Official Belgium aka The Red Devils thread

Purefun

Best part about this team is that yeah, in 2 and 4 years time, we could (should?) be even better.

Hopefully some full backs come onto the scene, just even one natural one as that's just one area that lacks from an otherwise complete ideal team.

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Vertonghen was phenomenal though, also Vanden Borre was very good against South Korea. I think after the WC we'll get VDBorre/Meunier at rightback with Alderweireld moving back to CB taking Van Buyten's place.

Great pic :thup:

The Belgian team are in such a great position now. Have nothing to lose, nothing to prove and still are good enough to be with the favorites. Keep playing like yesterday and they have to fear no one. Well done after such a long time away from the tournament.

As a non-Belgian, I can only fear for the coming Euros and WCs, this team should be getting even better.

Weren't you like actively rooting against us just last night? :D

Belgium attacked furiously for all of 10 minutes. Tired already? :D
Dempsey, hit it dammit!
Belgium are not going to score here.
He can walk after that :eek: Made of rubber.
After that stretched leg by Vertonghen. Jones sure has to take some physical abuse here ^^
Game ON! Here comes a real American story!

Haha, looks that way, but I wasn't so much against Belgium as supporting the underdog. After I posted 'Belgium are not going to score here.' I was certain that I was going to post 'Jinxed it :D' a few minutes later. Took longer than I thought :D

Dembele would be valuable against Argentina imo, we'll need someone that's good at keeping possession. Although I'm not a huge fan of playing both Witsel & Dembele because they're both controlling & fielding them both means we'd lack in offensive movement.

Defour is great at manmarking to keep an opponent out of the game & infiltrates as well. Not sure if he should be starting against Argentina though.

Nainggolan please.. Have you ever seen him put in a good performance for the national team? I sure haven't, unless you count scoring a goal when he was trying to play a pass..

all this focus on the defending aspect whereas I reckon with our style of play, positioning of the players we have, movement, organisation, we're pretty sound in that area. We don't have an explicit hardworking defensive midfielder style De Jong but is it always necessary to have such a player in the team? Isn't modern football past that Gattuso-Van Bommel style of playing anyway?

I'd leave Dembélé out against Argentina.

As much as I love him, we don't need possession in that game. Fellaini is far more useful upfront when we're countering, or on set pieces. And Dembélé lost possession in defensive midfield quite a few times against South Korea, which would be deadly against Argentina.

I was actually surprised by his performance against South Korea.. I don't think I've ever seen him give the ball away as much as he did there.

Regardless, I'm pretty confident our midfield will be identical to the one against the USA

think he can be useful as a replacement player when for example in front and you need to keep the ball in the team to bring rest in the tent, which would've been great vs the US at the end (maybe instead of Chadli?).

Nainggolan please.. Have you ever seen him put in a good performance for the national team? I sure haven't, unless you count scoring a goal when he was trying to play a pass..

Lol how can you judge him on the NT? He had 3 small cameo appearances and one half against Ivory Coast. Ive seen him play for Roma regularly and he was by far the best Belgian midfielder this season.

Was a big fan of his because of his impressive season(s) in Italy, but he lost a lot of sympathy because of his criticism over not being called up 'because he deserved it more than others'. He's done absolutely nothing to warrant such comments. He's had a few chances in the NT before but he's disappointed every single time. I don't think anyone can argue that there's others for his position that are clearly better at this point in time. He could've maybe gone instead of Defour but that's about it.

wasn't meant to be. Disappointed by the way we played, might as well have gone out of the tournament with a great style of play instead of a boring 1-0 loss, and only some sterile pressure by balls in the air pumped in the box and hoping for a lucky goal/deflection.

yeah we all hope so. For our return to the highest stage I think we did well tbh, had some luck with the draw and other group's results, and should be delighted with a top8 status at the World Cup all in all.

not to forget Hazard's absence mentally it seems. To be honest the ones that were trying to put dynamism in the team were Mertens and Mirallas, and to me Wilmots didn't use them as well as he could, but that's the only critique I have. And maybe Januzaj as an extra option, but seeing he used Mertens and Mirallas so sparsely and gave Hazard loads of credit it makes sense I suppose.

Hazard lost the game, if you have to pick out anyone. A team conceding one goal that came from a deflection and a volley should not be blaming their defenders for anything.

tbh it was a fluke ball landing in front of Higuain of a deflection and he thought quickly, was opportunistic, took a shot and managed to score. Whether Kompany had lost the ball before, obviously without losing it Argentina wouldn't have been on the attack, but apart from the possession element that didn't ultimately decide on the created opportunity for Higuain anyway.

You might even blame Belgiums attack for not reaching the semi's. It shouldn't be that hard to overcome a 1-0 trailing. (Dangerous for a Dutchie to do this kind of statements before a match against Argentina :D)

Archived