The Official England World Cup Thread

AndyFal36

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Oliver Kay ‏@OliverKayTimes · 2m

Roy Hodgson confirms #ENG line-up v #CRC tmrw: Foster; Jones, Cahill, Smalling, Shaw; Milner, Lampard, Wilshere; Barkley, Lallana; Sturridge

so we wait till we're out to play 4-3-3. good one.

Would that be Barkley out wide? If so :thdn: He's going to get wasted for the next few years, just no it. Also Jones RB? FFS. Play him CB and sub Smalling on later, Jones needs to impress at CB as that'll be his only position not RB!

I think Roy said everyone would get a chance (apart from Ox who's injured), so I wonder whether he's planning on swapping keepers at half time.

Although he also said Gerrard would play some part in the game and I would expect Lambert to get a run out, so it remains to be seen whether he'll want to use up a sub on the keeper or just leave one out.

Did Oxlade-Chamberlain and Phil Jones not get pulled out of the last Under 21 international tournament to play a useless friendly against Brazil. Problem with the youngsters is they are not ready for these international tournaments as they pull out of youth team duty, or the manager pulls them out to "protect" them like Wenger did to Jack Wilshere that time.

How many of the Germany U21 side that demolished us in 2009 are in their senior side now and look how well they're doing.

What a dire England squad that was, only Walcott, Milner and Hart have really come on from there

It staggers me that Roy can say 'I can't have asked for a better performance', I mean I can only presume he is saying it so not to kick them when they are down, but a dire 0-0 draw with a Costa Rica side already through beggers belief. No pace of passing and little movement again. If this type of outing is what we are ok with then we aren't going to move forward anytime soon.

That game felt like a game in which we needed at least a point to make sure

I put in predictions 1-1 but deep down I had a feeling for 0-0, kicking myself

It was ... ok but it worries me we lost the habit of winning. We'd always nick a win in nothing games in the past but Ecudaor, Honduras and now Costa Rica (not needing to go mad) and we don't clinch it

We really lack goals from midfield

Though Foster had a really tidy game. Didn't have too much to do, but did it really well.

I agree. Showed good hands throughout (for a bloody change!) but he's 31 (?) and will he even be around in 2 to 4 years? Why not play Forster.

If we needed a point today to qualify I wouldn't want to see Foster in goal and he'd probably not have caught those crosses either. Fragile as ****

Need to put the players into a system which plays to their strengths, or conversely use a system which suits the players you select. Simply picking your best eleven players and shoe-horning then into default FOTM formation isn't a guarantee of success. You just need to look at how frequently nations with far fewer resources and a far thinner pool of talent turn up at the same tournament as England and completely out-perform them. The issue's not one of a paucity of talent or ability, it's direction and pragmatism which is lacking.

Can not understand why England don't play their best #9 at #9. There's one self-inflicted wound for starters.

Italy had England on toast because they realised Baines was going to be horribly exposed with Rooney playing in front of him, so they just gave the ball to Darmian all night knowing he'd have free-reign to bomb up and down the right largely unhindered. In three games I didn't see anything of the same ilk coming from England. Italy aren't a great side, but they were still able to come up with a relatively simple plan to maximise their own strengths and exploit England's weaknesses. England just seem to work on the basis of 'Our 11 > Your 11 = We win' without really giving it any thought beyond that.

I thought Shaw and Lallana did alright yesterday. That was it in terms of positives really, though it wasn't a completely dire performance by England.

One thing though... Why Phil Jones at RB? I don't see too much of him playing during the season, but surely he's a centre back and nothing else?

We didn't have any other Right Backs to choose from. Regardless, i don't think he is particularly amazing at centre back either.

Both him and Smalling need to kick on or they should start to be dropped for the Euro 2016 Qualifying group squads.

I thought we did ok yesterday, Hodgson is right that we should have put our chances away and we would have won but we were still pretty conservative. maybe he was just scared of the reaction of if he were to lose all 3 group games.

I'm still positive that we can build a young team during the qualifiers, but i'm very wary of the fact we are going to be hoping that some of these players turn out as good as we think they will be. For example if Stones and Flanagan actually turn out to be consistently good players a back 4 of Flanagan-Stones-Cahill-Shaw is an exciting future for England. Beyond that though i think we will have tactical dilemmas for the attacking side of the team, How will we fit Barkley, Rooney and Sturridge in the same team? we can't in the current formation and it would be equally as awkward in a 4-3-3. we'll have to see how it goes and i'm actually looking forward to it... a bit.

My biggest concern going forward is goals from Midfield. In the past when the attacking lot failed to deliver we use to have players from midfield who were capable of scoring, Beckham/Gerrard/Scholes/Lampard etc. Now we could potentially have like Henderson/Wilshere/Barkley or another CM, and none of them scream goals :( So it's more pressure on whoever leads the line to deliver and deliver well.

We didn't have any other Right Backs to choose from. Regardless' date=' i don't think he is particularly amazing at centre back either.

Both him and Smalling need to kick on or they should start to be dropped for the Euro 2016 Qualifying group squads.

I thought we did [i']ok[/i] yesterday, Hodgson is right that we should have put our chances away and we would have won but we were still pretty conservative. maybe he was just scared of the reaction of if he were to lose all 3 group games.

I'm still positive that we can build a young team during the qualifiers, but i'm very wary of the fact we are going to be hoping that some of these players turn out as good as we think they will be. For example if Stones and Flanagan actually turn out to be consistently good players a back 4 of Flanagan-Stones-Cahill-Shaw is an exciting future for England. Beyond that though i think we will have tactical dilemmas for the attacking side of the team, How will we fit Barkley, Rooney and Sturridge in the same team? we can't in the current formation and it would be equally as awkward in a 4-3-3. we'll have to see how it goes and i'm actually looking forward to it... a bit.

I don't see Flanagan being the answer long term for England. Will be interesting to see how many starts he gets for Liverpool next year. Stones is probably a couple of years away from being ready to play at international level. Barkley can't play consistently in a midfield three right now, but in time he should be able to do it comfortably given the potential he's shown playing further back for Everton at times.

Great treatment of Rickie Lambert at the tournament btw. 3 minutes he played. He'd have been the proudest player there and he played 3 ****ing minutes.

Anyway I don't think England are that bad off. A few inches the other way in the first two games and we are in a completely different situation. Laughable that Lallana doesn't start by the way. I don't care how biased I am. He's the classest act in the English squad.

Need to find a simple and effective CM. One that can compliment Hendersons energy nicely. Genuinely think Jack Cork is a great shout if he plays regularly for Saints next season. I can't think of a better one.

England need to stop pandering to individuals and start picking players to do roles in a team. Teams like Chile have players set up to play a role not fitting their system around the players and their reputations.

My biggest concern going forward is goals from Midfield. In the past when the attacking lot failed to deliver we use to have players from midfield who were capable of scoring, Beckham/Gerrard/Scholes/Lampard etc. Now we could potentially have like Henderson/Wilshere/Barkley or another CM, and none of them scream goals :( So it's more pressure on whoever leads the line to deliver and deliver well.

I think Barkley has potential in that department. Better than 1 in 5 in his breakthrough Premiership season, 1 in 3 for Sheffield Wednesday in the Championship. Not Lampard figures of course but not bad for a teenager even if he did play as a #10 for most of it.

He's raw as hell though so it's hard to say what kind of player he will turn out to be and whether he will add more goals to his game or end up less direct etc.

Great treatment of Rickie Lambert at the tournament btw. 3 minutes he played. He'd have been the proudest player there and he played 3 ****ing minutes.

Unfortunately the team isn't decided by who would be the proudest

In England squads down the tournaments it's rare the final striker in the squad get to do much.

Anyway I don't think England are that bad off. A few inches the other way in the first two games and we are in a completely different situation. Laughable that Lallana doesn't start by the way. I don't care how biased I am. He's the classest act in the English squad.

Need to find a simple and effective CM. One that can compliment Hendersons energy nicely. Genuinely think Jack Cork is a great shout if he plays regularly for Saints next season. I can't think of a better one.

England need to stop pandering to individuals and start picking players to do roles in a team. Teams like Chile have players set up to play a role not fitting their system around the players and their reputations.

Contradiction? If we need to start building for the team first, why should Lallana start necessarily?

Archived