The 'How do I say that guy's name?' thread

Philip Rolfe

• Administrators

As we've had before etc. Globoesporte have kindly helped out for some high profile players, whilst also giving you Neymar in multiple different languages, but any other resources like it are always received by saddos like yours truly.

http://globoesporte.globo.com/futebol/copa-do-mundo/playerlist.html

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ive been saying Pepe and Jean Beausajour the wrong way all this time

Jean Beausejour is surely a french name (his father is from Haiti) and the Chilean pronunciation is horrible and perhaps just wrong.

do know the French make the names sound French anyway, and don't really care about the correct pronunciation. so why not all make of it what we want and have some fun with it if possible at all.

ps seems similar to the whole city name discussion and whether to use the local rather English/French/Dutch/German/... version

I remember Reddiablo did a great bit for Euro 2012, where he recorded himself saying all the Dutch names properly. Was great.

If memory serves, it came complete with nicely atmospheric background noises, like a campfire or a torrential downpour or something like that.

The Belgian one is not 100 % accurate though. It says the language is French, but the country is multilingual Dutch/French/German and the voice pronouncing the names speaks with a clear Flemish (Dutch) accent.

The Belgian one is not 100 % accurate though. It says the language is French, but the country is multilingual Dutch/French/German and the voice pronouncing the names speaks with a clear Flemish (Dutch) accent.

Shes from Antwerp http://www.hln.be/hln/nl/14796/WK-2014/article/detail/1730602/2013/10/28/We-willen-voor-WK-voetbal-op-alles-voorbereid-zijn.dhtml

imagine having to write down christodoulopolous every time at school for your name. christ

Even in Greek the name is too long: Χριστοδουλόπουλος

Less long than with Latin alphabet though.

• 3 weeks later...

Still a zero chance someone will call Xherdan Shaqiri as "Djerdan Shachiri" the way it should be, etc.

Swiss squad is funny. Just 11 players pronounced in German/Italian/French.

• SI Staff

Bruno Martins Indi -> wrong

Jonathan de Guzman -> wrong

Karim Rekik -> wrong

Why do Krul and Vlaar have both first names?

That is, unless if we Dutchies would actually pronounce the names as they should be pronounced :D

Inconsistencies. Australia: Spiranovic is pronounced in Croatian, but 'Lenguhreck' in English. Then again, when does a name become imported? Rekik would be pronounced differently in Dutch, but is it Dutch or still Arabic?

Bruno Martins Indi -> wrong

Jonathan de Guzman -> wrong

Karim Rekik -> wrong

Why do Krul and Vlaar have both first names?

That is, unless if we Dutchies would actually pronounce the names as they should be pronounced :D

I think all are correct or close to correct.

Martins Indi is Portuguese. I pronounce it like the speaker, too. The same case with De Guzman.

Rekik is Arabic. The "a" in "Karim" is close to "e". I heard many Arabic people do it.

Unless you're concerned about the stress. I don't know. I'm never good at stress.

• SI Staff
I think all are correct or close to correct.

Martins Indi is Portuguese. I pronounce it like the speaker, too. The same case with De Guzman.

Rekik is Arabic. The "a" in "Karim" is close to "e". I heard many Arabic people do it.

Unless you're concerned about the stress. I don't know. I'm never good at stress.

Let me re-iterate. All three are actually perfectly spot on - but all three sound different in Dutch. (But obviously the Dutch is wrong, as they're "borrowed" from other languages.)

Considering Langerak is a German name (Dutch?) - it's completely mispronounced.

Mile Jedinak

English Name

Wouldn't it be mile like the distance? ;)

I'd have thought Mill-eh? But I say it as if it's Milé probably

• SI Staff
If they want it to be perfectly correct, they need more people from more languages.

For example, how do you pronounce "Georginio" in Papiamentu?

Probably with a slight Spanish twang - Dutch is an official language though, Papiamento is not an official language :p

• SI Staff
I'd have thought Mill-eh? But I say it as if it's Milé probably

Yeah, Mi-lay.

But if they make it seem like it's an English name, shouldn't it be mile? Or Milly like lilly, chilly, tilly, dilly oh my willy?

Reminds me of the pronounciation of Dante (Bayern + Brazil defender). I always hear 'Dan-tay', but Jonathan Pearce was doing commentary for the German cup final on BT Sport, and was saying it 'Dantsch'.

I suspect the latter is correct. A bit like Pepe (Portugal defender) being 'Pep'.

Archived