Sports Interactive Community
The Guy From The Sunny Place

Greece - The official thread

Didn't even realise Greece were in the world cup.

A team hasn't been picked, probably because Fernando Santos himself doesn't know who he's going to pick. I'm half expecting Charisteas, Basinas, Dellas and Fyssas to be called up.

I was wondering out of curiosity, is it common for Cypriots to root for Greece during major tournaments?

I could probably get in the Cyprus team, tbh.

But yes, everyone I know will be rooting for Greece.

I was wondering out of curiosity, is it common for Cypriots to root for Greece during major tournaments?

Yes, it's very common.

Don't want to get into politics of the island, but 3 of the 5 top teams on the island regularly display Greek flags at their home games so it shouldn't be much of a surprise.

Provisional squad:

Goalkeepers: Alexandros Tzorvas, Orestis Karnezis, Panaglotis Glykos, Stefanos Kapino

Defenders: Avraam Papadopoulos, Vangelis Moras, Kostas Manolas, Giannis Maniatis, José Holebas, Sokratis Papastathopoulos, Giorgios Tzavellas, Loukas Vyntra, Vasilis Torosidis, Nikos Karabelas

Midfielders: Alexandros Tziolis, Andreas Samaris, Kostas Katsouranis, Giorgos Karagounis, Panagiotis Tachtsidis, Ioannis Fetfatzidis, Kostas Fortounis, Lazaros Christodoulopoulos, Panagiotis Kone

Forwards: Dimitris Papadopoulos, Dimitris Salpingidis, Giorgios Samaras, Konstantinos Mitroglou, Theofanis Gekas, Stefanos Athanasiadis, Nikos Karelis

Avraam Papadopoulos, Vyntra, Tziolis, Katsouranis, Karagounis, Dimitris Papadopoulos and Gekas shouldn't be allowed within 50 miles of the squad...

Can possibly add Holebas to that list too. But wait and see, I predict at least 4 of these players will start the first game.

Was in Kavos for the first Greek game, great atmosphere, shame about the result. :cool: