The Socceroos Thread

William Hall

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We're on the right track, just probably lacking that little bit of extra class at either end, which admittedly is very hard to find. Kruse and Williams make a reasonable difference and hopefully the younger guys push on whilst making sensible choices where they move to and from.

We really do need a striker and I cannot see anyone coming through. Bresciano will also leave a big hole.

I think the challenge for the national team is how they take this experience and respond in the Asian Cup. The pressure will be on and Galant defeats won't cut it.

We really do need a striker and I cannot see anyone coming through. Bresciano will also leave a big hole.

I think the challenge for the national team is how they take this experience and respond in the Asian Cup. The pressure will be on and Galant defeats won't cut it.

Robbie Kruse?

Robbie Kruse?
Could be, hasn't really played as a lone frontman type much though; maybe Leckie centrally and Kruse back on the right and that doesn't have the physical & aerial presence so would be another interesting alteration to how we set-up if he's the 'striker'. A more interchangeable front 3 perhaps?

I'll be curious to see how Taggart (presumably) goes against Spain.

Could be, hasn't really played as a lone frontman type much though; maybe Leckie centrally and Kruse back on the right and that doesn't have the physical & aerial presence so would be another interesting alteration to how we set-up if he's the 'striker'. A more interchangeable front 3 perhaps?

I'll be curious to see how Taggart (presumably) goes against Spain.

This is what I'd do, Kruse is more of a dribbler than a finisher and would be better on the wing if we're sticking with a single striker. Leckie is also not that bad in the air, not in the same league as Cahill obviously but who would be :D? It'd be good to have a striker who is good with the ball at his feet at any rate, as I feel like it'd be better long-term with Ange's system. If Taggart develops well then perhaps he could play up front, Kruse on the right, Leckie cutting in from the left and with Oar in the Bresciano role at #10.

It will be interesting to see how we play against Spain without Cahill. Presumably Taggart will get the nod but Ange seems to rate Halloran, perhaps Leckie could start at striker with Halloran on the right? I'd like to see us stick with Mat Ryan in goal, too. He hasn't really brought his club form to the international stage yet and could have done better for Depay's goal but he's a talented keeper and is only 22.

No way you'd put Oar into #10 - that's where Kruse has been successful in Germany isn't it? Don't think he's been out on the right there.

Halloran needs to be on the flank against Spain, his speed with the way their full backs push on would be fantastic.

Expecting them to come out and give us a hiding to restore at least some semblance of pride in their tournament.

I'm actually ****ing disgusted at our performance against Spain. Not sure what was worse, watching Ben ****ing Halloran continually give the ball back to Spain, or listening to Craig ****ing Foster cream himself about how Spain was full of legends. Spineless, dismal performance and our passing was abysmal.

Our 4th World Cup is now over and it's been full of valiant performances yet no reward. The boys have provided us some great games and great moments and we haven't embarrassed ourselves against the best. A lot of the young players have done well and this has been a great learning curve, despite the limited time left with Timmy Cahill, the future is bright!

Foster just ruins watching the game. Stop coaching and actually commentate. Echo your sentiments on the performance, wrong game to be poorest on the ball.

Overall, Oar a major negative, not that I rated him that much anyway and slightly disappointed with Ryan as well. Spiranovic and Wilkinson pretty good. Davidson had an unusual time of it, talked up a fair bit and pretty good going forward but is arguably at fault for about half the goals.

Still, I went in expecting no points; we got that but better performances than I thought mostly. The Asian cup should be a real target and a smoother 2018 qualification. Very important that the younger guys make sensible career moves both in terms of time and destination, rather than chase the cash first chance they get. See Rogic, Tom.

Not sure there's that many positives to take away. Some good play in parts, but we never really threatened to take the points in any game.

Looking ahead, Jedinak, bresc, Cahill and even McKay were good, but none are likely to be around in 4 years. Spiranovic was ok, but the rest of the defence were too inconsistent or just not there. Ryan was ok, but certainly didn't claim his position going forward. I can see Langerak getting some game time in the Asian Cup.

The less said about the wide players, the better. Oar was largely anonymous and Halloran is up there with Portugal's Eder as the worst player in the tournament.

Archived