Things that never happen...

I was inspired by reading the thread below about goalkeepers getting injured to reflect upon some of the other things I have never seen in the game that do occur in real life. I wonder whether anyone else has ever experienced, in FM14, any of the following:

1) A handball decision for a penalty or free kick.

2) A yellow or red card for violent conduct (not a bad tackle).

3) A fullback or goalkeeper awarded MOM.

4) A free kick touched to another player before a shot.

5) An abandoned match.

I'll leave it there as I'm sure some of you have other situations you haven't seen.

As an aside, I find the latest patch massively superior to the previous two so good work there.

Cheers,

Davy

I have definitely seen this. I wouldn't say it's regular, but it's certainly not so uncommon as to be on this list.

I'm sure I have seen an opposition player sent off for this. Positive.

The full-backs in my current squad have been awarded the MOM on 12 occasions for me at club level. (can't be bothered to check NT).

On only 1 occasion have my current GK's ben voted MOM, but I used to have a GK who.... [goes to look]..... who received 6 MOM award over 4 seasons.

I've seen this. I don't like it, (usually seems to end up in the wall), but I have seen it.

5) An abandoned match.

Never seen this.

I've had my fullback as MOTM, and pretty sure I've seen yellow cards for arguing with the ref..

Can't say I've ever seen a handball awarded or a match abandoned.

I was inspired by reading the thread below about goalkeepers getting injured to reflect upon some of the other things I have never seen in the game that do occur in real life. I wonder whether anyone else has ever experienced, in FM14, any of the following:

5) An abandoned match.

I'll leave it there as I'm sure some of you have other situations you haven't seen.

As an aside, I find the latest patch massively superior to the previous two so good work there.

Cheers,

Davy

My keeper who got MotM in both the Champions League and Europa League finals in consecutive years begs to differ. His successor getting it in another Champions League final does too.

I'm sure I've seen handball decisions too. 4 doesn't happen, isn't part of the ME, 2 doesn't happen due to legalities of making real players do those things (does it happen to regens? Not sure) and 5 isn't coded in either.

Davy

I've not had them for either of these but my striker did have 2 goals ruled out for handball in the same match. Never come across handball before this and he did it twice in a game!

Seen this once.

Saw an elbow to the face give another teams player a direct red card once

I've had both goalkeeper and fullbacks become MoM before, but usually the goal scorer (or if a player has a lot of assists) take home the MoM title

No, never seen this. Seen some short passes before a shot, but not just a "light touch".

5) An abandoned match.

Never seen this.

Cheers,

Davy

5) An abandoned match.

Cheers,

Davy

I've had the top 4 of the 5 happen in my Valencia save (somewhat regularly for number 2 and 3. Number 2 cost me a CL final)

Everything except 5 happens

what never happens is players in on goal (entering the box wiv the ball) going round the keeper and scoring.

They just take long shots.

I have not seen a keeper give away a pen or get sent off

I'd love it if SI could incorporate a match being briefly stopped by an event such as a streaker, chicken on the pitch, toiletpaper thrown on the pitch,....

Games have been briefly stopped for this. It's also known as Drogba/Robben falling over...

A correctly issued professional foul. They are near non-existent in game, and every one I have ever seen awarded the match analysis claims was undeserved.

A goalie giving away a penalty for any reason.

A player getting sent off for a tackle that injured an opponent. I've seen reckless challenges lead to red cards, but the player fouled is always fine.

Lots of red card offences seem to be missing - brawls, foul & abusive language, professional fouls.

A correctly issued professional foul. They are near non-existent in game, and every one I have ever seen awarded the match analysis claims was undeserved.

A goalie giving away a penalty for any reason.

A player getting sent off for a tackle that injured an opponent. I've seen reckless challenges lead to red cards, but the player fouled is always fine.

Lots of red card offences seem to be missing - brawls, foul & abusive language, professional fouls.

Again, the last bit isn't included due to legal issues. It certainly used to be in the game - I remember punch-ups fondly - but that just won't happen now.

I'm fairly sure I've had a player injured in a red card challenge once. It was a while ago though, and could be making it up.

I'd love it if SI could incorporate a match being briefly stopped by an event such as a streaker, chicken on the pitch, toiletpaper thrown on the pitch,....

why

thats stupid and a waste of time

pitch invasions when team wins something would be ok but not long just seeing fans run on like when the bench runs on

For 2) is it not the case that this cannot occur between real players (as opposed to regens) in the game due to potential for legal issues between that player and SI? I think this used to be the case anyway, that brawls couldn't happen between real players in the game.

As for the others,

1) Have seen 1 handball pen I think..

3) This one is more common imo. My goalkeeper has often received MOTM and my RB was one of my star players in one save too.

4) Never seen this in the game.

5) Never seen this either - potentially related to my answer to 2? (If for reasons of conduct/crowd stuff/ etc) If for weather, I dunno..

Yep never seen advantage played.

I've never seen a single handball.

I may vaguely remember matches being abandoned (for snow etc) back in the old CM2 days where Clive Tyldsley would commentate. But, I might also be making this up. I can't be sure.

Things I've never seen that happen IRL:

A penalty awarded for goalkeeper foul (sliding out, happens a LOT irl)

Handball (anywhere)

Ball accidentally hitting the ref

Refs playing advantage

"5th/6th" officials behind goals in European games

Ballboys

Yep never seen advantage played.

"5th/6th" officials behind goals in European games

You must never have played in Europe then, as this happens in 100% of European games.

I've also seen (I forget who said they'd never seen it) LOADS of correct professional foul-red card decisions. And I have a suspicion that anyone who says players NEVER round the goalkeeper is simply not recognising it when it happens. I believe it's there, but the graphical representation is terrible. The keeper never comes out, so all the striker does is slightly go right or left then 'pass' the ball into the net.

I've never seen:

Handball

Players going to the corner flag (or in fact any timewasting other than goal kicks)

Actual correct implementation of injury time - I mean e.g. if there are 2 minutes of injury time, full time ALWAYS occurs spot on 92.00, no matter what is happening on the pitch.

As an aside, these two things happen ridiculously often, when they almost never happen in real life: players injuring themselves while committing a foul, and the goalkeeper carrying the ball out for a corner kick. Does anyone else see these all the time? These both happen at least once every 3 or 4 games for me, which is just way too high.

And I have a suspicion that anyone who says players NEVER round the goalkeeper is simply not recognising it when it happens. I believe it's there, but the graphical representation is terrible. The keeper never comes out, so all the striker does is slightly go right or left then 'pass' the ball into the net.

Spot on. :applause:

Some people expect to literally see the ball dribbled round the GK and walked into the net.

You are taking it "around" the GK to give yourself a better angle.

One thing that isn't included is players being injured in the warm up and requiring a last minute change to the line up.

I think the substitute for this is having your striker twist his knee and be out for 4 weeks as he kicks off the match with a 1 yard back pass.

One thing that isn't included is players being injured in the warm up and requiring a last minute change to the line up.

Yes, this! It would need to be very rare for each team obviously, but would be great. Also, late fitness tests for players with orange injury maybe?

You must never have played in Europe then, as this happens in 100% of European games.

I've also seen (I forget who said they'd never seen it) LOADS of correct professional foul-red card decisions. And I have a suspicion that anyone who says players NEVER round the goalkeeper is simply not recognising it when it happens. I believe it's there, but the graphical representation is terrible. The keeper never comes out, so all the striker does is slightly go right or left then 'pass' the ball into the net.

I've never seen:

Handball

Players going to the corner flag (or in fact any timewasting other than goal kicks)

Actual correct implementation of injury time - I mean e.g. if there are 2 minutes of injury time, full time ALWAYS occurs spot on 92.00, no matter what is happening on the pitch.

As an aside, these two things happen ridiculously often, when they almost never happen in real life: players injuring themselves while committing a foul, and the goalkeeper carrying the ball out for a corner kick. Does anyone else see these all the time? These both happen at least once every 3 or 4 games for me, which is just way too high.

Handballs were given pre-patch. They were wrongfully an automatic red card too. Wonder if they eliminate it instead of fixing it? I haven't really been looking for them though.

Glad handballs are in, I'll have to look out for one! Has anyone ever seen a player dummy the ball?

My favourite thing I've seen recently which I had assumed wasn't implemented: shot hit the post, rebounded off the back of the goalkeeper's head as he dived, and went in for an own goal! Brilliant! Although I'd have been less happy if I'd been the team conceding the goal...

5) An abandoned match.

1. I've seen it but very rare.

2. See above

3. I've had quite a few, especially now I have signed a goalkeeper who is much better than the level I am at. Full backs get the odd one too.

4. Nor me

5. I've had two, both way back on CM01/02. One was abandoned in the second half due to snow. The other was when my opponents had four players sent off after using all the subs, leaving them with six men. I was awarded the victory.

I'm going to say something I did see happen but may never happen again: In CM 01/02 I bought Andy Cole and he quickly got injured with one of those nasty 7 month injuries. I think when he came back he got injured again with a similar long-term injury. Eventually it was pointless and he decided to retire specifically because of his injuries, and I got compensation for my transfer fee.

Another thing I've seen is in FM 07, an opinion poll from my fans about one of my players. I suspect that's less rare but still never seen it before.

Another thing I've seen is in FM 07, an opinion poll from my fans about one of my players. I suspect that's less rare but still never seen it before.

I estimate I see at least one fan poll on players each season.

I have had a 2 1/2 min additional delay. There was a sub and an injury (unrelated to the sub) in injury time, so that's probably what caused it. It was very frustrating, because I was 1-0 up. I was actually yelling at the ref to end it already.

Ages ago I spoke to a developer about abandonments and I'm pretty sure that they can't happen; although I have seen lines in the commentary pack that suggest that they can they're probably just legacies from previous versions. Abandonments for teams having more than 4/5 players sent off are definitely not in the game as I once saw a game where Man Utd had 6 players sent off in the charity shield against Man City and lost the game 3-1.

I have seen Two Players sent off at the restart for mouthing off at refs and linesman after a goals been scored.

Have seen handballs especially by GK's who misjudge a slide of of the area.

My Dover RB won so many MOM's he was named Player of the season.

I have seen players run to the corner and waste time and Iv'e also seen the ball rebound off the flag pole as if it's made of steel.

2 minutes of injury time. Time actually played 92:48.

I always enjoy it when I watched on TV Fergie showing the fourth official his watch deep into injury time. Maybe they should synchronise the managers' watch with that of the referees/officials :D

Had a goalkeeper win MOM a couple times. Definitely not often, but it does happen. As for fullbacks, my leftback just broke the league record for MOMs.

Archived