind the defence from the IFs. Does anyone know how to encourage these sort of runs?

Well they need someone to create the space to be able to do it, if not the 2 central defenders will be able to easily defend against it as they have no-one to really mark so will always be free. You need to make them work and drag them out of position somehow.

Also the more attacking you are the less likely you'll see runs in behind the defence due to playing too aggressive and high which pens the opposition deep in their own half.

I have an enganche in that role who should drag opposing centre backs out their position. But I am not getting as much runs in behind as I would like. Does anyone know of any PPMs/attributes to really increase these sort of runs?

Well if the other team plays with a DM then they will just stand next to your Enganche as he is quite static (in his description anyway). Then the CB's do what Cleon said and just stay there, mark thin air and get a cigar out. Try Treq and see if it makes any difference. Also have you tried play narrower on your IF's? Might be worth a go, these are just ideas.

I use a 4-1-2-1-2 at liverpool with great success. I use coutinho as AP/A Suarez as CF/S and Sturridge as a poacher. Between them they tear defences apart. Bear in mind this works with these guys and I don't know what players you have at your disposal. If the opposition have a good Dm you may have to think again. Might be worth a shot though.

Archived