Old Players still not passed it.

trueblue

There loads of threads for young talents etc but I dont see many on the older players.

I normally concentrate on youth myself, but this save as I am Rangers and have little in the way of any cash I have been playing my own youth players and decided to bring in a couple of older heads both for balance and mentoring etc. A lot of players IRL continue on a lot longer these days,, just look at Giggs.

I have to say I have been pleasantly surprised by a couple,, so I thought why not have a thread where you can post some of the older buys you brought in on the cheap,, wither you had to adapt where they normally played as they got older,, what lgs they where still good for,, and how they did for you,,,, both successful and fails.

For me then my best so far has got to have been Peter Crouch. Brought him in on the free when Rangers where in the championship at 33,, agreed to just 2k a week,, and scored first game and went on to get 13 goals in 16 games. So far in the SPFL he has 7 in 13 games with 4 assists.

I also signed Demy De Zeeuw at 32 (ok not too old),, for free and low wages and he too has been fairly consistent at the heart of the midfield.

My worst one was Jermaine Beckford,, took at a chance on him as he was only 30,, played 6 games and scored 2 before getting injured,, but it was his attitude that pissed me off,,, refused every time to tutor young players,,, got rid when i got crouch in the jan window.

So who have you had any luck with?

I agree, there are fantastic older players out there and they often get overlooked. Whether it's because they are already 'famous' is another matter.

Buying him might not be achievable given his wages and age, but I inherited Diego Milito when I took over at Inter and he was fantastic. He was 34, his stats were declining, but he was so consistent and had a knack for being in the right place at the right time. See also Cambiasso.

So good to hear so many good older players still worth a punt, and with the 50% of future sale option in the negotiations you can often get them on really cheaper wages too, and a lot are free agents ,,, anyone had any bad ones tho so as to warn off others lol

This guy propelled my team in the Portugese 2nd division to promotion, we were predicted to finish 20th from 22, games we were without him we did terribly in as well.

20 goals and 12 assists from 33 appearances at AMC

ScreenHunter_135May272159.jpg

Walter Montillo

Dario Conca

Both are expensive and eat up a lot of wages but they are miles better than most AMs. Just go to Montillo's attribute page and press find similar players to see exactly what I mean.

Also Raul is still awesome (did a save with Al Sadd in Qatar recently). Oh and I second VERON. In my ESTUDIANTES LP save he was sublime. But he's impossible to buy for any team I suspect.

Alex - 36 (I think?!) at the start of the game and still an amazing player!

IIRC there is a thread about him in this forum

This. Alex is an absolute beast, his stats are still unreal, and he scores so many goals for Coritiba.

Nenê - AM - age 31 - Al-Gharrafa

Mohammed Aboutrika - AM - age 34- Al-Ahly

Ahmed Hassan - MC - age 38 - Zamalek

Juan Arrango - Winger - age 33 - Gladbach

Ali Karimi - AM - age 34 - Persepolis

Andrés d'alessandro - AM - age 32 - Internacional

Marco di Vaio - ST - age 36 - Montreal Impact

Alessandro del Pierro - ST- age 38 - Sydney FC

Walter Samuel - DC - Age 35 - Inter Milan

Mirel Rãdoi - DC - age 32 - Al-Ain

Jan Kozak was my first signing for Falkirk at 33, turned out to be player of the season and won numerous awards also helping us get promoted to the premier league and earning himself a big money move to Qatar at the end of it.. Also considered a club favourite.. After one season!

The one and only Timmy Simons. 37 y/o and a lot of ppl in Belgium are surprised why he wasnt selected for the World Cup

a lot of people being 5 from Bruges? Most people thought it would be injustifiable to send him to Brazil.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived