The Official Holland aka The Netherlands aka Oranje thread

Ah that's ok because you get a penalty for 'contact', don't you.

I think when it comes to Robben it works on a points system, he is scored by the ref and his assistants for each dive and when he accumulates 30 points or more then he gets the penalty that he has tried the entire game for.

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just don't know what to say anymore :D

De Jongs injury is problematic. Not only qualitywise, but also in terms of mentality. He's the real captain of this team, correcting players where needed in game. Still, Costa Rica is doable, semi's to be the end station. Which is way better than I imagined three weeks ago.

think currently there's no team standing out tbh, anyone can win it really with the necessary form/luck/referee decisions/suspensions/injuries factoring in the advantage of the winners

tbh the Dutch have been very efficient so far so who knows if they can keep this up

If the Dutch get past Costa Rica, a semi-final against Belgium and a final against Germany would be so ideal :).

Well yeah, as long as we win it of course :D . I don't know if I can deal with another world cup final defeat...

Actually my ideal scenario would be semis against Argentina and winning the final against Germany. All our world cup traumas will be dealt with!

Actually I just noticed we have 5 players on a yellow card: Kompany, Witsel, Vertonghen, Alderweireld and Dembélé.

If we do beat Argentina but have to miss Kompany and Witsel for example, or Alderweireld now that VDB is out injured, we're going to be in serious trouble. Witsel probably the most irreplaceable out of those.

Losing against Belgium would not be a trauma for me. The ARG and GER ones were the bad ones, the feeling we got screwed over and that at the finals. Brazil still has this scenario in it. Losing against the host nation... now THAT would be a trauma

from what I thought Belgians would be much more traumatised by losing from the Dutch than the other way round. Anti-Dutch sentiments much more widespread here than anti-Belgian sentiments in the Netherlands.

Think it's cause we're seen as the crazy nephew or something, for which they feel sympathy.

hmmm that good period wasn't that the one they changed system coincidentally?

Of course it was. 4-3-3. You won't catch Cruijffie advocating anything else :D

I think LvGs approach of being able to switch systems mid-game according to needs is superior though.

Yep, I think he has improved a lot as a coach/manager over the last decade or so. From what I recall, he used to be more of the 4-3-3 always school (very generally speaking ofc, his Ajax team was, well, different), and wouldn't change tactics. Now he isn't afraid to change if it suits the players better, and he is better at playing to the strengths of who he has available. Have read he did the same in AZ, though I know nothing of his work there tbh. In short, he is more pragmatic than Cruijff was. And as brilliant as he was as a player and manager, it's easier to sit from a nice couch and criticise for not playing "beautifully" enough. At the end it's about results, and if Holland got ripped to shreds by Spain in the first match, lost confidence, and went out in the groups by playing beautiful football, LVG would be heavily criticised, probably by Cruijff too.

I reckon it's only an issue for Louis in the sense that he takes the wind from his players, protects them. I mean, no doubt other players wanted to play this way as well, taking advantage of the qualities available, but would never have been accepted to play this way or dare to even suggest it themselves without risking their heads being cut off.

Anyway: system is on paper, it's the way you play on the pitch that matters no matter how it's on the charts before the game.

it is the kind of sub you can't go wrong with actually, if Krul saves penalties it's thanks to Louis, if he doesn't well then it was an educated gamble. Or maybe I could also be pedantic and say he should've used the 3rd sub before to try and win the game in regular or extra time.

We were so brilliant yesterday :cool: People may not see it, but we utterly dominated that match against a team who had dealt with other big teams already. How we didn't score will forever remain a riddle, apart from the fact that RvP was not great and that he, Lens and Depay were off side so often that I started to hate the linesman for being right all the time :D

So many players did not enjoy last nights game. Blind was poor, de Vrij and BMI looked dodgy, Wijnaldum was poor again and RvP was especially disappointing. Lens had a bad day as a sub. In the end, LvG won us our game. It's a miracle we've made it to the semi's but now that we've got so far, I'm kinda hoping to go all the way here.

I'm not all that nervous. Never expected us to go this far and we have nothing to lose. Tonight it's Messi and if if if... then Sunday it's against the team that steamrollered Brazil. No one is expecting us to win these games so we can only have an expected or a positive outcome.

Oh well.

My only complaint - could've just let RvP hang around for the rest of ET and brought Krul on again. Huntelaar did nothing anyway

And who the hell nominates ****ing Ron Vlaar to take the first penalty ffs? :D

Vlaar was having the best game of his career. You can understand why he felt confident. And in a shoot-out, confidence is probably as important as technique.

That said I fully expected Huntelaar to take the first, after his penalty against Mexico.

Archived