Sports Interactive Community
Confused Clarity

The Anybody But England Thread.

There's always Costa Rica

There's always Costa Rica

Indeed, God help England when they come up against them, it could get really ugly!

Posted this in the match thread:

Put a bet on with betfair yesterday.

£4 on England to win 2-1 with odds of 17/2. - With the assurance of if England lose, I got my money back.

Had a moment of clarity today. So I put the following bets on.

£2 on Uruguay to win 2-0 with Suarez first goal scorer with odds of 65/1

£2 on Uruguay to win 2-1 with Suarez first goal scorer with odds of 50/1

Please Please Please Please Please stay the same scoreline now.

GO ME!

This is a bit boring with England genuinely being a sub-standard international side now. Wanted a win or two to get the fans into FEVER PITCH mode and they couldn't even manage that. :thdn:

This is a bit boring with England genuinely being a sub-standard international side now. Wanted a win or two to get the fans into FEVER PITCH mode and they couldn't even manage that. :thdn:

I agree.

I have a small bet that involves Germany which is the only team I really care about in this World Cup.

I really wanted some false optimism and maybe England to go through from the group with some ease and then in one of the next 2 rounds come up against a really good side that would show the gulf in class... I feel robbed!

:D

It's hilarious how quickly the general mood of 'it's alright, we played decent football against Italy, it's a pleasant change' has turned into 'Hodgson is clueless, Rooney and Gerard are a disgrace, English Football needs a rethink from the ground up'.

Same old nonsense every two years :D

Rooney blame is tiresome

England have scored 2 goals... Rooney Assist, and Rooney goal.

stevie G on the other hand...

the best one surely was tonight and the commentary between Tyldsley and Townsend :D

England get the Rooney goal, they are putting the pressure on and he's coming out with "this is alright isn't it" and then Suarez scores again and both of them sound like they are at a funeral. The strange thing is though, both teams were pretty poor in my honest opinion. If either of the two make it from the knockouts, they will have to improve significantly to have a chance

You Scotland fans will never experience the nerves/excitement of a World Cup, unlucky for being so **** it's ridiculous :cool:

You Scotland fans will never experience the nerves/excitement of a World Cup, unlucky for being so **** it's ridiculous :cool:

You do know we have played in the World Cup yeah?

Just for a trivial question, we were actually the only team to qualify for a World Cup 5 times in a row way back when.

had plenty of glorious failure to last me a lifetime at World Cups/Euros :D and much more on footage before I was around

would be nice to get to one at some point but we'll probably get put out early as we usually do but have the best fans there

I am happy to report I have seen Scotland not only qualify for a World Cup but also to be very drunk and happy during some great campaigns. :)

had plenty of glorious failure to last me a lifetime at World Cups/Euros :D and much more on footage before I was around

would be nice to get to one at some point but we'll probably get put out early as we usually do but have the best fans there

I would love to think in my lifetime that England, Scotland, Wales, N.Ireland and Ireland would all be in the same finals at some point. Rivalry and hype would be brilliant.

Just for a trivial question, we were actually the only team to qualify for a World Cup 5 times in a row way back when.

1974-1990, yeah? Brazil, Germany, Italy, Argentina all say hello :)

1974-1990, yeah? Brazil, Germany, Italy, Argentina all say hello :)

No team 'QUALIFIED' for 5 World Cups before Scotland did.

But say hello back. :D

Apart from the teams that sometimes QUALIFIED as holders. Clutching at straws tbf.

EDIT: Oh, and Mexico, who played in 1950, 1954, 1958, 1962 and 1966.

I think the words "from the home nations" are needed here :lol:

We actually did it 6 times in a row (1982-2002) before we became pish in the early 00's. Although admittingly you guys beat us to the 5. (1974-1990)

England made it to 6 in a row from 1950 onwards

50, 54, 58, 62, 66 (hosts), 70

Apart from the teams that sometimes QUALIFIED as holders. Clutching at straws tbf.

EDIT: Oh, and Mexico, who played in 1950, 1954, 1958, 1962 and 1966.

Holders and hosts were always given a place.

As I said only Scotland had, at the time QUALIFIED to 5 World Cups!

I think the words "from the home nations" are needed here :lol:

No.

Mexico weren't hosts until 1970. Qualified for 1950-1966 tournaments themselves.

Obviously automatic qualifications don't count. :D;)

Look basically it's conclusive proof that Scotland rule these isles and you are looking pathetic with your Mexico deflection tactics

Mexico weren't hosts until 1970. Qualified for 1950-1966 tournaments themselves.

You are really looking to prove me wrong aren't you?

Did they 'qualify' or did they just play in those World Cups?

Experienced it five times in my lifetime thank you very much :)

Oh, and back-to-back Euro Championships, including when we finished 5th, ahead of England :)

Man you may have me here, you have put a lot of work in here to prove Scotland did not do it, well played.

I may look at it tomorrow but I have to be honest I am knackered, if only England players put in so much work eh?

Sorry it's all I have at the moment. :D

Only because Scotland declined to send a team in 1950 :D

Experienced it five times in my lifetime thank you very much :)

Oh, and back-to-back Euro Championships, including when we finished 5th, ahead of England :)

And I've experienced it nine times already and I'm only mid-20's :cool: You guys must miss it...

Not really, we get plenty of entertainment every two years along the lines of what's going on tonight. Oh, and we get to watch some decent nations play as well :thup:

And I've experienced it nine times already and I'm only mid-20's :cool: You guys must miss it...

9 times and it comes around every 4 years and you are only in your mid 20's?

Okey I may have missed Mexico but surely my math is good enough to say this can't be right?

Euros. Although can't see how England fans can claim those are enjoyable either!

Shame your fans are passionless, soulless, emotionless and drab. Only sing when you're winning, eh?

Such a quiet bunch of fans this tournament. Wasn't even sure if any English players had travelled to Brazil.

When you're as **** as us you make up for it in other ways. Least we're commended and loved the world round for our attitude towards the sport. The scourge of football down there, might as well shove your 66 up your arse because that's where everybody else would put it too.

Not an ABE but when Scotland are brought into it you can **** off. :D

Now now. Simmer down :D

Scotland will be back at a World Cup someday, we've had to go through 20 years of destruction of our national team caused by 30 years of clubs (mostly Rangers and Celtic, but not exclusively) overspending on foreign players and not developing youth. The good thing about only one club having any money at all is that that has long stopped, and we're slowly picking up the pieces of what was once quite a strong footballing nation. I think we'll make France '16 at least.

England's problem is that they're right in the middle of the same painful and disastrous process we went through, the talent simply isn't there to do what they're trying to do at the moment, and probably for a while yet.

It's funny, Scotland and England are really quite similar teams at the moment - Decent keepers, completely terrible defences, lots of quite good midfielders and forwards who are good players but not a real goal threat at international level.

who cares about scotland, they are not there.

Exactly.

Just your bitter fans crying about being **** having to lash out on your better neighbours to the north, isn't it? Whatever makes you girls feel better :)

I remember Colin Hendry. That guy was a beast. Guess both Scotland and England could have done with somebody like that these days. Or in England's case, one of the many great defenders of years gone by. Not easy replacing the likes of Rio Ferdinand, John Terry, Sol Campbell, Tony Adams.

Scotland will be back at a World Cup someday

I would love to see it again, I really miss it.

The Euro's we will be there but I was 24 when we were last in the WC, it is a long time to wait, some 16 years.

Here is hoping 4 years from now! :)

o-JIM-LEIGHTON-MOROCCO-570.jpg?1

If you're an England fan I'd think very, very carefully before taking this thread into National team goalkeeping territory. :p

Not easy replacing the likes of Rio Ferdinand, John Terry, Sol Campbell, Tony Adams.

Players who have worn the #6 shirt at a World Cup:

Bobby Moore

Terry Butcher

Sol Campbell

John Terry

Phil Jagielka

I would love to see it again, I really miss it.

The Euro's we will be there but I was 24 when we were last in the WC, it is a long time to wait, some 16 years.

Here is hoping 4 years from now! :)

Don't see us qualifying for '16 myself. That group's still a bit too tough for us, what we need to do is keep repairing the standing and seeding pots, then we can think about qualifying again. Encouraging signs lately though.

Good thing is Scotland can only improve, England are full of players from top teams in allegedly the greatest league in world football and they still fail every tournament :D

Soon Scotland and the SPFL will conquer all :cool:

So all the English fans here can come up with is still 'but your country is shoit hur hur'? Pfffff, bore off.