The Anybody But England Thread.

• Replies 872
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So why so much foaming and indignance when we have a wee giggle at England's continuing ineptitude?

Tbh, the 'well Scotland are sh*te anyway' defence is just hilarious.

1. Goading a people who are as comfortable with deriding their own nation doesn't really work as a bait.

2. Comparatively speaking, money and population wise, England are even bigger wasters and perpetual under-achievers than Scotland.

So again, why do so many Englanders throw the toys out of the pram when we have a bit of a gloat if they genuinely don't care about an insignificant diddy country?

No throwing toys out of prams, it's just weird that people concentrate more on laughing at their rivals than supporting their own.

Have the england fans started riots since they've been knocked out?

that's something that seems to have been stamped out in recent years, probably because most are realistic on their chances

No throwing toys out of prams, it's just weird that people concentrate more on laughing at their rivals than supporting their own.

Yeah because we've got a lot to support at the minute dont we? :lol:

Or do you think we ignore our qualifying games and sit waiting for England to mess up instead? :rolleyes:

You know as well as I do that I so have the upper hand here. I only have to call you a Nationalist to get you PMing me bleating.

That's a total crock and you know it.

The only reason I PM'd you is because you were insinuating that all forms of nationalism, people supporting the SNP included, were akin to goose-stepping, zeig-heil'ing fascists. I kindly asked you to refrain from being so indiscriminate, and highlighted a few salient points regards the fundamental differences therein.

Show the PM's if you want to argue, I don't mind. Normally I have a degree of respect for you as a mod, poster, and OTF personality, but sorry, I'm calling you on this for the total BS it is.

You'd have a point if Scotland/Ireland/Wales or whoever were actually playing. Then it's very much a case of 'oh... and how did Engerlund get on?'.

We're not, so why should we not have a wee snigger at England?

That's a total crock and you know it.

The only reason I PM'd you is because you were insinuating that all forms of nationalism, people supporting the SNP included, were akin to goose-stepping, zeig-heil'ing fascists. I kindly asked you to refrain from being so indiscriminate, and highlighted a few salient points regards the fundamental differences therein.

Show the PM's if you want to argue, I don't mind. Normally I have a degree of respect for you as a mod, poster, and OTF personality, but sorry, I'm calling you on this for the total BS it is.

Actually it wasn't that at all. It was simply that you wanted me to either use or not use a capital N when using the word nationalist because you thought whichever one I was using would associate you with the nasty Nazi type of nationalists (the kind we get in England naturally). That is literally all it was. I only remember it because it was so bizarre. To me there's no difference between nationalist and Nationalist - to you apparently there is.

I've never associated the SNP or their supporters with parties like the EDL so anything you insinuated was your mistake not mine. But if it's how you want to see it then fine, it's no skin off my nose.

Anyway, all I've done today is put a couple of well timed comments in - one of which you rose to. Surely that's ok in this thread isn't it? All part of the banter no?

You'd have a point if Scotland/Ireland/Wales or whoever were actually playing. Then it's very much a case of 'oh... and how did Engerlund get on?'.

We're not, so why should we not have a wee snigger at England?

Because it's weird? I don't get that mentality.

I can't stand the mancs. I don't watch their games at all unless it's against us. If they win I shrug, if they lose I shrug. It's entirely nothing to do with my team what they do. All I can do is watch my team and hope they do well.

Have the england fans started riots since they've been knocked out?

They don't need to bother, their league is one of the best in the world and will start soon enough, so they can forget this World Cup quickly and move on to what is really important.

TWO GAMES :D :D Reckon I'd rather not qualify than go all the way there and know you're going to have to **** off home after playing 2 games :D

Will take being called weird or odd by monkeywool now.

Well to be fair we're going home after the same number of games that Scotland have had each time they've qualified so you're barking up the wrong tree there. :D

That's why we don't qualify anymore, we cba travelling thousands of miles just to get humped out at the earliest possible opportunity. Anyway the last time we were there we at least had a chance going into the third game :cool:

in recent times (after 1970 I mean) I don't really think we've been out before 2 games

74 > unbeaten

78 > had a chance in the Dutch 3rd game

82 > chance in the final game

86 > same

90 > same, Leighton's mistake ended that though

98 > skelped 3-0 by Morocco but still a chance :D

I'm sure in older World Cups we were probably out in 2 games, the 54 FIFA World Cup film showed Scotland getting routed 7-0 by Uruguay and then Austria winning 1-0 so I expect that was an elimination after 2

is that England's first time being out in 2 games?

Being moderately serious for a split second I actually have more affection for this England side than I have any of the others since 1996. We've done ok previously but I've had no real interest, but the attitude of this team, particularly against Italy made me want them to win.

Sadly the quality was lacking but that's what happens when you have too many Liverpool players who have been made to look better than they are by the man who ultimately put us out. :D

it will be interesting to see what the England side is like when you get to Euro 2016/World Cup 2018

definite potential in there and I would expect Gerrard will probably be away, potentially Rooney when you get to WC2018 maybe - probably not 2016 though

Actually it wasn't that at all. It was simply that you wanted me to either use or not use a capital N when using the word nationalist because you thought whichever one I was using would associate you with the nasty Nazi type of nationalists (the kind we get in England naturally). That is literally all it was. I only remember it because it was so bizarre. To me there's no difference between nationalist and Nationalist - to you apparently there is.

I've never associated the SNP or their supporters with parties like the EDL so anything you insinuated was your mistake not mine. But if it's how you want to see it then fine, it's no skin off my nose.

Anyway, all I've done today is put a couple of well timed comments in - one of which you rose to. Surely that's ok in this thread isn't it? All part of the banter no?

I didn't rise to anything, just drew exception to your use of the word 'bleating' when my pm to you was nothing of the sort.

Seems like you're a bit more irked than you're letting on by something you claim not to care about if you're resorting to bringing up pm convos from years back, which to be honest, I'd completely forgotten about until you mentioned it. Carry on though :thup:

is that England's first time being out in 2 games?

It's the first time we've not progressed past round one since 1958 and in that we weren't out after two games (we drew all three matches)

I didn't rise to anything, just drew exception to your use of the word 'bleating' when my pm to you was nothing of the sort.

Seems like you're a bit more irked than you're letting on by something you claim not to care about if you're resorting to bringing up pm convos from years back, which to be honest, I'd completely forgotten about until you mentioned it. Carry on though :thup:

I was referring to the original comment you rose to.

As for the second bit... yeah whatever.

the only thing I could think of was the 1988 European Championships when England lost to Republic Of Ireland, Soviet Union and the Dutch

not sure if that was elimination after 2 though

I was referring to the original comment you rose to.

Presumably by this you're referring to the St.Johnstone/Dundee dillema, which as a Dundee fan I can assure you is every bit as bizarre as anything between England/Scotland. How you conclude that pointing out what a load of nonsense it is is 'rising' to something is just bewildering :D

Presumably by this you're referring to the St.Johnstone/Dundee dillema, which as a Dundee fan I can assure you is every bit as bizarre as anything between England/Scotland. How you conclude that pointing out what a load of nonsense it is is 'rising' to something is just bewildering :D

I have no idea what you're talking about.

My comment was this:

It's just that we're far more significant to you than you are to us that's all.

Forget it anyway. When someone's trying to tell me I'm irked, I know it's already in the bag. Don't take it personally Boltman, you know I love you baby (I barely remember most people's usernames so I must do). It's all larks.

It's just that we're far more significant to you than you are to us that's all.

It's exactly this I'm referring to.

St.Johnstone fans loathe Dundee with a passion, conversely, Dundee don't give a hoot about St.Johnstone as until now they've always been a parochial country-bumpkin little cousin. St.Johnstone won a Cup recently, I don't know a single Dundee fan who wasn't happy for them, yet St.Johnstone fans can not get their head around the fact we just don't feel the seething hatred for them that they harbour for us.

Obvious parallels with Scotland and England there, except using the 'we don't care about you anyway' ploy is totally lost on Scotland fans when it's coming from English, yet the same thing enrages St.Johnstone fans when it comes from Dundee.

What I find bizarre are the Englanders who pull out the 'you're insignificant anyway' retort when it's quite clear they've been totally rattled by a bit of gentle ribbing from a Scot. We know we're insignificant, but obviously we're not to the Englishman who resorts to it since quite clearly they're feeling so irked they had to bring it up! That's the funny part.

In a sense I'm agreeing with you by originally pointing out how nuts it is. The only reason I took this further is because I think it's quite poor form that you had to bring up private messages to try and score points. Pretty poor form from anyone really, but I honestly expected more from you, and especially so that you're now a Mod for god's sake.

back to England, I see journalists are snapping away after a tournament where they said at the start "young kids, going there for experience and to develop" etc

one saying that they should be issuing apologies to the fans for travelling to that "humilation". Wouldn't really say it was a humiliation? they only lost two games 2-1

Average age of the starting 11 v's Italy was 26.8, only player under 23 was Sterling. Not so sure how 'young' a team this actually is. Italy 11 average age was 27.4 or something. Take Gerrard and Pirlo out of the equation and the difference is even smaller. Are the media suggesting they just play the U-21 team or what?

It's exactly this I'm referring to.

St.Johnstone fans loathe Dundee with a passion, conversely, Dundee don't give a hoot about St.Johnstone as until now they've always been a parochial country-bumpkin little cousin. St.Johnstone won a Cup recently, I don't know a single Dundee fan who wasn't happy for them, yet St.Johnstone fans can not get their head around the fact we just don't feel the seething hatred for them that they harbour for us.

Obvious parallels with Scotland and England there, except using the 'we don't care about you anyway' ploy is totally lost on Scotland fans when it's coming from English, yet the same thing enrages St.Johnstone fans when it comes from Dundee.

What I find bizarre are the Englanders who pull out the 'you're insignificant anyway' retort when it's quite clear they've been totally rattled by a bit of gentle ribbing from a Scot. We know we're insignificant, but obviously we're not to the Englishman who resorts to it since quite clearly they're feeling so irked they had to bring it up! That's the funny part.

In a sense I'm agreeing with you by originally pointing out how nuts it is. The only reason I took this further is because I think it's quite poor form that you had to bring up private messages to try and score points. Pretty poor form from anyone really, but I honestly expected more from you, and especially so that you're now a Mod for god's sake.

I didn't think it would cause offence to be honest, it was meant light-heartedly. Clearly I made an error.

It has nothing to do with points scoring, this isn't even a debate to me. I've no interest in what other England fans have to say on the relationship between Scotland and England - it has nothing to do with me what another Englishman has to say on the subject any more than it it does what you think. An England fan who can't take a bit of ribbing is no better or worse than a Scot who can't.

I've made my position clear a number of times. I don't have a single problem with Scots, Irish, Welsh, Aussies or whoever taking the mickey out of England's demise in the world cup. Why the hell not? We've gone out after two games ffs.

Now stop being such a big hairy Scottish girl and have a bit of fun at our expense ffs. Jeez, you'll have a heart-attack if you're not careful - fatty foods and stress... not good bed fellows.

Oh and I nearly forgot... I've been on here for 14 years ffs. Do I still really have to explain that my comments earlier weren't in any way a reflection of my true feelings on the matter? So disappointing. :(

Average age of the starting 11 v's Italy was 26.8, only player under 23 was Sterling. Not so sure how 'young' a team this actually is. Italy 11 average age was 27.4 or something. Take Gerrard and Pirlo out of the equation and the difference is even smaller. Are the media suggesting they just play the U-21 team or what?

I think they mean squad, Barkley is only 20, Shaw is 18, Ox is 20, Sterling 19 and Wilshere/Jones are only 22

I think they mean squad, Barkley is only 20, Shaw is 18, Ox is 20, Sterling 19 and Wilshere/Jones are only 22

Aye, but so far the only 'experience' most of them have gained is a bit of a sight-seeing tour around Brazil. If you're going to blood kids then surely that involves playing them.

Aye, but so far the only 'experience' most of them have gained is a bit of a sight-seeing tour around Brazil. If you're going to blood kids then surely that involves playing them.

they might get to play in the dead rubber though, you'd think they should at least use Shaw and Barkley at least to see what they can do

At the very least you'd think they'd get a run out.

The thing I don't get is the media chopping and changing their tune dependent upon results. Old starting 11 loses - should have played the kids. Young starting 11 gets papped by Pirlo and Co, - not enough experience, should have played the old heads.

Doesn't matter any more - play the kids. The same kids who are going to get torn to bits by the same media when they go out in the quarters at the next Euros.

I'd like to see him play the young squad players personally.

The problem is unfortunately that Roy is going to want to get a result out of the Costa Rica match. It isn't a nothing match for him because a complete white wash will open him up to a serious media backlash (undeservedly imo) and while I think playing the kids would make a win more likely, he's likely to fall back on what he regards as his best side.

I have to say I was born in Dundee and lived there for some 20 years, my Father would drag me to some Dundee games and I have to say I never felt any rivalry with St Johnstone.

I know it is known as the 'Tayside' derby but I hardly ever heard a Dundee fan even care what St Johnstone were up to.

Also for about 6 years I was with a girl from Perth and would talk football with some St Johnstone fans and again never felt any rivalry from them regarding Dundee.

I must have missed that entirely.

it will be interesting to see what the England side is like when you get to Euro 2016/World Cup 2018

definite potential in there and I would expect Gerrard will probably be away, potentially Rooney when you get to WC2018 maybe - probably not 2016 though

It will be the same as it has been in recent times, hell I can almost read the complaints now.

"Why is Barkley being played on the left, he should be in the middle"

"Ohh FFS why don't we just play the kids and give them some experience"

"If we had brought Gerrard we would have won the competition"

I have to say I was born in Dundee and lived there for some 20 years, my Father would drag me to some Dundee games and I have to say I never felt any rivalry with St Johnstone.

I know it is known as the 'Tayside' derby but I hardly ever heard a Dundee fan even care what St Johnstone were up to.

Also for about 6 years I was with a girl from Perth and would talk football with some St Johnstone fans and again never felt any rivalry from them regarding Dundee.

Try talking to people form Aberfeldy etc. Mind you, it's difficult because they always leave at 3pm so they can get up to feed the sheep etc. That's why they have an affinity with Utd fans I suppose.

Try talking to people form Aberfeldy etc. Mind you, it's difficult because they always leave at 3pm so they can get up to feed the sheep etc. That's why they have an affinity with Utd fans I suppose.

Oh aye, and I forgot to mention, it tends to be more vitriolic the older the Johnnies fans are. Something to do with us needlessly relegating them while simultaneously winning the title on their own pitch.

Archived