Official Belgium aka The Red Devils thread

Purefun

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's wrong to hope for a minor injury to someone so Thorgan gets in right? :(

What's your link with Thorgan Hazard btw Philip? Don't get me the wrong way, I think he's a talented kid. But not in the same league as let's say Januzaj. It's hard to imagine where he would fit in, instead of who?

I hope so. He's much better than Fellaini & Defour.

Cant believe Nainggolan was left out while he had a better season than the above 3

I'm not a Defour fan but he has proven Wilmots his worth the past campaign. And Fellaini... despite all the schtick he's been getting, he has a pretty unique profile. If he performs at his top level he wins like 95 % of the aerial duals in both defense and midfield and is a considerable threat during set pieces. He might not be the most technical or mobile player, but you have Dembele or Witsel for that.

I dunno, for me it's a very logical selection with the right balance of players who deserve to be there and players we need, even though there might be players missing who deserved to be there.

• Administrators

Yeah it's the Chelsea connection, although it's more because I keep pretty close tabs on everyone away on loan and I've watched most of Zulte Waregem's matches in the last two years and just wanted him to do well. As I sort of admitted at the start of the thread I know he's not going to be considered better than Januzaj or Mertens or any of those in his position but I can still hope :cool:

Wasn't picked during the campaign because Wilmots received negative reports concerning his behavior from the national -21 coach Johan Walem.

I think he also was a benchsitter for Lazio most of the time after the new year.

Seems like Proto broke his wrist. With Casteels still injured and Courtois unavailable we only have Mignolet for the game against Luxembourg.

Not sure who should replace him... remember we are talking about a 6th! choice GK here, if u include JF Gillet as normal 3rd choice :D

Bossut, Ruud Boffin, Coosemans, Sels, Kaminski? no very sexy names there.

How the **** has Januzaj made the squad? Certainly hasn't merited it on performance.

He won't be able to make any future nationality switch if he plays in the World Cup, will he?

So Bossut it is.

Better hope nothing happens to both Courtois and Mignolet or we'll be royally screwed.

You're worried about something happening to two keepers? We're worried about something happening to just the one

yeah Januzaj being part of the squad is also a way to tie him to the team.

If he hadn't been called up, he'd have a couple of months in which he could potentially change his mind. Hasn't been called up just for that though, I genuinely can't think of anyone who should be in the team ahead of him.

10 years ago he might have had a chance.

We're incredubly lucky have Courtois nowadays. And Mignolet as backup. That's something most countries can only dream of. Apart from Germany and Spain, there's not a country in the world with a goalkeeping duo as good as them.

• Administrators
yeah Januzaj being part of the squad is also a way to tie him to the team.

He'll still be able to play for Kosovo I think, if they ever get full recognition. Pretty sure I've seen FIFA or UEFA say that they'd be allowed to repatriate any eligible player wishing to switch (Shaqiri, Xhaka, Behrami etc, basically Switzerland would be ****ed).

• Administrators

Actually, I might just be wrong

The rules state that if a ‘new’ country is formed and join FIFA then players capped by the nation that went before it can switch allegiance (in this case Serbia) but not those who've played for other nations (such as Albania and Switzerland).

Not sure that'd stand up to appeal if fought but still.

Ruud Boffin is supposed to be doing really well in Turkey.
I remember him being just very average at MVV :o

When he first arrived, he was awful. Couldn't hold a ball. Came out for crosses and misjudged them. Didn't seem like he knew how to position himself. The one plus he had was that he could use his feet well.

But now he has settled and has become one of the better goalkeepers in the league. When he first arrived, Eskisehirspor fans used to shut their eyes as soon as a ball approached their goal. Now they are celebrating his new 4 year contract with the team. :)

Actually, I might just be wrong

Not sure that'd stand up to appeal if fought but still.

It's a rule that makes sense, though in case of Kosovo you can understand why players would not want to play for Serbia first.

By the time Kosovo is a full FIFA member, Januzaj is probably already retired anyway.

Yeah has to do with the fact that if he really wanted to play for Kosovo, he should have declared a few months ago, just like Behrami, Shaqiri and Xhaka. They played for Switzerland AFTER the possibility to declare for Kosovo.

Yeah has to do with the fact that if he really wanted to play for Kosovo, he should have declared a few months ago, just like Behrami, Shaqiri and Xhaka. They played for Switzerland AFTER the possibility to declare for Kosovo.

They declared to play for Kosovo?

that's odd ; how can you declare willing to play for a nation that does not exist in UEFA/FIFA records, nor is internationally recognised by for example Serbia even. Think they can still change their minds once Kosovo becomes full member of UEFA/FIFA. At least that would seem logic.

Unless the fact Belgium (or Switzerland) has no link with Kosovo/former Yugoslavia means they cannot change back?

Archived