Sports Interactive Community

No. I don't think so, at least I think there needs to be more to it than that.

Last match saw 9 shots on target but only 3 key passes.

So even if you don't count passes that lead to shots not on target and passes that lead to shots that are blocked, then it still doesn't seem right.

It's such a basic thing but seems a very definition to what it was years ago.

Playing devils advocate here, but it's possible 6 of the shots were after blocks/saves/tackling, so there was no key pass leading to it?

I must admit I always believed that key passes were those before an assist or for a saved shot. However, maybe on the new system, key passes are linked to CCC's?

I've always a assumed a key pass is a through pass, basically a pass that's hit behind the d-line.

A Key pass as far as I know is a pass which leads to an assist which leads to a goal, or a pass which leads to a shot which is not scored.

Playing devils advocate here, but it's possible 6 of the shots were after blocks/saves/tackling, so there was no key pass leading to it?

I must admit I always believed that key passes were those before an assist or for a saved shot. However, maybe on the new system, key passes are linked to CCC's?

It's possible. Let me check.

[Edit]

#1 was a cross from the right and a header at the back post. Maybe a cross doesn't count?

#2 was a cross from the left and a header at the near post.

#3 was a cross from the right and a header in the middle of the goal.

#4 was a direct free-kick so no key pass there.

#5 was a crossfield pass followed by a dribble and a shot.

#6 was a decent short passing move and then a cut-back and shot.

#7 was neat interplay followed by a tame shot.

#8 was a tackle and then a pass, (deffo a pass not a tackle the ball in that direction), followed by a dribble and shot.

#9 was scored so that will be an assist and not a key pass.

Now let's have a look at ccc's.

Mmmm. Could be.

By jove I think you've got it. 1 ccc & 2 hc's = 3 key passes.

[Edit]

Oh hang on. No. That doesn't work because I scored from one of the hc, (so that key pass will actually be an assist).

Unless the pass that led to the assister is given as key? That was.... so let me look.... No. That doesn't work either.

:confused:

A Key pass as far as I know is a pass which leads to an assist which leads to a goal, or a pass which leads to a shot which is not scored.

No. That's not it I'm afraid.

[Edit]

Apologies. Need to explain why that's not it.

My AP has 3 kp's and he is the only member of my team to get one.

We won 1-0.

He didn't get the assist for the goal and didn't assist the assist.

He did make a through ball that created one of the hc's, but he wasn't involved in the other hc or the single ccc.

I've always a assumed a key pass is a through pass, basically a pass that's hit behind the d-line.

No. Don't think so. Let's check though because it theoretically could be.

My AP had all 3 kp's in the game in question so let's look at his passes.

He made 59 of 64 passes, but because that's not the way I play I can't see a single pass like that.

[Edit]

Ok. I found 1, but only 1.

Doesn't the stats get updated live in-game, so you can literally watch the key passes as they tick up and that way work out what counts as key passes and what doesn't?

No. That's not it I'm afraid.

[Edit]

Apologies. Need to explain why that's not it.

My AP has 3 kp's and he is the only member of my team to get one.

We won 1-0.

He didn't get the assist for the goal and didn't assist the assist.

He did make a through ball that created one of the hc's, but he wasn't involved in the other hc or the single ccc.

Key Pass The final pass or pass-cum-shot leading to the recipient of the ball having an attempt at goal without scoring. - OPTA definition, think that is what game uses, but will go nag for an official answer later :D

Key Pass The final pass or pass-cum-shot leading to the recipient of the ball having an attempt at goal without scoring. - OPTA definition, think that is what game uses, but will go nag for an official answer later :D

Thanks, but that's deffo not what the game uses.

Or if it is, it's not working as intended.

Doesn't the stats get updated live in-game, so you can literally watch the key passes as they tick up and that way work out what counts as key passes and what doesn't?

Great idea. :thup:

I didn't want to do this because it initially seemed labour-intensive, but in hindsight it now seems a lot less labour intensive than doing what I have been doing and still not knowing.

**********Newsflash.**********

An assist can be both an assist and a key pass. I have just scored after 19 seconds and my BWM had made 1 pass with no key passes before he slid my right back in down the right hand side of the area. I paused the game after the DR shot 1st time and it had changed to 2 passes and 1 key pass. When I continued the highlight on until after the ball struck the back of the net, an assist was added to this and the key pass remained.

I have always, (incorrectly), assumed that you did not get both a key pass and an assist.

At Half-Time I have had 3 shots on target. Despite this I still only have 1 assist and 1 key pass which both relate to the opening goal.

My theory holds water based on that (key=through pass), although I wouldn't be surprised to be proven wrong :)

It would be very useful if key passes had their own section in the analysis menu, so you can see them on the pitch and click to view them.

Thought this was a family friendly forum ;)

It's a pass that creates a chance (as opposed to a shot).

Well is that a clear cut chance or a half chance or something else?

I'm not trying to be awkward, but it doesn't seem to be either from what I can see.

Is a cross also a pass?

Remind me to go back and post the highlight of the chance at 53 mins in the Sampdoria game that was not deemed to be a "key pass" despite it being a pass just across outside the 6 yard box and hit on target only to see the GK pull off a great save.

It was a pass.

It was the direct link to what went before and the shot, (so it created it).

It was a chance. (Surely it was a hc at the very least?)

Yet this was not counted as a key pass.

[Edit]

It was indeed counted as a hc.

We just dont have enough information about this game. There is millions of these little thing that nobody really knows how this and that really works. The is no need for SI to be that vague. Some things you can find out by yourself but many thing have so many variations that there is no way that one person would ever have enough time to really get the picture how these things really work in this game.

Looks like definition of key pass is just one of these thing.

Amen to the above.

It's poor that there hasn't been an actual answer to this yet although I have my own theories as to why that is.

My own take on 'key pass', for which I have no real certainty, is that it is a pass which is collected goalside of the opposition defence. This seems to match what I see in the ME when the stat is added.

It would be very useful if key passes had their own section in the analysis menu, so you can see them on the pitch and click to view them.

I wouldnt use key passes, but chances created (assists plus key passes), and rather that run a total, i would monitor as a per game stat. In fact I think every stat should have a per game view.

Agreed, chances created would be better since this is a statistic that is more commonly used by the media these days.

The problem with not using key passes and only using chances created, is that you have an individual key pass stat that is collated for each player, but you obviously do not have either a ccc created or hc created stat for individual players.

To my mind these are both a little suspect too. Sometimes I look after a game and am astounded as to what is and isn't considered a key chance.