The Anybody But England Thread.

• Replies 872
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just didn't see where the hype was coming from after the Italy game and glad I was proved right second game. Ah well lads, a glorious friendly v Costa Rica on Tuesday to look forward to :thup:

Who are Wales playing in a friendly on Tuesday?

Who are Wales playing in a friendly on Tuesday?

Our lads will be resting after a tiring season of trophy-winning goals at the FA Cup, Copa Del Rey and Champions League Final. Feel bad for the English, no rest and the Euro qualifiers start in September. I can see you messing it up bigger than the 08 qualifiers :lol:

Still don't understand the need to continue to take the **** out of England. Smacks of big inferiority complex. Especially when the teams never qualify themselves.

We get it, England are out and out after two matches for the first time since the 50s. That's apparently cause for wild celebrations. May as well get the welsh and Scottish teams to do an open top bus parade in honour of England being rubbish (and the majority of English people knowing this'll happen to boot)

Still don't understand the need to continue to take the **** out of England. Smacks of big inferiority complex. Especially when the teams never qualify themselves.

We get it, England are out and out after two matches for the first time since the 50s. That's apparently cause for wild celebrations. May as well get the welsh and Scottish teams to do an open top bus parade in honour of England being rubbish (and the majority of English people knowing this'll happen to boot)

Probably the same reason Chelsea, man united, arsenal and Everton fans were singing about Gerrard slipping on his arse for weeks.

Do you not understand football and it's fans?

And it's been less than 48 hours since England went out, not exactly 4 months fella

Probably the same reason Chelsea, man united, arsenal and Everton fans were singing about Gerrard slipping on his arse for weeks.

Do you not understand football and it's fans?

And it's been less than 48 hours since England went out, not exactly 4 months fella

I understand modern football fans. They prefer to delight in watching others fail than bothering what their own teams do. Doesn't mean I have to condone or accept it though.

I understand modern football fans. They prefer to delight in watching others fail than bothering what their own teams do. Doesn't mean I have to condone or accept it though.

Sorry but this whole 'banter' descending into laughing at others, trolling at others, taunting them and basically ending up living for nothing else than the misery of others or trying to deflect from your own is typically the behaviour of English.

Every two years, however, they're all lumped in together and laughed at by the rest of the world. We don't care about your little Gerrard/Rooney L'pool/Utd infights and blame games. You're all English, your team is a joke, always has been and always will be.

Sorry but this whole 'banter' descending into laughing at others, trolling at others, taunting them and basically ending up living for nothing else than the misery of others or trying to deflect from your own is typically the behaviour of English.

Every two years, however, they're all lumped in together and laughed at by the rest of the world. We don't care about your little Gerrard/Rooney L'pool/Utd infights and blame games. You're all English, your team is a joke, always has been and always will be.

You realise I am as anti England team as it comes, right?

Who's celebrating?

All I see is people laughing at how crap England are, nothing else. I don't think anyone has ever 'celebrated' England failing.

Speak for yourself.

We had a street party. Alex Salmond turned up to perform a ceremonial burning of an effigy of princess Diana, we beat a troupe of morris dancers to death, then indulged in a three day long drink and drug-fuelled orgy. I've only just taken the bunting down and there's a ton of leftover trifle and sandwiches.

Wouldn't want to disappoint the English who think Scots only live to hate them after all.

How can we be bothered about what our team has or hasnt done at a competition we never came close to qualifying for?? :D Trust me, we spent plenty of time analysing why we didnt get here months ago, now is the time to laugh at England for miserably failing yet again, they can laugh at us when we fail to qualify for the next tournament.

I don't know why people bother getting into a thing about it. Who cares what the Jocks and Welsh think? At the end of the day they'll always be Scottish and Welsh. Isn't that punishment enough? ;)

I don't know why people bother getting into a thing about it. Who cares what the Jocks and Welsh think? At the end of the day they'll always be Scottish and Welsh. Isn't that punishment enough? ;)

The "thing" is one of puzzlement. I actually don't give a crap about the England team or anything about it. I'm just trying to understand the mentality of "Oh England lost, let's rub it in their faces and have a party" it makes no sense.

The "thing" is one of puzzlement. I actually don't give a crap about the England team or anything about it. I'm just trying to understand the mentality of "Oh England lost, let's rub it in their faces and have a party" it makes no sense.

because it's fun to watch the breakdown of the media who have really let their mask drop in the last few days :D

was reading a column at the weekend and a journalist was ripping into them, despite this being the World Cup for players to get development and experience. Said people were "brainwashed" if they actually thought it was just a development World Cup

because it's fun to watch the breakdown of the media who have really let their mask drop in the last few days :D

was reading a column at the weekend and a journalist was ripping into them, despite this being the World Cup for players to get development and experience. Said people were "brainwashed" if they actually thought it was just a development World Cup

This. Nothing like a UK media postmortem when England go out of the competition.

Yeah.

The media pretty much expected England to get no points against Italy or Uruguay in their build up to the World Cup, they were the ones playing everything down, lowering people's expectations, then they get outraged when most England supporters aren't actually that bothered because they had low expectations.

I think the real problem the media have this time around is that Costa Rica have been outstanding. They can't wrap their heads around it. They didn't expect Costa Rica to do anything & thought England might sneak through with a result against one of the other sides. That has meant they've changed their mind on their view of Italy & Uruguay as - If Costa Rica can beat them, then England ought to have done so too.

it's that level of idiocy & ignorance from the media that brings this on.

Look at the start of the thread, loads of English posters wondering why this thread was needed as the Press had been sensible this time, hadn't built them up & were being realistic. That was never going to last.

I don't really see how losing 2-1 to two teams who are ranked above you in the FIFA rankings is "letting the country down" or "disgrace" or whatever other words they are using

it's not as if England were hammered 6-0 by both, they had their chances in the Italy game although I do think they played a lot worse in the Uruguay game. One of the reasons for the mask dropping could potentially be how easily Costa Rica beat Uruguay in the first game, it was 3 going on 4 or 5 really and Uruguay's defence looked awful. They then played a lot better V England but by that time, the English media expectations had rose because A - Uruguay's defence looked crap and B - surely England would beat Costa Rica and if Costa Rica could beat Uruguay, then they could beat them as well?

Yeah.

The media pretty much expected England to get no points against Italy or Uruguay in their build up to the World Cup, they were the ones playing everything down, lowering people's expectations, then they get outraged when most England supporters aren't actually that bothered because they had low expectations.

I think the real problem the media have this time around is that Costa Rica have been outstanding. They can't wrap their heads around it. They didn't expect Costa Rica to do anything & thought England might sneak through with a result against one of the other sides. That has meant they've changed their mind on their view of Italy & Uruguay as - If Costa Rica can beat them, then England ought to have done so too.

it's that level of idiocy & ignorance from the media that brings this on.

Look at the start of the thread, loads of English posters wondering why this thread was needed as the Press had been sensible this time, hadn't built them up & were being realistic. That was never going to last.

That would be a very valid point if the the reason given at the time was how bad the press is after tournaments instead of all that guff about how we were supposedly hyped.

To be fair though, like you say, the media has pretty much been a bit of a cluster**** since we went out (even one H Redknapp managing to get his name involved. If fore some reason he gets appointed post WC, lets keep this open for 2 years so all the English can get on board), but it's pretty much died down now. There's not really much outrage over the manager now his future's been clarified, which is an achievement considering how much the press love the guy he beat to the job. I think even if your side goes into a WC with no expectations, it's kinda unreasonable to expect no talk of what they can do better in future if they fail at the group stage, especially when looking at the roles that the younger players from this squad will play in 2/4 years time and how we're going to fit players in together if at all.

People underestimating Costa Rica isn't Alan Shearer not knowing who Hamsik is as well. I think there would be more of the reaction you describe that you say you've seen about being able to beat Uruguay and Italy if CR can, but almost every single group in this thing has had some kind of shock or a close possibility of one.

Hang on, werent you in the Man Utd thread all season laughing at them? How is this different?

I really hope, if we ever reach another tournament, that there in an anyone but scotland thread :D

Some clearly dont have the art of trolling down do they? 100's of desperate posts and not one bite :D

Are you a bit simple? Do you not understand the title of the thread? :confused:

If people were trolling they'd be in the official england thread that has many more active users that are english

Are you trying to tell us you aren't trolling and infact are a dribbler of the highest order? I mean I kind of came to that conclusion when you spent £500 on a girls drink but it's nice to get it officially.

Are you trying to tell us you aren't trolling and infact are a dribbler of the highest order? I mean I kind of came to that conclusion when you spent £500 on a girls drink but it's nice to get it officially.

that plays on your mind more than mine it seems!

"Are you a bit simple" The irony is simply stunning, really just incredible.

mate, at least jmr is evidently always on a wind up. you are such an idiot even the villa fans laugh/dismiss you. can't even remember if you're the 17/18 year old I'm on about but I'm pretty certain you are. one of the top 5 idiots on the board.

That's awful from Chopra :D

Have a good one in the Championship next season.

prefer the champ so am looking forward to it, thanks for the good wishes :cool:

£100 on a girls drink Chops?

What the hell are you playing at?

Better have been Kate Upton levels to even risk something like that!

£480 ha. On a high after watching Wales pass Holland off the park in their own backyard. We were hammered and in a bar waaaaaay too upmarket for us. Offered a girl a drink and she buys a bloody bottle of champagne for 485 odd for her and a couple of fairly ugly friends. Was that drunk it barely registered. My mate offered to buy her mate a drink and she ordered something like a gin and lemonade :D Ah well, only money, i'll win it back on my bet that Wales win Euro 16. :*)

Again the irony, you're not one of the top 5 you are THE idiot of the board. Oh and i'm 23 so obviously not the guy you are on about :D

I'm the best poster on the board, so you must be confusing me with someone else.

Pretty certain you're the guy I'm thinking of, must've just had your age wrong.

If you actually think the media give a flying **** about the England national team you are incorrect. All they care about is selling papers, which means coming up with as much sensationalist ***** as possible. The writers aren't sat at their desk crying into their irish coffees or raging at Roy Hodgson because we've been eliminated in the group stages. They're rubbing their hands together because they've got stuff to write about. If you wanna buy into that then that's your look out.

Hang on, werent you in the Man Utd thread all season laughing at them? How is this different?

I really hope, if we ever reach another tournament, that there in an anyone but scotland thread :D

No, I've actually never posted in the man united thread. Not in the years I've been around here. Don't know where you got that from.

If you actually think the media give a flying **** about the England national team you are incorrect. All they care about is selling papers, which means coming up with as much sensationalist ***** as possible. The writers aren't sat at their desk crying into their irish coffees or raging at Roy Hodgson because we've been eliminated in the group stages. They're rubbing their hands together because they've got stuff to write about. If you wanna buy into that then that's your look out.

I'm not that dense not to realise that :D

however there probably is some who want England to succeed, ones from the television mostly rather than newspapers

Archived