An Englishman Abroad

Historically in RL very few English players cross the water to play for clubs in other countries so how many of the current England squad in your save play abroad (Non UK)?

In mine its 2019 and four are at foreign clubs:

Martin Kelly (DRC) - Inter (Italy)

Jack Wilshere (MC) - Monaco (France)

Wilfried Zaha (AMR) - Udinese (Italy)

Tom Ince (AMRL) - CSKA Moscow (Russia)

In September 2054 Spanish manager Pedro Chirivella has five players in the squad playing abroad.

Rhys Hutchins - AS Nancy Lorraine. 54 caps he has moved to France in the summer just gone from Valencia. He signed for them from Aston Villa for £12.5m

Ashley Deaman - Athletico Madrid. 87 caps, he has just recently moved to Spain from West Ham.

Alex Ikechukwu - FC Twente. 12 caps the 24 year old started out at Sunshine Stars in Nigeria before moving to League One Brentford. Was sold to FC Twente for £4.3m two years later and has been there for most of the last 7 years. Had loan spells in the PL at Liverpool and Championship with Derby.

Ellis Charlick - Inter Milan. 20 caps. He has gone from Watford to Chelsea to MK Dons and now Inter. Almost ever present in the past three seasons.

Ali Okwara - Real Madrid. Career started at League One Leyton Orient before a £850k move to Nottm Forest was followed by a £4.4m move to Sevilla without playing a game for his two previous clubs. Was there for five years before a move to Real Madrid and has been there ever since apart from a 5 game spell on loan for me in the PL. Very much back up keeper for Real Madrid.

On the England profile page injured defender John Battersby is classed in the Top Players section and only injury in keeping him out of the squad. He has 75 caps and has been at Barcelona for 4 years following a £30.5m move from Stoke.

July 2031.

Thorpey DC playing for Sevilla.

Simpson DL playing for Schalke.

Stokes DM playing for Barca.

Ibbitson MC playing for Monaco.

Hodges SC playing for Bochum.

Smith GK playing for Celtic.

Kavanagh SC playing for Sporting.

Huggins DC playing for Cottbus.

Rimmer MC playing for Werder Bremen.

Searle RWB playing for Swansea.

Daniels GK playing for Olympiakos.

August 2017 I'm Napoli and have Will Hughes and Luke Shaw

Current England Squad

Eric Dier- PSG

Nationhal Chalabah- Monaco

Tom Ince- Shaktar

Steven Caulker- Inter

Ex-Internationals

Matt Jarvis- Caglairi

Stewert Downing- Vitesse

Others of Note

Adam Le Fondre- Angers

Joe Lewis- Dundalk

I had five starters and four subs from the World Cup Final England side (they won, beating Argentina 2-0) playing for my Lincoln Gibraltar side. Not quite abroad though I suppose...makes sense that those unimaginative Englishers would fancy a move to a more Sunny version of Britain.

In September 2054 Spanish manager Pedro Chirivella has five players in the squad playing abroad.

Rhys Hutchins - AS Nancy Lorraine. 54 caps he has moved to France in the summer just gone from Valencia. He signed for them from Aston Villa for £12.5m

Ashley Deaman - Athletico Madrid. 87 caps, he has just recently moved to Spain from West Ham.

Alex Ikechukwu - FC Twente. 12 caps the 24 year old started out at Sunshine Stars in Nigeria before moving to League One Brentford. Was sold to FC Twente for £4.3m two years later and has been there for most of the last 7 years. Had loan spells in the PL at Liverpool and Championship with Derby.

Ellis Charlick - Inter Milan. 20 caps. He has gone from Watford to Chelsea to MK Dons and now Inter. Almost ever present in the past three seasons.

Ali Okwara - Real Madrid. Career started at League One Leyton Orient before a £850k move to Nottm Forest was followed by a £4.4m move to Sevilla without playing a game for his two previous clubs. Was there for five years before a move to Real Madrid and has been there ever since apart from a 5 game spell on loan for me in the PL. Very much back up keeper for Real Madrid.

On the England profile page injured defender John Battersby is classed in the Top Players section and only injury in keeping him out of the squad. He has 75 caps and has been at Barcelona for 4 years following a £30.5m move from Stoke.

Is that Pedro Chirivella the EX Liverpool player?

Is that Pedro Chirivella the EX Liverpool player?

Yes it is. He had loan spells at Middlesbrough, QPR and Granada before moving to Barcelona for £4.7m. He stayed there until retiring in 2035. He spent 15 years in charge of Sevilla before spending 4 years at Arsenal. Has just left the PL Champions for the England job.

• 2 weeks later...

In 2020, quite a few, actually

John Stones (playing for Atalanta)

Cauley Woodrow (playing for Freiburg)

Wilfried Zaha (playing for Olympique Lyonais)

Raheem Sterling (playing for PSG)

Steven Caulker (playing for PSG)

manager is Michael Laudrup, too.

march 2047

Damien Sturdy, DRL, 31 - AC Milan

Alex Reynolds, GK, 35 - Monaco

Martyn Maylett, DLC, 32 - Atletico

Toby Coxall, DRC, 30 - Dunfermline

Richard Stanhope, DMC, 30 - Dunfermline

Ashley Rice, MR, 25 - Dunfermline

Mark Donoghue, MR, 27 - Juventus

Mike Branch, AML, 31 - Maritimo

Stewart McCann, MC/ST, 30 - Real Madrid

Austin Danvers, DC, 26 - Real Madrid

Grant Burke, GK, 33 - Celtic

I think this wins for the sheer WTF-ness of it.

Don't get it either. Southampton were relegated, he was offered out for £11.5m. I had no transfer budget so I offered £0m with £11.5 after the first game but only if he was loaned back to Soton. Soton agreed, he didn't. A couple weeks later I see him go to Gremio for something like £2m. I don't even have the Brazilian leagues loaded!

I'm way into the future but checking on where current players ended up.

Raheem Sterling played over 200 games for PSG.

Gary Cahill spent five years at Juventus.

Danny Welbeck fell out of favour at Man U and spent a year on loan at FC Twente, before returning to spend his entire career at Blackburn.

These are the only three I can find that played overseas.

Wayne Rooney never played abroad but managed AC Milan for a while.

John Terry never played abroad but managed Atletico Madrid for a short time.

Most of the rest either never became notable enough to have their history saved after retirement, so I can't see, or are seeing out their lives in nondescript roles having never played abroad. eg Rickie Lambert has been a scout for Redditch for the last 33 years.

The current England side (2048) have two players abroad, at Inter and PSG, however that's mainly my influence since they both used to play for me and I transferred them abroad.

February 2039 in my save and there are 4 players plying their trade outside of the English leagues:

GK - Matthew Richards, 25yo, 4 caps, CELTIC

DC - Jason Simon, 28yo, 39 caps, JUVENTUS

AML - Sam Forbes, 28yo, 38 caps, JUVENTUS

AMC - Alistair Oberstellar (great name btw!), 25yo, 1 cap, LORIENT

Had a quick look throught the U21s and there is one from RANGERS and one from CELTIC.

U19s again has one player at RANGERS and a 16yo GK playing for FREIBURG in the Bundesliga.

I'm still baffled by the concept of people mentioning Scottish teams as abroad (apart from robzilla above, who more accurately described it). Even more interesting was calling Swansea abroad, despite them playing in an English league...

• 4 weeks later...

In May 2017, the following players are current or ex-England players and play abroad:

James Milner - Malaga

Phil Jagielka - Valencia

Tom Ince - Udinese

David Bentley - San Jose

Tom Huddlestone - FC Dallas

I've only got England loaded, so that may or may not affect things.

Archived