Sports Interactive Community
Philip Rolfe

The 'How do I say that guy's name?' thread

I remember Reddiablo did a great bit for Euro 2012, where he recorded himself saying all the Dutch names properly. Was great.

I want to see/hear Paul Merson pronouncing most of these.

The United States guy does that annoying questioning thing where his voice goes up at the end. Thought it was only Aussies that did that.

For some reason all the different variations of Neymar reminds me of when you click on different villages in AOEII :D.

They should have listed the most difficult names rather than the high profile players.

I refuse to pronounce Jerry Bengtson like the Honduran person.

Ive been saying Pepe and Jean Beausajour the wrong way all this time

Jean Beausejour is surely a french name (his father is from Haiti) and the Chilean pronunciation is horrible and perhaps just wrong.

do know the French make the names sound French anyway, and don't really care about the correct pronunciation. so why not all make of it what we want and have some fun with it if possible at all.

ps seems similar to the whole city name discussion and whether to use the local rather English/French/Dutch/German/... version

I remember Reddiablo did a great bit for Euro 2012, where he recorded himself saying all the Dutch names properly. Was great.

If memory serves, it came complete with nicely atmospheric background noises, like a campfire or a torrential downpour or something like that.

If memory serves, it came complete with nicely atmospheric background noises, like a campfire or a torrential downpour or something like that.

Was raining, I think.

Yep, that was back in Brixton - it was raining and the water dropping from one of the pipes onto the balcony made a lot of noise :D

He says Bengston. I mean, that just can't be the good pronounciation.

Does the guy say KeLvin Prince Boateng? or am I deaf?

The Belgian one is not 100 % accurate though. It says the language is French, but the country is multilingual Dutch/French/German and the voice pronouncing the names speaks with a clear Flemish (Dutch) accent.

The Belgian one is not 100 % accurate though. It says the language is French, but the country is multilingual Dutch/French/German and the voice pronouncing the names speaks with a clear Flemish (Dutch) accent.

Shes from Antwerp http://www.hln.be/hln/nl/14796/WK-2014/article/detail/1730602/2013/10/28/We-willen-voor-WK-voetbal-op-alles-voorbereid-zijn.dhtml

imagine having to write down christodoulopolous every time at school for your name. christ

Even in Greek the name is too long: Χριστοδουλόπουλος

Less long than with Latin alphabet though.

Thankfully for others he has 'Lazaros' on the back of his shirt :p, the same way Papastathopoulos has 'Sokratis'.

imagine having to write down christodoulopolous every time at school for your name. christ

You can't even spell it right in your first go! :brock:

The last "ou" is after "p", not "l".

At least Greece dont have that Tria17lettersman in the squad anymore.

Does the guy say KeLvin Prince Boateng? or am I deaf?

Yeah he does, I wondered that aswell.

his name is very Swedish looking (and IIRC he has some Swedish ancestry) so I always pronounce it like I would for a swede. :D

his name is very Swedish looking (and IIRC he has some Swedish ancestry) so I always pronounce it like I would for a swede. :D

Exactly, I'd pronounce it like Bengtsson - and not like Bengston(e)

You can't even spell it right in your first go! :brock:

The last "ou" is after "p", not "l".

good job i'm not continuing the christoblahblah family line

Still a zero chance someone will call Xherdan Shaqiri as "Djerdan Shachiri" the way it should be, etc.

Swiss squad is funny. Just 11 players pronounced in German/Italian/French.

Bruno Martins Indi -> wrong

Jonathan de Guzman -> wrong

Karim Rekik -> wrong

Why do Krul and Vlaar have both first names?

That is, unless if we Dutchies would actually pronounce the names as they should be pronounced :D

Ajjrjjjjen Robben. Pffff, damn Gooisch accent. He's called Arjen, he's from Groningen ffs :D

Sounds like a schoolteacher that no one really liked...

Inconsistencies. Australia: Spiranovic is pronounced in Croatian, but 'Lenguhreck' in English. Then again, when does a name become imported? Rekik would be pronounced differently in Dutch, but is it Dutch or still Arabic?

Bruno Martins Indi -> wrong

Jonathan de Guzman -> wrong

Karim Rekik -> wrong

Why do Krul and Vlaar have both first names?

That is, unless if we Dutchies would actually pronounce the names as they should be pronounced :D

I think all are correct or close to correct.

Martins Indi is Portuguese. I pronounce it like the speaker, too. The same case with De Guzman.

Rekik is Arabic. The "a" in "Karim" is close to "e". I heard many Arabic people do it.

Unless you're concerned about the stress. I don't know. I'm never good at stress.

I think all are correct or close to correct.

Martins Indi is Portuguese. I pronounce it like the speaker, too. The same case with De Guzman.

Rekik is Arabic. The "a" in "Karim" is close to "e". I heard many Arabic people do it.

Unless you're concerned about the stress. I don't know. I'm never good at stress.

Let me re-iterate. All three are actually perfectly spot on - but all three sound different in Dutch. (But obviously the Dutch is wrong, as they're "borrowed" from other languages.)

Inconsistencies. Australia: Spiranovic is pronounced in Croatian, but 'Lenguhreck' in English. Then again, when does a name become imported? Rekik would be pronounced differently in Dutch, but is it Dutch or still Arabic?

Arabic. Wilders may disagree. But I'm better than he is.

Considering Langerak is a German name (Dutch?) - it's completely mispronounced.

Mile Jedinak

English Name

Wouldn't it be mile like the distance? ;)

Considering Langerak is a German name (Dutch?) - it's completely mispronounced.

Mile Jedinak

English Name

Wouldn't it be mile like the distance? ;)

I'd have thought Mill-eh? But I say it as if it's Milé probably

If they want it to be perfectly correct, they need more people from more languages.

For example, how do you pronounce "Georginio" in Papiamentu?

Probably with a slight Spanish twang - Dutch is an official language though, Papiamento is not an official language :p

I'd have thought Mill-eh? But I say it as if it's Milé probably

Yeah, Mi-lay.

But if they make it seem like it's an English name, shouldn't it be mile? Or Milly like lilly, chilly, tilly, dilly oh my willy?

Would also have thought that it would be tran-quillo, not trankillo for Barnetta.

Mile Jedinak is Croatian as well. It's Meeleh Yedeenah-k. If that makes sense.

Belo Horizonte

orizontay or orizonch?

The reporters on SSN just now were using the first, but I've heard the second one used regularly in MMA.

Reminds me of the pronounciation of Dante (Bayern + Brazil defender). I always hear 'Dan-tay', but Jonathan Pearce was doing commentary for the German cup final on BT Sport, and was saying it 'Dantsch'.

I suspect the latter is correct. A bit like Pepe (Portugal defender) being 'Pep'.

Think "te" is actually pronounced "tsch"