Official Belgium aka The Red Devils thread

Purefun

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

even Greece was exciting to watch yesterday, albeit after trailing and being 11 vs 10 against Costa Rica but still ... with the wide players they had and the two up front they looked quite ok even

Belgium have definitely been the strongest team in the World Cup on the boredom scale, may have scaled new heights.

I'm not gonna deny we've been (one of) the most boring team(s) on the WC, but scaling new heights... then you're just exaggerating.

Also bare in mind our 3 opponents: Algeria had no other intentions against us than parking the bus, Russia was along with us one of the slowest playing teams of the tournament, while against South Korea we had to play the majority of the game with 10 players.

I reckon against stronger opponents we might've gathered less points, but we would've played more attractive football.

sad thing is we'd play this way against any team it seems. In qualification for example I do remember the tough 1-0 wins over Macedonia for example. Seems we have difficulties unlocking defenses. And in Serbia for example we were suffering as well, and scored on the break.

Let's face it: despite our talented players we're (still) a counter attack strategy playing country. We did get our best results that way, but I do feel we can do better playing our trump cards better, trump cards we didn't have before, in attacking midfield. Now with a great player up front to connect with, a player in form, who knows.

People keep talking down the opponents in our group & saying we underperformed.

We didn't play sparkling football sure, but look at Germany Algeria from yesterday fgs. We didn't even give away chances against them, whereas Germany had real problems. Bring on the muricans! will be a more open game I reckon

we didn't underperform as such, we "underplayed" and could've made things easier for ourselves by playing more attacking, quickly, passing the ball around better, letting the ball do the work, playing one touch etc. Result-wise it was great. Obviously if results are great we need something else to be picky on as well.

As for Germany, well, maybe they had difficulties cause their team is hyped and not as good as people think it is? Think about it, who's in the team and on the bench. Especially in defense they're having injury worries and up front they have Müller as striker and Klose as backup. They're suffering a bit like us that way actually.

Seen that like a dozen times now, so unimaginative.. The only thing the muricans can come up with concerning Belgium is waffles? We'll see how that breakfast agrees with your stomachs tomorrow boys :D

MYGtoPd.jpg

lost at home 0-3 or something to that effect in the qualifying, long ball from Stam as assist for the first goal. Strategy was to let him do the buildup from behind, give him the room for that, and then he gave the assist ... oh the irony

• SI Staff

Definitely want USA to win after experiencing Graspop. So many Belgians who were sore and adamantly supporting Mexico.

They didnt consider Holland vs Belgium as a nice card either.

So uhm... America? **** yeah! :D

Our finishing was embarrassing imo. We went from being efficient to wasteful overnight. It reminded me of Belgium-Scotland in the qualifiers.

If we play bad we are efficient, if we're good we're wasteful :D

If they didn't have Messi I'd agree. We are a better team, apart from that little man who can decide it all on his own.

Di Maria, even though he's been poor this tournament, could also have one of his moments where he dribbles past everyone and puts it on a plate for someone to tap it in.

At this moment I consider it a 50/50 match. If we play as good as we did last night though, which is the best I've ever seen from us actually, we can surely beat them.

our wingers will have to track back that's for sure, their widemen against our fullbacks could cause problems

but i'm sure we can cause them trouble as well.. Could go either way really, but I'm still in the buzz from yesterday :cool:

Do you really? The last time you beat us was in 98, when you had one of your strongest teams ever.

That semi only has one outcome... humiliation for Oranje.

I really want to play Belgium, yes. I'm pretty sure we go out in semi's whatever the opposition, and Belgium is my second favourite team. Humiliation though? I thought Belgium was pretty exposed at the back yesterday. You haven't had real opposition this whole tournament as well.

Congrats, chocolatiers. The better side won today.

Go beat the Argies and claim the Malvinas for yourselves.

*grumbles something about Jurgen van den Broeck not being able to podium*

Yes, yes, congrats Belgium. :rolleyes::thup:

Great pic :thup:

The Belgian team are in such a great position now. Have nothing to lose, nothing to prove and still are good enough to be with the favorites. Keep playing like yesterday and they have to fear no one. Well done after such a long time away from the tournament.

As a non-Belgian, I can only fear for the coming Euros and WCs, this team should be getting even better.

Best part about this team is that yeah, in 2 and 4 years time, we could (should?) be even better.

Last night we were unbelievably good. A match that means our world cup has been a succes no matter whether we win or lose against Argentina.

Especially if you should have Benteke for future tournaments. Pretty much combines the ball control/technique of Origi with the penalty area ability of Lukaku. Think he's been a big miss for you guys this tournament.

Yeah we do miss him I think.

But Origi is only just starting his career. From what I've seen of him he's far more talented than Benteke. He's already playing like a veteran striker, only thing lacking against the US was finishing.

Archived