Sports Interactive Community
Stephane

FM Online - release DEC 2014 - Korean FML??

Hi there,

I'm pretty sure that there are tons of FM fans who are expecting the re-birth of our FML game (which disappeared too soon :().

I just looked at the sigames website and saw that there is a game "Football Manager Online" due to be released on 5th Dec 2014 and based on the Korean FML.I remember the words of SI when we wanted to have that game released also in UK/Europe and they said that this would be the case only if it is a success in Korea.

Apparently it is...

Anyone has more details on this? And what are the differences with our so beloved FML?

Cheers

Stephane

I don't think that it being launched in December equates to the same thing as it being successful. It will be a few years before anything similar comes to the UK/Europe, because they will need to see if the game falls off the cliff again in terms of playing nubmers. Although I did notice that SI were recruiting people in London to work on the possible global expansion of the Online game.

Regardlessly, SI are far too conservative with re-launching FML. If they brought in micro transactions in the correct way, with a hybrid free-to-play with cash top up model alongside a subscription model they could create a successful game. Sadly FML launched about 5 years ahead of its time and they appear to have little appetite to go again, and are just happy milking standard Football Manager sales.

From what I've seen about it, I get the impression FMO is a slightly different style of game, with more of an RPG approach than a straight football management sim. So while I believe it remains our best hope of getting an FM MMO, I get the impression it'd be wrong to think of it as FML v3.0- it has been tailored for the Korean market, so a different approach is both understandable and expected. There's more than one way to tackle the subject.

If it's doing well, of course, that's great news.

From what I've seen about it, I get the impression FMO is a slightly different style of game, with more of an RPG approach than a straight football management sim. So while I believe it remains our best hope of getting an FM MMO, I get the impression it'd be wrong to think of it as FML v3.0- it has been tailored for the Korean market, so a different approach is both understandable and expected. There's more than one way to tackle the subject.

If it's doing well, of course, that's great news.

No slightly about it from what they've said. I'm sure they've gone to great lenghts to point out that it is definitely not FML.

I also wouldn't pay much attention to the "if it's successful we'll maybe bring it over here". It's such a vague statement, and I doubt it would ever happen anyway. They've tailored this to Korea, and Korea only, given their obsession with MMO's. If they were to release it here, it would probably need a considerable rewrite. Doesn't really make much sense for SI to put their hands in the fire for a second time, given how badly they got burnt before. I'd go as far to say they'd be stupid to try it again. In my opinion of course.

I thought I would mention, that I really need a football manager MMO. Can't stress it loud enough.

In the meantime I thought I would hijack this, to ask for viable alternatives, even if they are browser based, until SI makes a move and steps into the market.