The Official England World Cup Thread

AndyFal36

Weren't Uruguay playing a 442?
Not vs. England. At least not for the first 65-70 mins (until they brought on Stuani)

It was a variant of though. More of a diamond Rios in front of the defence, the onion, Lodeiro and Gonzalez with Cavani and Suarez. Usually you'd expect a second DM but the forwards always drop deep for Uruguay.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Getting players from other countries like Sterling (he is originally from Jamaica, not from England) might help England to be able to compete with the big nations in the future...

Funny for 2 reasons, the first is how wrong you are and the second is that you're german :D Even for you that is a shocking post.

Funny for 2 reasons, the first is how wrong you are and the second is that you're german :D Even for you that is a shocking post.

Is he wrong? Always thought Sterling was from Jamaica originally, (though moved here young). Or am I totally missing something? :p

Is he wrong? Always thought Sterling was from Jamaica originally, (though moved here young). Or am I totally missing something? :p

He was born in Jamaica and moved to london at 5. So yes, he's right but it's a far fetch to say England got him from another country. Unless they're scouting and encouraging 5 year olds to move.

Yes because we didn't "get him" from another country, that and the fact that the German squad is packed full of players that could have quite easily played for other countries. If there's a country who should avoid questioning other national teams players nationality then its the Germans.

Yes because we didn't "get him" from another country, that and the fact that the German squad is packed full of players that could have quite easily played for other countries. If there's a country who should avoid questioning other national teams players nationality then its the Germans.

German Turks like Ozil and Gundogan are second/third generation Turks born in Germany, its make them German as every other German, just a different heritage.

Thanks for telling me what i already know, the point is they could quite comfortably represent Turkey if they wanted as for the last bit well no not really. Same with Klose/Podolski they are both Polish born in Poland to Polish or atleast 1 Polish parent.

I respect anyone's decision to play for the country they feel they are connected to or whatever but none of that is the point, the point was if any national team had no legs to stand on regarding other teams players nationality its the Germans, thought i'd repeat that bit since you clearly missed it.

Thanks for telling me what i already know, the point is they could quite comfortably represent Turkey if they wanted as for the last bit well no not really. Same with Klose/Podolski they are both Polish born in Poland to Polish or atleast 1 Polish parent.I respect anyone's decision to play for the country they feel they are connected to or whatever but none of that is the point, the point was if any national team had no legs to stand on regarding other teams players nationality its the Germans, thought i'd repeat that bit since you clearly missed it.

So you're basically saying Ozil isn't German despite the fact in was born in Germany? Ok!

You do realise that Podolski's situation is no different to Sterling's.

I read it as him just trying to highlight the hypocritical nature of Kontermann's post, I could be wrong though.

Thats exactly the point i'm making.

"questioning germanys selection" is something you've completely made up grff. I haven't done that at all as you'll find if you actually read the posts you are replying to.

Curiously, the DFB actually "loses" more players to other federations than anything. To quote a Twitter post: "36 players in the 2014 World Cup were born in Germany. 21 of them are on the German squad". Actually the German squad is one of the lesser interconnected, and even considering a margin for error in research, shockingly, onpar in such with the FA's squad:

http://codehesive.com/wc-ancestry/

The picture of socities some are trying to paint has been outmoded for many years. Be it in Germany, in England, almost anywhere. Personally I have had great grandpartens who were Italian just as well. But in the meantime it shows in nothing but my last name, my father doesn't speak a word of Italian (though raises the Italian flag in the front garden every cup in parts no doubt so he can **** off his neighbours when Germany go out to Italy - again). :D

Too soon for Shaw' date=' if he moves to ManUtd and gets CL football in the future then sure, until then Gibbs should be in pole position, only left back we have who has loads of CL experience.[/quote']

Very true. Champions League football should be the main decider. It's really helped Welbeck, Jones, Wilshere and Smalling kick on and the lack of it has severely hindered Barkley, Sterling and Sturridge.

Mesut Ozil's a traitor, should've been loyal like Giuseppe Rossi.

Nah Mesut did fine, if he had chosen for Turkey, he wouldn't be at WC 2010 when he shined there and his career might have took another turn.

Besides, our Turkish NT is a shambles, our last tournaments was the semi-finals at Euro 2008, we missed 3 tournaments in a row :D

Nah Mesut did fine, if he had chosen for Turkey, he wouldn't be at WC 2010 when he shined there and his career might have took another turn.

Besides, our Turkish NT is a shambles, our last tournaments was the semi-finals at Euro 2008, we missed 3 tournaments in a row :D

Fingers crossed for you lot to qualify, the next Euros you'll be there anyway. Still lacking consistency, but at Euro 96 the state of Turkish international football was still all merely pushovers, worth remembering that. It's not been that long ago.

Speaking of which, the most recent Turkey squad, if Wiki is to be believed, featured 9 players born in Germany. Turkey qualifying could have made the number of German-born players in this cup just about explode. :D

It has been hillarious to read some of the reactions to England's exit :D

England has generally by far been the most overrated team in the world, when it comes to expectations. And until recently, it wasn't only the English papers, which overrated. For instance the Danish media almost always had England amongs the favourites to every tournament until recently. But it is like the failure to qualify to EURO 2008 opened the eyes of the international press.

The English media just seem to be acting as usually. Ofcourse I can understand the disappoitnment of going out after the group stage, but calling the performance "shame", "disgrace" or "letting their country down" is just ridiculous. Yes, you lost two games in a row and both performances wasn't great, but both was also far from being that bad. What happened in reality is that a rather mediocre English team lost two even games against opponents, which can be seen as stronger (Italy) and equal (Uruguay). Can't see any shame in this. Ofcourse unless you actually believe that the English team is a contender for the World Cup :D

Funnily enough the only time I remember when the English team didn't get slaugghtered after exit nor was seen amongs the favourites was at EURO 2012. And at that tournament for first time in ages (ever?) the English team performed better then expected!

Another thing which is weird, is that there always needs to be a scapegoat. I can understand why Beckham was scapegoat after France 98 (although not the extend of how much blame he got), but here? Yeah, Gerrard didn't have a great day, but his mistake leading to the 2nd goal is something which happens.

As for the future- despite that I wouldn't blame Hodgson too much, I don't think he's the right man for the job. Never really rated him very highly and the truth is, that he got the job very randomly in the first place. What England should do is to get good manager and give him some time to implement a new playing system and to find out WHO of the youngsters is worth giving a chance and who's not. And IMO they shouldn't go for Redknapp. From the British managers available I seriously think that Brendan Rodgers would be the best choice.

I'm going to break a habit of a lifetime here & give some praise to Gerrard.

Glad to see that today/last night he has called Redknapp out on the nonsense that he has been spouting about England players not wanting to play for England & crying off all the time.

It was clearly just bollocks that 'Arry made up to be able to be relevant for a few days, so great to see Gerrard asking him to name names if that's the case. We all know old melty face will hide behind not wanting to upset anybody, but in reality it'll be because he can't back up his story.

Redknapp is a complete idiot who is clearly still bitter about not getting the job. He is probably referring to david Bentley turning down the U21 call up and spinning it to cause a fuss as usual. Let's also remember that old arry boy is a journos favourite so it fits in well that it would be him who spins a line to the media who can continue to make the most out of England not doing very well. Trebles all round on fleet street.

And as you say. Right on Stevie G for calling him out on it.

It has been hillarious to read some of the reactions to England's exit :D

England has generally by far been the most overrated team in the world, when it comes to expectations. And until recently, it wasn't only the English papers, which overrated. For instance the Danish media almost always had England amongs the favourites to every tournament until recently. But it is like the failure to qualify to EURO 2008 opened the eyes of the international press.

The English media just seem to be acting as usually. Ofcourse I can understand the disappoitnment of going out after the group stage, but calling the performance "shame", "disgrace" or "letting their country down" is just ridiculous. Yes, you lost two games in a row and both performances wasn't great, but both was also far from being that bad. What happened in reality is that a rather mediocre English team lost two even games against opponents, which can be seen as stronger (Italy) and equal (Uruguay). Can't see any shame in this. Ofcourse unless you actually believe that the English team is a contender for the World Cup :D

Funnily enough the only time I remember when the English team didn't get slaugghtered after exit nor was seen amongs the favourites was at EURO 2012. And at that tournament for first time in ages (ever?) the English team performed better then expected!

Another thing which is weird, is that there always needs to be a scapegoat. I can understand why Beckham was scapegoat after France 98 (although not the extend of how much blame he got), but here? Yeah, Gerrard didn't have a great day, but his mistake leading to the 2nd goal is something which happens.

As for the future- despite that I wouldn't blame Hodgson too much, I don't think he's the right man for the job. Never really rated him very highly and the truth is, that he got the job very randomly in the first place. What England should do is to get good manager and give him some time to implement a new playing system and to find out WHO of the youngsters is worth giving a chance and who's not. And IMO they shouldn't go for Redknapp. From the British managers available I seriously think that Brendan Rodgers would be the best choice.

The majority of England fans know what you are talking about, but being fans of the team obviously we find it infuriating rather than hilarious.

As long as you know that most reasonable England fans don't follow the medias every word on the national football team...

Yeah, I saw that.

I didn't realise there are parts of 'arry's book in the papers though. What a surprise, I was wondering who'd a book out before the tournament speaking out about England and it seems 'arry never wants the England job then

Thankfully all this has come out after the exit rather than in the build up

He's saying Spurs players and that obviously narrows down the list. Talk about throwing them under the bus! Seeing as how he exagerates everything though including Gerrard's text about wanting him to manage England you can probably assume he's making this up too!

We know there are plenty of drop outs and I am sure it's every bit as much from managers as from players. Some niggles that you'd happily play through at your club is enough to pull out of internationals and things like that

Watching the Yanks last night they're like the opposite of us

I don't think they have a massive amount of quality but are very athletic, do basic things well (although last night was a bit slack from both sides) and work extremely hard and importantly they have a hell of a lot of belief. If we could have a fraction of that belief. It's not 'we know we can perform' belief either, those players believe from the bottom of their souls, they will work and run and fight and don't want to be beaten

It's ingrained in their mentality though even in a sport in which they are not a heavyweight.

They are not going through their squad saying 'he'd never get in the Ghana team, nor would he' or 'not one player would get in the Portugal team' and obsessing over these things like which club they play for and being depressing

Each passing World Cup highlights the team ethic and ethos over 'superstars', especially in the earlier stages and all we do is get worried cause our defenders are only at Everton and stupid things like that

Thing I dont get with England is, Rooney is your best player and v Italy you are wanting him to chase fullbacks.

He has got one goal one assist probably has the highest rating cant remember who has the assist for his goal?,,,,of course he shouldn,t be chasing fullbacks going towards our goal anyway he's no good at it :D

Redknapp is a complete idiot who is clearly still bitter about not getting the job.

Not going to judge, but what will always stick with me are his remarks about teams. In 2010, he classed then Slovenia a "bottom half of the Championship team at best". And in 2007, he argued none of the members of the Croatia squad would get anywhere near England's then starting eleven.

Whether that is just his character or whether there is genuine delusion at play is hard to tell for me though.

What is the point of starting Lampard?

I'd even have Milner starting in the middle tomorrow, we may actually need that at some point. Shame Ox is not fit, if he isn't. Shaw nailed on to play even if Baines was ok imo

I hope we can go out and relax, just go have a game.

The players will likely say 'we want to sign off with a win' and how important it is but let's see, on the field, heads drop early on if we're not in the lead and they get on the ball more

They have a good defence, bit susceptible to pace?

So Chamberlain was brought with the intention of making it for Uruguay game and he ends up being ruled out for the whole group stage and even if England go through he probably would still not be fit enough :rolleyes:

Don't see the issue tbh, it was worth the risk, not as if anyone missing out by having Ox there would have a difference.

I'm going to break a habit of a lifetime here & give some praise to Gerrard.

Glad to see that today/last night he has called Redknapp out on the nonsense that he has been spouting about England players not wanting to play for England & crying off all the time.

It was clearly just bollocks that 'Arry made up to be able to be relevant for a few days, so great to see Gerrard asking him to name names if that's the case. We all know old melty face will hide behind not wanting to upset anybody, but in reality it'll be because he can't back up his story.

Agreed, props to Gerrard on this. So sick of Redknapp.

Not going to judge, but what will always stick with me are his remarks about teams. In 2010, he classed then Slovenia a "bottom half of the Championship team at best". And in 2007, he argued none of the members of the Croatia squad would get anywhere near England's then starting eleven.

Whether that is just his character or whether there is genuine delusion at play is hard to tell for me though.

Put it this way, his current team QPR just got promoted to the premier league with self-proclaimed "one of the smallest budgets in the division". QPR's wage budget is bigger than Dortmunds.

Ox a great player to have in the squad if you want to have flexibility with formations because he can part of that midfield three or he can be used further forward as part of the front three.

No one doubts that, but it becomes moot if he so unfit he cant make an impact.

Should have taken Red Cafu, would have done better than Baines.

Behave :D

Considering we wouldn't have changed the shape, I agree. But then I would have seen us play 3 in midfield.

Exactly, 3 in the middle would be better but we were never gonna change the shape.

Archived