Sports Interactive Community
AndyFal36

The Official England World Cup Thread

If Ox is out then I'd probably take Flanagan given the fact we started with a right-winger at right-back yesterday!

but but but what if his leg was like this and not like that .. HE COULD HAVE HAD HIS CAREER ENDED!!!

If Ox is out then I'd probably take Flanagan given the fact we started with a right-winger at right-back yesterday!

It seems kind of silly to replace a fast, tricky guy with someone like Cleverley or Carrick

He could use this chance to bring in someone that can play right back seeing as I reckon his faith in Smalling is draining by the day

I don't think the squad really need another central midfielder anyway, so having a genuine back-up for Johnson makes far more sense than anything else given what we've seen in the 2 friendlies so far.

Didn't watch the game, but looking at the red card it really doesn't seem that bad at all. Certainly not a red card.

Ox injury is a massive shame. I really hope his injury doesn't keep getting stalled by injuries, he's got the potential to be an excellent player. Replacement has to be either Flannagan or Carrick, either of those would provide the cover we'd need for either RB or DM. I wouldn't mind if Stones got called up either but hasn't he played mainly at CB?

Please not Cleverley though.

Ox was the best player on the pitch IMO so that's made this injury even worse. Such a silly injury too. Guy just rolled on the ground and hit his knee

He always impresses me when I watch him, and I've heard nothing but good things about his performance last night. Really is a big blow. He could have easily been a starter, or at worst he was an exciting option off the bench. The players to come in all have their strengths but we've lost a really good attacking option.*

*Assuming the injury is as bad as feared

Thought he started off a bit slow but really grew into the match and started to impose himself

Calm down guys, Ox hasn't been ruled out yet

Think all signs at the moment point to worse fears. For an Arsenal perspective it could be multiple months, best thing could be 2-4 weeks, but that'd still pretty much rule him out of the World Cup. Will be hugely surprised the agony he showed and the concern from the English staff it turns out to be nothing what so ever and he can resume training in 1 week.

He's been ruled out 10 days to 3 weeks.

They could still take him but as Arsenal fan i don't want him risked.

So at best it could be him out of the group stages with a return for the last 16. Question will be is he worth taking for the latter stages only? I'd say so over a more defensive option.

So at best it could be him out of the group stages with a return for the last 16. Question will be is he worth taking for the latter stages only? I'd say so over a more defensive option.

Could potentially only miss the Italy game.

He's been ruled out 10 days to 3 weeks.

They could still take him but as Arsenal fan i don't want him risked.

:( that's disappointing.

They've got another couple of days to access him, but I don't think there's any point in taking him.

Carrick it is then, although I'm worried about our defence and reckon Stones or Flanagan might be in for a decent shout given how shaky we've looked over the last couple of games at the back.

:( that's disappointing.

They've got another couple of days to access him, but I don't think there's any point in taking him.

Carrick it is then, although I'm worried about our defence and reckon Stones or Flanagan might be in for a decent shout given how shaky we've looked over the last couple of games at the back.

This is why we really should have taken Carrick over Lampard.

Don't feel we need Carrick though. We took one less defender so we could take one more attacking midfielder, so if one of those attacking midfielders is not to go then it'd make sense to call in a defender. Carrick would for me only play if Gerrard wasn't to play. Way Roy has played so far it'll be Gerrard alongside either Hendo/Wilshere with a Barkley/Rooney in front with the wide men being from Welbeck/Sterling/Milner/Lallana then Sturridge/Lambert up top.

If Carrick was to go it would have been in original squad over Lampard with Lampard on back up, but Carrick form this past season was hardly pulling up trees so literally was a flip of the coin for that (I'd probably have gone Carrick maybe though).

There really is no point calling up Carrick, either bring in Red Cafu or take a chance on Ox being fit for at least 2 of the 3 group games

Don't feel we need Carrick though. We took one less defender so we could take one more attacking midfielder, so if one of those attacking midfielders is not to go then it'd make sense to call in a defender. Carrick would for me only play if Gerrard wasn't to play. Way Roy has played so far it'll be Gerrard alongside either Hendo/Wilshere with a Barkley/Rooney in front with the wide men being from Welbeck/Sterling/Milner/Lallana then Sturridge/Lambert up top.

If Carrick was to go it would have been in original squad over Lampard with Lampard on back up, but Carrick form this past season was hardly pulling up trees so literally was a flip of the coin for that (I'd probably have gone Carrick maybe though).

We also offer our defenders very little protection outside Gerrard, so we are banking on him playing 90 minutes of every single match? Absolutely no risk involved in that thinking...

There really is no point calling up Carrick, either bring in Red Cafu or take a chance on Ox being fit for at least 2 of the 3 group games

I disagree. This is the first time since I can remember that we've gone into a tournament without a seasonal DM. Carrick obviously isn't built in the mould of Batty, Ince or Butt, but he's played that position (and excelled at it apart from last season) for a number of years. If Gerrard was to get injured/tired, the back up seems to be Wilshere playing deep, and that's not his natural position. I don't want Lampard anywhere near the first team, so I'd welcome Carrick into the fold.

saying that I wouldn't say no to either of the backup defenders. Our defence is so **** right now.

Hodgson was delighted to see Rooney play well in his unfamiliar position on the left wing at the Sun Life Stadium. The Manchester United forward's goal - a tap-in from a yard - could have not been more simple, but his overall play - a mixture of power, pace and vision - was exemplary.

"I thought Wayne Rooney played very, very well," Hodgson added. "I thought it was a very good game. I was disappointed with the sendings-off, and the potential injury to one of our players, but as a friendly, a warm-up match for our players, it was good."

Hodgson sang the praises of Oxlade-Chamberlain, Wilshere, Phil Jones and Lambert, but he refused to talk in the same manner about Ross Barkley despite the midfielder's impressive full debut. The 20-year-old showed flashes of Rooney-esque play in the former Everton player's preferred number 10 role.

Hodgson tried to play down the midfielder's contribution though. "I'm not prepared to address your obsession with Ross Barkley," said Hodgson, who accused the media of having an "obsession" with Rooney on Tuesday. "He lost the ball an awful lot of times as well. If he's going to be the player we want him to be, he has to make better decisions of when he turns with the ball.

"That's not a criticism, but there were other performances out there today who merited your 'obsession' more than Ross Barkley's. Oxlade-Chamberlain and Phil Jones were outstanding, Jack Wilshere in the middle of the park, Rickie Lambert scored a magnificent goal."

Now I only saw the first 15 minutes and the highlights, but Rooney seemed to give the ball away and make poor passes more than Barkley to me?

Is Rooney just immune from all criticism from his managers? And Hodgson saying that about Barkley seems very harsh to me. Barkley got an assist and played a key-pass which Rooney could have hit with his left-foot, but ended up doing a poor cross to nobody.

Medial Knee Ligament damage for Oxlade-Chamberlain. Thats a shame, he's probably out of the World Cup. Too late for replacements?

BBC Radio 5 live ‏@bbc5live 3m

FA say @alex_oxchambo has sustained a medial knee ligament injury. Latest next from @Iandennisbbc in Miami>

Yeah, isn't it too late to replace Ox now? FIFA squad deadline was 2 June, I thought you could then only replace people up to the start of the tournament in the event of serious injury. Which, if there's still a chance he could play the second, third game etc., I wouldn't think applies.

A player from the final squad can only be replaced up to 24 hours prior to his country’s first group game if he suffers a serious injury, which must be confirmed by FIFA’s Medical Committee. The replacement player does not have to be selected from the provisional 30-man party.

Yeah, so up to FIFA's definition of "serious injury".

Would love Flanagan to go and to play ahead of Glenbo.

Do you ever shut up about Flanagan? Jeeez

Barkley looked promising, but rarely made the right decision in who to give it to and when. You need to do more than look dangerous against very good teams, you need to actually produce and not give it away needlessly.

Banning for friendlies, wtf :D

Only 2nd England player sent off in a friendly, Trevor Cherry vs Argentina in '77 the first

I could swear Alan Smith got sent off once?

Alan Smith was sent off, but not in a friendly. Was a Euro 2004 qualifier against Macedonia.

So Ox has until next week to prove he's fit enough to go. Probably gonna go to the wire.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/england/10881957/What-Sven-Goran-Eriksson-told-Portugal-keeper-Ricardo-before-Englands-2006-World-Cup-exit-on-penalties.html

Oh there's the expected book saying something about England on the eve of a tournament. Ricardo of Portugal, I guess all our old players have had a go. Guess what? It's about penalties ... who would have guessed!!

Anybody seen a predicted team for tonight? Back to the likely first 11 that started against Peru is it? Considering that the two most likely to break into the side are now injured and suspended.

Probably, only thing I could see is Barkley in for Lallana, and Rooney pushed out wide. But I think Barkley will be on the bench VS Italy.

I do not like the side we had against Peru ... and that's more than likely what we'll see against Italy. Sigh.

Still think Milner will start against Italy. Pragmatic, cautious, ugly draw to get at least a point on the board.

Probably, only thing I could see is Barkley in for Lallana, and Rooney pushed out wide. But I think Barkley will be on the bench VS Italy.

Don't think Italy is a game for Barkley. Much more likely feature against Costa Rica though, where he'll have more space to power in to.

Hopefully Wilshere, Ox, Barkley, Sterling etc will all be key players for Euro 2016, could do some real damage if they progress as expected/hoped.

Think the only places that I would hazard a guess that are still up for contention are Lallana and Welbeck. With Ox injured, reckon that could keep Lallana in the side as Ox really did impress on the front foot. Welbeck think would have been under threat if Sterling wasn't suspended as he was suppose to start tonight so think that could keep Welbeck in the side now. If Milner is to start against Italy it'd be in place of Lallana for me on the right side to cover for Johnson, but are Italy that much of a threat down the left? The team I'd have against Italy would be the team that played Peru, with Welbeck and Rooney on must perform duty with Sterling/Barkley waiting in the wings.

I really really don't want us to be sensible or defensive and show respect or fear to Italy.

Go all out and attack with pace and scare them. Drop Rooney, ignore Milner, and play Gerrard, Henderson, Wilshere behind Lallana, Sturridge, Sterling - with Welbeck and Barkley on the bench

I really really don't want us to be sensible or defensive and show respect or fear to Italy.

Go all out and attack with pace and scare them. Drop Rooney, ignore Milner, and play Gerrard, Henderson, Wilshere behind Lallana, Sturridge, Sterling - with Welbeck and Barkley on the bench

That would end very badly for England.

Going attacking like that would be an awful idea in that humidity, what we need are players able to keep the ball and limit the amount of running we do.

Gerrard and Henderson behind Lallana with Rooney on left and Milner on the right and then Sterling and Barkley to come on for the final 20/25 mins to run at the Italians would be better.

Alternatively, my view has always been for England to play and set up like Liverpool this season.

Hart, Cahill, Jagielka, Wilshere, Rooney

replacing

Mignolet, Skrtel, Agger, Coutinho, Suarez

Running around like headless chickens in the heat and humidity would be really daft.