Sports Interactive Community
Jimbokav1971

Do you put a GK on the bench?

Do you put a GK on the bench?  

202 members have voted

1. 1. Do you put a GK on the bench?

I always name a keeper on the bench, but I'm in the same boat as others - I can't remember an injury for a keeper in a match in 20+ years of playing (I'm sure it must have happened at least once or twice!).

I can remember the occasional sending off, and that's why I always have one on the bench.

I answered 'NO', but I occasionally do put a GK on the bench, especially when my backup goalie is playing.

Answering the 1st question, yes I always have a GK on the bench.

(A) Had cause to use a GK? (Was it injury or dismissal?) - Yes I can recall I've had a GK injured at least 2 maybe 3 incidents. No dismissals.

(B) Benefited from having the GK there, (in terms of the result). Honestly can't remember, I'm sure 1 game was a pre-season friendly which was no importance for me.

© On how many occasions did this happen out of how many games you have played? 2/3 incidents over 15 seasons

I only have 1 GK signed for my team. For Cup registrations I just add a GK from youth team.

I don't bother signing a 2nd GK either. If I got a good GK the sub won't ever get playing time and only annoy himself to the point I am forced to transfer him cause he's unhappy.

Lets be honest, you'd be silly not to have a sub GK. Why have a sub Midfielder when you have 3-5 on the field anyway? you only have 1 gk on the field so more chance you will stuff it up by not having a backup just in case. You can always move another midfielder around to fill in the injured midfielder but you can't move an outfield player who will perform above average in the goals.

I always have a sub keeper'. Doesn't matter if it's 5 or 7 or what. I need the security of knowing if something happened to my first choice, I've got backup.

Lets be honest, you'd be silly not to have a sub GK. Why have a sub Midfielder when you have 3-5 on the field anyway? you only have 1 gk on the field so more chance you will stuff it up by not having a backup just in case. You can always move another midfielder around to fill in the injured midfielder but you can't move an outfield player who will perform above average in the goals.

How many times have you had to use your sub keeper? Im my current save, 8 seasons in, ive never once needed to use a back up keeper. Im happy to take the risk of never having one.

Lets be honest, you'd be silly not to have a sub GK.

While you are of course welcome to your opinion, the fact that I have never needed a sub GK on the bench in 1,000+ games is the very reason for this thread.

If you take the time to read what others have said, even those who do have a GK on the bench have very rarely had cause to use him.

If we ignore the fact than in 1,000 games I never once needed a GK, let's just assume that I did need one. More than that I needed one approximately every 5 years or so. That would mean that I would have needed a GK on 3 occasions so far. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, it's not enough just to need a sub GK. You have to actually benefit from having the GK there. In other words you would have to obtain a better result in these games than you would have done without the sub GK. A loss with a sub GK coming off the bench to keep the score down doesn't earn you any more points. It might just benefit your goal difference in that particular game, but the flip side of that is that you would have been unable to benefit from whatever impact that sub might have made in the other 330+ games that your GK just sat on the bench and did nothing.

Yes, mostly because im very OCD when it comes to my subs anyway.

1 GK, 2 DEF, 2 MID, 2 ATT - in that order, (ie sub 1 gk, sub 2 def etc) -always, even if it means using a youth player as a midfeild back up for example.

Really uneasy in my San Marino save - first season in Serie B - 9 subs? Makes me shiver haha

I always name a sub keeper, tbh I very rarely use all 3 subs in a match anyway so having an extra outfield players isn't going to be all that beneficial.

One thing that is apparent from this thread is that we probably need to take a look at the frequency of keeper injuries in matches & we certainly need to have keepers committing more fouls as they hardly ever get sent off.

I agree on goalie's getting yellow or red cards but completely disagree on the injuries , I think there's already plenty of injuries , I had 5 in one match last night , I had to reload because 5 people out is just silly :). Injuries are needed but they certainly aren't a fun part of the game , I doubt anyone when thinking of improvements to the game thinks " I wish there were more injuries".

Lets be honest, you'd be silly not to have a sub GK.

completely disagree . I need the option to be able to replace outfield players in any position , I need my subs and will use three 99.9% of matches.

Don't see the point in having one when 5 subs is your limit. It's very limiting tactically as you seldom need to change a keeper but will need to change and tweak things defensively, in midfield or up front. I'm happy to take the risk in the one off games when my keeper gets sent off or injured as I feel that the tactical options I have with 5 outfield subs have won me far more games than not having a keeper has lost.

I always name a sub keeper, tbh I very rarely use all 3 subs in a match anyway so having an extra outfield players isn't going to be all that beneficial.

One thing that is apparent from this thread is that we probably need to take a look at the frequency of keeper injuries in matches & we certainly need to have keepers committing more fouls as they hardly ever get sent off.

I agree with this, albeit I'm still on FM11. I'm in my 34th season with Newcastle Town and I can't remember ever having my goalie sent off. Rarely have they been injured in match.

I've had my GK get injured once or twice through the years, plus there's sendings off to consider for violent conducting (since they don't dive at feet on FM 07 and concede penalties).

Just pressed "Submit Team" for the 1st time with my new club Celtic, and got the following message.

At least one goalkeeper must be on the bench.

Noooooooooooooooo. No no no no no. Eegits. :herman:

I've never had to call upon my sub GK in FM14, but with 7 subs allowed in the leagues I use, it's worth using 1 space just in case.

Out of curiosity, for the people that don't name a sub goalies, would you do so in a vital match? Champions League Final, relegation decider etc? Losing a GK in those games with no one in back up might break your whole season.

I have played in 2 Playoff Finals, 14 Domestic Cup Finals and 5 European Finals. I have not once had a GK on the bench in any of them, (and in Italian domestic Finals you get 12 subs).

I put two on the bench sometimes.

Grey goalies are often all I have to make up the U19 quota :(

I've never had to call upon my sub GK in FM14, but with 7 subs allowed in the leagues I use, it's worth using 1 space just in case.

Out of curiosity, for the people that don't name a sub goalies, would you do so in a vital match? Champions League Final, relegation decider etc? Losing a GK in those games with no one in back up might break your whole season.

Never. It's just not worth it. In ~20 seasons, I've never had my keeper sent off or injured, and I like to have as many options as I can for my 7 subs. I guess if you have an injury prone keeper it could be worth it, but I dont and I wouldnt have one in the first place.

If more than 5 subs are available, I'll have a keeper on the bench.

I almost brought my sub keeper on in a European game - 4-0 up with 20 minutes to go - but FM can read my mind, man, so we conceded two goals to put paid to that idea.

yup FM can read your mind, 88 minutes into a match, a free kick flys over the bar, thinking never going to score from those.. getanother free kickand it goes in :D

and I always have a backup keeper, because i'm pretty sure it is in the rules, and I have some old guy called Valdes in net, and DDG on the bench, they swap around every match.

I do out of habit, always the number 1 slot in the subs. But since FM08 I've probably had to sub in a keeper 3-4 times. Once played a defender in goal for 60 minutes and kept a clean sheet.

The one time I didn't my keeper got sent off (I think this was FM4 or similar vintage), so I've always done so since then.

NEVER!!

Maybe in a final I would, but during the year I like to have some young lad's on the bench that I can rotate in during blow outs.

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, it's not enough just to need a sub GK. You have to actually benefit from having the GK there. In other words you would have to obtain a better result in these games than you would have done without the sub GK. A loss with a sub GK coming off the bench to keep the score down doesn't earn you any more points. It might just benefit your goal difference in that particular game, [...]

Even a very bad GK does not have to have any influence on your goal difference.

There are matches, in FM as well as in reality, where the opponent does not even get decent shots on your goal. How many shots on target do you really have per game? If you have to substitute your GK after 60 or 70 minutes, you can very well weather with a field man in goal. I had this once, and I won regardless. I remember this has happened in real life as well when Kevin Großkreutz once was substituted as goalie for Dortmund.

So I totally agree with you that the tactical flexibility that a field player offers you is so much more important than a substitute goalkeeper. I often have subs on the bench for very various reasons:

A) Replacing a field player who is tired or got a Yellow Card

B) Changing a tactical system, thus maybe needing a specific position who is not fielded yet

C) Bringing on Youth players to develop them

D) Bringing on players who are not really matchfit, but needed matchfit as soon as possible

Some of these can of course be connected. I might bring on a Youth player to replace a tired one, while tweaking tactics at the same time. Still, I normally need a decent enough mix of field players on the bench to react to situations of "My team is nervous, I need to bring on a leader type veteran to get it back to order" as well as "My team feels more than comfortable, I want to bring on a Youth player to get experience without creating a tactical chaos".

A substitute goalie just blocks that space of flexibilty.

Goalkeeper injury frequency does not need to go up! I signed a young regen keeper in the Welsh Prem who I was delighted to sign because he was amazing for that level. In the press conference i was asked about my concerns about his injury proneness.. I wasn't too fussed. Heard that loads before and it never usually causes an issue.. and besides he's a keeper! They never get injured right?...

Wrong. I checked his history of injuries out of curiosity and it is ridiculously long. Little niggly things mainly but a load of them. Still wasn't too worried.. thinking he'd be alright playing for my team. Wrong again. He has been injured in game at least 5 times, and in training several others. The guys made of paper.

So yes, I always have a keeper on the bench!

Always. I make sure I have versatile players on the bench so can usually cover most positions anyway.

I always have a keeper in the subs. Not only is it safe but more importantly realistic and I like that in my FM. Who would go without a keeper on the bench in a football match??

Goalkeeper injury frequency does not need to go up! I signed a young regen keeper in the Welsh Prem who I was delighted to sign because he was amazing for that level. In the press conference i was asked about my concerns about his injury proneness.. I wasn't too fussed. Heard that loads before and it never usually causes an issue.. and besides he's a keeper! They never get injured right?...

Wrong. I checked his history of injuries out of curiosity and it is ridiculously long. Little niggly things mainly but a load of them. Still wasn't too worried.. thinking he'd be alright playing for my team. Wrong again. He has been injured in game at least 5 times, and in training several others. The guys made of paper.

So yes, I always have a keeper on the bench!

Isn't this guy as probably a "very injury prone player", the exception rather than the rule?

Surely the real answer is not to buy injury prone players and then you never need a GK on the bench ever? :confused:

Why would you buy an injury prone player?

I signed him because I was with the majority of people who think keepers never get injured. So I didn't even bother checking his past injuries when I signed him. Clearly a mistake I wont make again.

And besides, I already told you he was amazing for the level I was at. The injuries were never serious and didn't keep him out for long and the games he played in he made a real difference. I even took him with me when I moved clubs.

Yes, and I'll tell you why: In a match between Hearts and Partick Thistle I had trouble holding the 1-0 at home, a result that would be important because I was fighting for a spot in the Europa League (yes, in the first season).

I had released my third goalie in a free transfer and my second keeper was hurt, so i just had to put Jamie MacDonald in goal. I decided to just go without a keeper on the bench. After 82 minutes, Jamie had to leave injured. With no keeper on the bench, i had to improvise Danny Wilson as a goalkeeper. At 86, corner for Partick Thistle and ended up taking the equalizer.

I rarely name a keeper on the bench (only time is when I haven't got enough outfield players to fill it) and until I think there is at least a 1% chance that my goalie on the pitch could get injured or sent off then I won't be changing. I can't remember my policy backfiring and I have been playing the series since the Championship Manager days.

Still playing FM12 currently (but will be starting FM14 shortly thanks to taking advantage of it being on sale on Steam). I've always had a keeper on the bench, as although keeper injuries are rare, I've had a keeper sent off on more than one occasion. Although having read this thread I may consider not having a sub keeper.

Forget injuries, what about when your keeper is having a howler.

I've always tried to have 2 good keepers in the squad (currently Petr Cech & Joe Hart). If the keeper's 1st touch is picking the ball out of the net it's a warning to me, and I'll be checking the keeper's rating and watching for a decent save/handling to make sure it's not going to be 'one of those games' for him. 2 shots, 2 goals against (usually with the accompanying low rating) and the sub keeper is on. The new keeper will normally stay for a run in the team for a while until a dip in form or having a howler himself.

Plucking figures out of my memory, I'd say I sub a keeper for poor performance about 3 or 4 times a season.

So my answer is an emphatic YES.