The Anybody But England Thread.

I think England are better than uruguay their squad has aged since last world cup. Whilst Cavani and Suarez are clearly great the latter may not even be fit to play against us,

Oi, this is the ABE thread. Get out of here with these grit and passion and hope posts. England are not nearly half as good as even their least optimistic fan fears and what's more nobody likes them.

• Replies 872
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well Uruguay did win the last Copa America but their defence is slow which is where England will probably get some reward with the pace they have upfront

will also depend on how fit Suarez is and if Cavani can bring his club form to the international arena. I actually wouldn't be surprised if England win/draw that game

Nothing is better than watching an England pre game TV thing with Shearer and Lineker going on about how good x,y or z is or how England have a real chance of winning the WC or Euro's and then at half time when they are 2 down with no shots on goals, both look utterly depressed, it makes these tournaments worth while :D

No one bottles it quite like England on the big stage, this will be no different.

Completely besides the point.

They have 15 minutes to fill up (if on BBC), got to fill up the time somehow. Only so much you can talk and analysis a 0-0 for. Alright if it's on ITV as they'll just go for longer then normal breaks so the viewer doesn't even notice, with them covering the same highlight twice, one after the 1st break, again after the 2nd break just before KO.

Me like I'm sure quite a few others don't really care what they talk about at half time, just tuning in to watch the game not the analysis. I'm no football hipster, don't need to know what runs New Zealand are making etc, have my own eyes for that. As long as they pronounce the players names right and call the nation by their correct name then it's all good.

No one bottles it quite like England on the big stage, this will be no different.

Italy trumped us at the last WC :(

Oi, this is the ABE thread. Get out of here with these grit and passion and hope posts. England are not nearly half as good as even their least optimistic fan fears and what's more nobody likes them.

Hahaha

well Uruguay did win the last Copa America but their defence is slow which is where England will probably get some reward with the pace they have upfront

will also depend on how fit Suarez is and if Cavani can bring his club form to the international arena. I actually wouldn't be surprised if England win/draw that game

Yeah exactly

no problem with talking about England's camp but one bit of it is sufficient enough surely? unless something breaks news wise during the broadcast of the other game like an injury in training

either the start or after the game is where it should be, not during HT of a game featuring two other countries - even if the game is boring

Costa Rica to win all of their games and shock the world. :cool:

Realistically I see Italy getting 7 points (draw with England), England getting 5 (drawing with Uruguay and Italy) and Uruguay getting 4 (drawing with England and losing to Italy).

But I wouldn't be surprised if any of those three sides finished 3rd... think Uruguay more likely than anyone else. Don't rate them much and I can't see them getting far, even if they make it out of their group.

Nothing is better than watching an England pre game TV thing with Shearer and Lineker going on about how good x,y or z is or how England have a real chance of winning the WC or Euro's and then at half time when they are 2 down with no shots on goals, both look utterly depressed, it makes these tournaments worth while :D

Did you dream that? Because I Can't remember that situation ever occurring :D

They have 15 minutes to fill up (if on BBC), got to fill up the time somehow. Only so much you can talk and analysis a 0-0 for. Alright if it's on ITV as they'll just go for longer then normal breaks so the viewer doesn't even notice, with them covering the same highlight twice, one after the 1st break, again after the 2nd break just before KO.

Me like I'm sure quite a few others don't really care what they talk about at half time, just tuning in to watch the game not the analysis. I'm no football hipster, don't need to know what runs New Zealand are making etc, have my own eyes for that. As long as they pronounce the players names right and call the nation by their correct name then it's all good.

When they've spent half the build up talking about England as well, it gets a bit annoying hearing them talk about the same thing and completely ignore the fact a match is going on.

There's enough time to talk about all things that are England related either a) before the match (i.e. before they do any buildup of whatever the game they're televising is) or b) after the match when they've done the analysis of the game that has been played but what ends up happening is that they talk about England at every possible opportunity - so before the match, at HT and after.

I am assuming you guys have never watched the World Cup overseas then. You think German TV or France are going in depth into Slovakia/Paraguay or Brazilian TV?

They don't exactly cover 'big' games that in depth, ffs so not sure why they'd do Paraguay/Slovakia. All they do, even with England, is run through the team, talk about 'dangerous opponents' and that's it.

They get limited time and people want to know what is happening with England. Unfortunately Scots and Welsh have to watch it too but that's the way it goes. Go to Spain, see how much coverage of the 'other' games you get. It's the World Cup, TV covers their country as much as possible

This is the number 1 moan that I really don't get. The way people go on it's like every country has this in-depth and totally fair coverage of all teams ... except the UK. Erm, no

You think German TV

You'd be pleasantly surprised. The commentators are usually pretty well informed. Often make an effort to pronounce names correctly, too. But that's not so much an English as an English speakers disease, to pronounce any name in English.

Of course there's a lot of attention for the German team but you will not catch them discussing the upcoming German fixture during Slovakia/Paraguay.

And of course they are nowhere near as arrogant as the English, their fans and their media.

most of the BBC/ITV pundits "research" probably comes from about 5 minutes on Wikipedia when it comes to a lot of the World Cup games

could say it's the same with Sky and the Champions League though. As much as I realise a lot of people don't care about anything other than England, some of us actually like to hear discussions about the other teams other than "Messi could score lots of goals or Ronaldo could be good in this tournament"

Well, look at that group, ffs. Did anyone think for a second it would be a problem? I mean, come on :D You telling me you didn't think 'lucky ********' after the draw?

We don't have preface every single fixture with a timid 'well, obviously it won't be easy'. We did qualify from it just played utterly, utterly awful!

In the previous decade I don't see what is sooooo amazing that we'd do well in a tournament? We had a very good team. 1/4 finals is reasonably far but I just wanted one more round on occasion :(

The likes of the Sun or Mirror can slag off England all qualifying but the second a tournament comes round they're giving it large cause it sells papers. What do you want the headlines to be 'England hopeful but not expecting much'? All the coverage I have seen has been 'we might be able to surprise teams' ... 'our young players can give us edge' and so on. Nothing wrong with that

If you're taking your cue from the tabloids there's not much we can do. I don't see any tabloid headlines even when I am back in the UK (unless they're comedy ones like Pearce in a German helmet :p) but German papers or equivalent to the Sun are just as bad btw

I am sure the Daily Record of whatever you got up there is all downtrodden when you're off to a tournament. Media wants everyone gee'd up and you weren't that quiet in '74. Weren't concerned about it then ;)

It was more the shoehorning it in by calling the US "Yanks" to make it work tbh, smacked of desperation.

But more so, it was the actual coverage itself, when during the group stages, Shearer famously came out with "I don't know a lot about any of Solvenia's players" When he'd had plenty of time to find out. Like he'd almost not bothered at all, because he didn't think there was any point in learning about any team England would steamroller.

Then you're exactly the kind of cretin this thread was aimed at.

Am glad it's got under your skin.

I assume sarcasm isn't your strong point?

Got a couple of quid on McCormack to score 2 or more btw JD. MON SCOTLAND :cool:

edit: On the ****ing bench, bugger off Scotland you worthless piece of excrement.

I assume sarcasm isn't your strong point?

Got a couple of quid on McCormack to score 2 or more btw JD. MON SCOTLAND :cool:

edit: On the ****ing bench, bugger off Scotland you worthless piece of excrement.

:lol:

It's fixed for McCormack to come off the bench and score a five minute hattrick in injury time :cool:

But more so, it was the actual coverage itself, when during the group stages, Shearer famously came out with "I don't know a lot about any of Solvenia's players" When he'd had plenty of time to find out. Like he'd almost not bothered at all, because he didn't think there was any point in learning about any team England would steamroller.

Even more annoying than the general ineptitude of the pundits is their level of bias. I know that the pundits will be supporting the country that they're based in but the English ones are so much more cynical about it, even in club football, but the likes of Shearer blaming Ronaldo for "getting Rooney sent off" after Rooney stamped on Carvalho's balls was probably one of the most embarrassing pieces of punditry ever.

I don't think any of it is any kind of nationalistic smugness or anything, I think it's just that the broadcasters themselves insist on a very obvious pro-English bias, which in theory is fine, but in reality just results in idiot pundits spouting unresearched nonsense.

About this thread. I don't mind ABE's. It's going to happen in a country like ours. And everyone secretly enjoys the misfortune of others. Look at everyone with United this year and then United with Liverpool fans. I feel the same way about Germany. Thoroughly enjoy watching them bottle another semi final. But at least they stand a chance of winning something.

We aren't winning anything anytime soon, inevitable we will get knocked out at some stage and the rest of the home nations can have a laugh. But it's lose lose for us England fans. Everyone had a good laugh when we got battered 0-0 by Italy at Euro2012. But that was good show IMO. New manager, won our group and went to penalties with the eventual runners up. The only way England fans can get one over ABEs is if we win the bloody thing. The decks massively stacked in your favour! It's like haha you didn't win, but neither did 30 other teams! It's like Portsmouth fans laughing at Southampton fans coz they didn't make the CL or something.

Could someone please enlight me, what is ABE?

Anyone but England

Normally what people from Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland do, supporting anyone but England.

It's like haha you didn't win, but neither did 30 other teams!

But it's not nearly as enjoyable with any of those other 30 teams. Nothing, nothing in the world is more pleasing than seeing a badly 3-lions tattood bare-chested toothless skinhead cry in his beer after yet another crushing failure at penalties after seeing him going on about '66, best league in the world, grit and all that other yadda yadda for the rest of the match.

Nothing like seeing the Netherlands lose in yet another final :brock:

Nah. You can say that now, in a 'clever' response to me, because I am Dutch and you think that's zinging or something. But in reality, you don't nearly feel about the Dutch that way. Maybe, just maybe, you might feel that way about the Germans, but I doubt it. There just is no bunch of fans more unlikable than those of England, more arrogant, ignorant, boisterous, aggressive, etc. That's why it feels so good to see their team lose. Other countries have their own reasons to be hate-able, but England tops them all because of their ridiculous fans.

There just is no bunch of fans more unlikable than those of England, more arrogant, ignorant, boisterous, aggressive, etc. That's why it feels so good to see their team lose. Other countries have their own reasons to be hate-able, but England tops them all because of their ridiculous fans.

What is this, the 1980's?

Yeah, I also wonder why they just won't behave like a normal, modern fan would.

The most disgraceful behaviour at a football match I've ever witnessed was at a PSV vs Feyenoord game. And I've been to games involving Millwall, Leeds and Cardiff.

Yeah, I also wonder why they just won't behave like a normal, modern fan would.

Yes they should act more like the Dutch. Perfect example for the world. They wouldn't have matches delayed every few months for crowd problems. Especially not in a domestic cup final.

most of the English fans seem to be okay nowadays, so that seems a strange opinion. Last incident possibly the Charleroi one in Euro 2000 which is well over a decade ago now

the only arrogance seems to come from the "best league in the world" idea which I guess it's probably not too far off really, certainly the one with the most money in it

Ah, typical, quickly point at others. You don't see anyone start a 'anyone but Netherlands'-thread, do you? It's only the English who manage to get hated enough (and hardly out of jealousy of the results on the pitch) to earn that sort of attention.

(finally, some action. I was wondering what a person needs to say to get this thread going :D )

Archived