The Official Holland aka The Netherlands aka Oranje thread

• SI Staff

This is the thread for all vice-World Champions related info

The squad is yet to be announced by potential new Manchester Utd. manager Louis van Gaal

Preliminary 30:

Goal:

Jasper Cillessen 5 0

Tim Krul 5 0

Michel Vorm 14 0

Jeroen Zoet 0 0

Defence:

Patrick van Aanholt 1 0

Daley Blind 9 0

Daryl Janmaat 13 0

Terence Kongolo 0 0

Bruno Martins Indi 13 2

Karim Rekik 1 0

Joel Veltman 1 0

Paul Verhaegh 1 0

Ron Vlaar 22 1

Stefan de Vrij 9 0

Midfield:

Jordy Clasie 7 0

Leroy Fer 5 0

Johathan de Guzman 8 0

Nigel de Jong 69 1

Wesley Sneijder 97 26

Tonny Vilhena 0 0

Rafael van der Vaart 109 25

Georginio Wijnaldum 3 1

Attack:

Jean-Paul Boetius 1 0

Memphis Depay 4 0

Klaas-Jan Huntelaar 60 34

Dirk Kuyt 98 24

Jeremain Lens 20 7

Robin van Persie 82 41

Quincy Promes 1 0

Arjen Robben 73 22

The games:

June 13th: Spain - The Netherlands

June 18th: Australia - The Netherlands

June 23th: The Netherlands - Chile

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So if it's true that Van Gaal is experimenting with more defenders, I expect him to call Van Dijk up. Good in the middle for 3-5-2, good on the right for 4-3-3.

Right side of central defence, you mean?

• Administrators

Netherlands

Cillessen, Krul, Vorm, Zoet

Van Aanholt, Blind, Janmaat, Kongolo, Martins Indi, Rekik, Veltman, Verhaege, Vlaar, De Vrij

Clasie, Fer, De Guzman, De Jong, Sneijder, Van Der Vaart, Vilhena, Wijnaldum

Boetius, Depay, Huntelaar, Kuyt, Lens, Van Persie, Promes, Robben

• SI Staff
5-3-2? Not 4-3-3?

It's a system on paper, obviously the "system" will flow in variations. All 5 defensive players can also attack and if you have De Jong/Blind in midfield, you have another controlling player. Lots of positional shifting.

But, Louis says:

"Omdat Kevin Strootman er niet bij is en de linksback een positie is die in Nederland moeilijk in te vullen is, heb ik over deze 5-3-2-opstelling nagedacht. Vervolgens heb ik met de aanvoerders overlegd en individueel met spelers. Die spelers werden steeds enthousiaster. Op deze manier gaan ze allemaal in hun kracht spelen. Dat wil niet zeggen dat ik het systeem ga toepassen. Dus erover praten heeft nog geen zin."

Van Gaal gaf aan dat hij deze opstelling nog wel graag in de praktijk wil zien. "Ik denk niet dat ik zo snel van die opstelling af zal wijken. Het klinkt allemaal heel mooi, maar in de praktijk kan het anders zijn. Op de training ben ik in ieder geval erg tevreden hoe er verdedigd wordt. Mijn opdracht is te spelen in de Nederlandse voetbalschool. Door het wegvallen van Strootman ben ik van opstelling veranderd."

• SI Staff

Vaffanculo! :D

Basically he says he has no Strootman and no proper left-back, the players have become enthused about the 5-3-2 - so he will try this in the upcoming friendly. Doesn't mean he will play it at the World Cup, though.

Vaffanculo! :D

Basically he says he has no Strootman and no proper left-back, the players have become enthused about the 5-3-2 - so he will try this in the upcoming friendly. Doesn't mean he will play it at the World Cup, though.

You remind me of when I was watching Barcelona vs Spartak Moscow at the Camp Nou a year or two ago.

Spartak went 1-2 up (but Barcelona won 3-2 in the end) and at that instance some Russians sitting a couple of rows in front of us turned around and started shouting "Vaffanculo" to the Spanish crowd :D

Those Russians were absolute idiots though, and were completely mugged when Messi scored the 3-2. Lovely.

I'm so done with Louis' Eredivisie fetisj. Van Aanholt is so poor, yet he gets picked over Emanuelson. Bacuna would be a pretty good wing back. Douglas and Van Dijk are better defenders than our Eredivisie youngsters. Elia is better than Boëtius and Promes. And Clasie is just a horrible dwarf. Blegh.

• SI Staff
I'm so done with Louis' Eredivisie fetisj. Van Aanholt is so poor, yet he gets picked over Emanuelson. Bacuna would be a pretty good wing back. Douglas and Van Dijk are better defenders than our Eredivisie youngsters. Elia is better than Boëtius and Promes. And Clasie is just a horrible dwarf. Blegh.

If you want to play with a wingback, I think Van Aanholt is actually our best option. Maybe Emanuelson.

I prefer Boetius over Elia.

If you want to play with a wingback, I think Van Aanholt is actually our best option. Maybe Emanuelson.

I prefer Boetius over Elia.

I don't. Wingback or not, they will still have to be able to defend while we're playing Chile, Spain and god knows who more if we actually go through. Emanuelson plays the position at Milan decent (not good, but decent), while Van Aanholt is average at Vitesse.

Same goes for Elia vs. Boetius. Boetius is pretty good in Eredivisie, but failed miserably against France. Elia is acceptable at Werder Bremen in Bundesliga and played wonderful games in Oranje.

• SI Staff

Tonny Trindade de Vilhena, Karim Rekik, Quincy Promes and Jean-Paul Boëtius will NOT be with the Oranje squad the next few days and will join the Holland U21 squad for their games against Scotland and Luxembourg.

They are still possible for the World Cup squad though.

Sneijder, N. de Jong, Lens, Robben and Van der Vaart are still with their clubs.

• SI Staff

Squad against Ecuador:

GK

Daryl Janmaat, Joël Veltman, Stefan de Vrij, Bruno Martins Indi and Terence Kongolo.

Daley Blind - Jordy Clasie

Georginio Wijnaldum

Robin van Persie - Memphis Depay.

• SI Staff
That was the Eredivisie level.

Apart from RvP (and a few subs) - all the players were from the Eredivisie indeed. Essentially this was the reserve team - bar Janmaat and also RvP who needs minutes to be match fit. He looked alright, and his goal was brilliant.

It's interesting though. I'd pick Clasie as one of the guys to go home. He wasn't good - but he did give a nice assist.

Janmaat was shocking, but he's normally the starting DR though.

• SI Staff
I think they haven't played together often which might have impacted their performance today.

This is their first official game in this sort of formation, Kongolo made his debut - and considering Veltman, Depay, Clasie, Blind, Cillessen, de Vrij and Wijnaldum all have less than 10 caps.... you're right

First time in this formation or not, the game yesterday just proved my point about Eredivisie. It's okay if you've got two or three home based players there, but you need the quality of players who have to perform week in week out at a high level. Clasie was poor, he is the most overrated player in Holland.

• SI Staff

I disagree, it could have easily been 3-1 for Holland and then we would have been ecstatic. Clasie was a 6/10 - like the majority. Except for Janmaat who was horrible. And Depay who was a positive.

Archived