Weird World Cup locations?

Couldn't find a previous thread so here goes.

Just been day dreaming about the future of the World Cup and the potential locations that could host the competition in 2026, 2030,...etc. and was wondering if anyone has ever found the World Cup hosted in any unusual places in game.

My current longest save in this year's game has only reached 2023 and Mexico have been awarded the 2026 final.

Also fairly interested in how the game decides this? And how much the player as manager can influence this call.

(For instance, if a player took a team from, say, Croatia to best in the world and subsequently improved the rep of the league which improved other clubs and stadiums etc, would that give Croatia a greater chance of hosting it?)

As FIFA announced they are no longer using the continent rotation policy it would be interesting to see how the game ultimately decides the host of the WC throughout the years.

Would love to see co-hosting by small nations (Indonesia-Malaysia for example) occur in the game, though I fear it probably just rotates between the usual suspects.

2026 - Morocco

2030 - Spain

2034 - South Korea

2038 - Mexico

Hmm. Morocco is a bit of a turn-up.

I wish someone would choose my stadium for World Cup matches. 145000 seater. C'mon England, bid damn you.

2026 - Morocco

2030 - Spain

2034 - South Korea

2038 - Mexico

Hmm. Morocco is a bit of a turn-up.

I wish someone would choose my stadium for World Cup matches. 145000 seater. C'mon England, bid damn you.

Morocco got it in mine in 2030. I guess they're one of the more stable presences in northern Africa... I wish Ghana got it though, especially considering the strength of their team.

Here are mine from a save from which I've holidayed for testing purposes.

Very similar to dafuge's list of hosts. Whats more bizarre is that Paraguay have become a world force!!! :confused:

WorldCupHosts_zps51526119.png

Indonesia-Malaysia? God no....

There was talk of a South Asia joint bid not long ago, Indonesia - Malaysia - Vietnam. Not sure how that'd work IRL. Wouldn't hurt to see it in-game rather tho

Here are mine from my current save:

world_cups_to_2034.gif

No real surprises there as far as hosts go. I guess these largely come down to infrastructure, security, quality of stadia (and massive bribes obviously).

However - Belgium win it in 2014 and ROMANIA win it in 2018? Wow.

Chile come second in 2014 and again in 2022.

Props to the Super Eagles for getting third place in in Qatar in 2022!

Weird places? You mean like Qatar? :brock:

By far the weirdest. You know something's wrong in football when FM does a better job of generating appropriate hosts than real life.

Here are mine from a save from which I've holidayed for testing purposes.

Very similar to dafuge's list of hosts. Whats more bizarre is that Paraguay have become a world force!!! :confused:

WorldCupHosts_zps51526119.png

No! What is bizzare is that England have won the world cup 3 times in 32 years!

In FM 07, the 2034 World Cup is in China. Also, some time around 2020 - 2026 the Asian Cup is hosted by tiny Chinese administrative region Macau, who get destroyed 8-0 by everyone. I'm pretty sure every match in the cup was played in one stadium.

I don't know if this is related in any way or points to something dynamic able to happen with the match engine, but I did a test save with the San MArino league added to my game and gave all sammarinese teams sugar daddies, raised their reputation a notch, made the national stadium at least 20,000 capacity and over 30 years the league got to a decent reputation spot (Maybe 40th).

As all this is happening in the background, in 2030-something I played in the European Super Cup at the San Marino national stadium.

I wonder if the same logic could theoretically apply to WC hosts. If you artificially inflate the reputation of a country does it pop into the rotational list of host countries?

There was talk of a South Asia joint bid not long ago, Indonesia - Malaysia - Vietnam. Not sure how that'd work IRL. Wouldn't hurt to see it in-game rather tho

Those countries + Thailand hosted the 2007 Asian Cup and it was already bizarre. I can't imagine any joint bid clubs from ASEAN, no way they're taking qualification places off of Japan Korea Australia Iran etc.

Funnily enough robzilla I just started a new game and this was the result of Brazil 2014..

Screen_Shot_2014_05_20_at_19_26_13.png

Look out for Chile IRL (Bound to be **** now)

As a Belgian, I'm happy to see we're up there in a few of the screenshots. In my save game we didn't get further than quarter finals.

As far as hosts concerns, I also have Mexico as the host for 2026.

I wonder if the same logic could theoretically apply to WC hosts. If you artificially inflate the reputation of a country does it pop into the rotational list of host countries?

Yeah this is essentially what I was wondering. Am trying to play an Oceania game at the moment, about 20 years in and my Cook Islands team is going up the rankings but I feel it may still be 100 years until I can get them to a force where hosting the world cup may be likely (if this is at all possible in game)

Yeah this is essentially what I was wondering. Am trying to play an Oceania game at the moment, about 20 years in and my Cook Islands team is going up the rankings but I feel it may still be 100 years until I can get them to a force where hosting the world cup may be likely (if this is at all possible in game)

Even if the Cook Islands won the World Cup, surely they would never be considered a host? Where are they going to put 8 stadiums?

I'm fairly sure there's no mechanism in there to add countries to the rotation. I'd probably say that's the right thing to do as well - accurately determining whether a country could conceivably host a tournament in the future is difficult. I would only add huge countries - places like China perhaps, if they improve. Or India.

In the edit file I'm using they have 7 teams with stadiums and a national stadium (fortunate to make 8 haha).

I'm not saying it would be doable really, but would be nice to hear if there was a way in which increase in stature of a nation in game influences the chances of hosting the world cup.

Archived