Sports Interactive Community
delra

Is there any proof that switching focus to Fitness in pre-season actually does anything?

Is there a quote from SIGames anywhere that in the code that switch to Fitness with higher intensity that we all do in the pre-season actually does anything?

Or is it just all an urban legend? Something we all do because we thing we ought to, but it actually does not help at all?

Is there a quote from SIGames anywhere that in the code that switch to Fitness with higher intensity that we all do in the pre-season actually does anything?

Or is it just all an urban legend? Something we all do because we thing we ought to, but it actually does not help at all?

If you have enough friendlies you dont need that, I always set it to team cohesion so new players blend better in the squad

You can see for yourself by checking the general fitness and match fitness levels of your players. Focusing on "Fitness" builds fitness levels up quicker and also recovers any "lost" physical attributes from the off-season. In the beginning they'll have a match fitness of around 50-60. With fitness training, it'll go up to 70-80. The description will say something like "just needs games to improve match fitness".

Well, I know that my players aren't as knackered come the business end of the season after switching to high intensity fitness work in preseason.

"I just know" doesn't really cut it for me. Might as well be confirmation bias. Did SI ever comment on it? :-)

Cleon will be able to give a clear answer on this. No SI admins will answer you, but Cleon has supreme knowledge of the game.

I, therefore, am not qualified to say but I think number of games is more important than the training set. If I recall correctly, and I could very well be wrong here, focussing on fitness training has nothing to do with your actual player's fitness and conditioning, but rather it will focus on improving their physical attributes.

Likewise, team cohesion does not actually make your players friendlier with each other, but instead focuses on improving their teamwork and work rate attributes (I know this one because Cleon himself told me this).

Basically more games and careful management is the most important thing. Focussing on high intensity fitness will increase things like stamina and natural fitness which WILL have an affect over the course of the season, but it will not be directly responsible.

I think. Hopefully someone more qualified (wwfan/Cleon) can clear this up.

Definitely. When it comes to the training module, Cleon knows his stuff.

I knew the other team training options were strictly for player development (thanks to Cleon posts), but even team cohesion? Hmm, learn something new every day on this board. I was still putting training on team cohesion for a week or two after new signings.

That's what Cleon told me, yeah. I had always used Team Cohesion through the season for that purpose and it was leading to 100% team spirit but it was just coincidence due to a successful close-knit group of like-minded individuals.

However I played in a system where work rate and teamwork were massively important so I stuck with it anyway, despite finding out I was wrong :D

"I just know" doesn't really cut it for me. Might as well be confirmation bias. Did SI ever comment on it? :-)

It's not their job to spoon feed things to you.

I would usually agree, however it is their job to let the user know how to play the game, in this version more than ever more information was definitely needed, especially regarding the new tactics interface. If it weren't for Cleon and a few other helpful members, I wouldn't have a scooby what I was doing, and I have played since the first CM without any real problems.

So you don't know and don't want to ever find out? "You" in this sentence isn't actually me, my person. It's all of the FM community. It's their job to spoon-feed the community with information critical to gameplay. When we switch to Fitness every year, it reminds me of these guys in Lost inputting those numbers every set amount of time for their entire lives, never knowing what will happen if they don't.

That's why I'd like to know if ever since this training module is in place SI have ever commented on Fitness and season prep, if they explained how pre-season works on the code side of things.

I mostly run on the Tactics focus myself, because that's my favoured set of attributes that I'd like to grow in every player.

Cleon will be able to give a clear answer on this. No SI admins will answer you, but Cleon has supreme knowledge of the game.

I, therefore, am not qualified to say but I think number of games is more important than the training set. If I recall correctly, and I could very well be wrong here, focussing on fitness training has nothing to do with your actual player's fitness and conditioning, but rather it will focus on improving their physical attributes.

Likewise, team cohesion does not actually make your players friendlier with each other, but instead focuses on improving their teamwork and work rate attributes (I know this one because Cleon himself told me this).

Basically more games and careful management is the most important thing. Focussing on high intensity fitness will increase things like stamina and natural fitness which WILL have an affect over the course of the season, but it will not be directly responsible.

I think. Hopefully someone more qualified (wwfan/Cleon) can clear this up.

Nope I have never said that in my life as that's not what it does at all. So god knows where you got that from but please don't say I told it you as whoever told you that is a n00b :D. Team Cohesion helps the players settle and helps them get a better understanding of each other, I've wrote this several times in all my training threads.

Taken from last years and this years threads;

Team Cohesion

If I’ve promoted players from my youth/reserves team into the first team or bought any new players then I focus on this heavily as the general focus once my players are fit. It helps them settle into the team quickly and get an understanding. This is vital because it helps with language barriers if you have foreign players who might not understand the language of the country you play in and his team mates.

So you don't know and don't want to ever find out? "You" in this sentence isn't actually me, my person. It's all of the FM community. It's their job to spoon-feed the community with information critical to gameplay. When we switch to Fitness every year, it reminds me of these guys in Lost inputting those numbers every set amount of time for their entire lives, never knowing what will happen if they don't.

That's why I'd like to know if ever since this training module is in place SI have ever commented on Fitness and season prep, if they explained how pre-season works on the code side of things.

But you should be able to figure out for yourself why you would do fitness training in preseason. It's not SI's job to give you the answers to everything, otherwise there'd be no point in actually playing the game.

Just ask yourself one simple question; Do clubs do fitness training in preseason in real life? If the answer is yes, then surely from there you can figure out why they do it and why it's a good idea to do it in FM.

Nope I have never said that in my life as that's not what it does at all. So god knows where you got that from but please don't say I told it you as whoever told you that is a n00b :D. Team Cohesion helps the players settle and helps them get a better understanding of each other, I've wrote this several times in all my training threads.

Taken from last years and this years threads;

I apologise for this.

I went and found the thread where you supposedly told me this - it was in a discussion surrounding getting players to gel and also getting familiarity with tactics. I, obviously mistakenly, thought you said that Team Cohesion had no effect on familiarity between players. What you actually said was that training in 'Tactics' had no effect on familiarity with the tactics being trained and that, instead, number of pre-season games was more important.

Basically I was wrong. :o :D

But you should be able to figure out for yourself why you would do fitness training in preseason. It's not SI's job to give you the answers to everything, otherwise there'd be no point in actually playing the game.

Just ask yourself one simple question; Do clubs do fitness training in preseason in real life? If the answer is yes, then surely from there you can figure out why they do it and why it's a good idea to do it in FM.

But you don't know for sure? Wouldn't you want to know for sure?

You've already been given the proper answer in the thread, drama averted :D

But you don't know for sure? Wouldn't you want to know for sure?

But I've told you already that I know from my own experience;

Well, I know that my players aren't as knackered come the business end of the season after switching to high intensity fitness work in preseason.

I've done some tests before, and found no correlation between switching focus to fitness and actual c̶o̶n̶d̶i̶t̶i̶o̶n̶ / match fitness of the players. Forgot to test jadedness though. I don't know if there are any hidden parameters under the hood, but after that, I have never done any preseasons with fitness focus, and haven't had any problems with injuries or match fitness during the season.

Edit: Condition does actually go up, but it makes no difference if you focus fitness or not.

Also, checked the jadedness, it doesn't change in regards what type of preseason training you choose.