The Official England World Cup Thread

AndyFal36

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Agree with you, Darren. Especially when it's after a ****ing friendly ffs :D Some people seriously need to get a grip.

This is England.

We read EVERYTHING into our friendlies but everyone elses don't matter :D Bah, just a friendly, who cares

I agree about the squad talk. From during the season thinking we don't have any players we actually have an interesting squad for now and going forward. All these options and decisions and whether to use the young players and the fact these young players like Sterling and Barkley and Ox appear as though they won't freeze if they come on

Previously it was all about the Beckham, Lampard, Gerrard, Scholes and who will play where and left-side problems. Even though we had a genuinely good side of players playing at top sides then I am kind of more excited about this squad in a way, whatever happens.

I think the fact Hodgson seems a genuinely nice guy too

Being England we obviously need a national problem so that has fallen to Rooney and shall we or shall we not pay him. He's hardly shone in friendlies but he's got to start but I think there is more faith in the bench right now compared to previous squads where 'these are the best players' and a fear to remove any of them in a way

Another clip show on BBC3 at the minute.

John Barnes on Voller/Rijkaard: "We all knew that Holland and Germany didn't like each other... because of the 1974 Final and whatever else went on".

THE WAR JOHN, THE WAR. FFS :D

More and more noise by the day that Sterling is looking like a good shout to start against Italy which I'll be delighted with if Roy does that. Who'd be the most likely candidate to be dropped for him if it were to happen? Welbeck/Rooney/Sturridge or Lallana?

I'd drop Lallana. Not sure what Sterling's done in an England shirt to merit a start however

Why should this matter for anything, surely you just pick the 11 best men for the game plan for the day?

Why should this matter for anything, surely you just pick the 11 best men for the game plan for the day?

Of course it matters. Time and time again we're reminded that international football is a completely different kettle of fish to regular day in day out league games. Some players make the step (up), some, no matter how good they are don't.

Welbeck for instance, he's displayed all the mental attributes to make it at this level. Constantly performing when the pressure's on. Same can't be said for some others, such as lallana, who are untested under such scrutiny.

Not even sure why, apart from the pressure and unusual opposition that international football should be so different. But it is, and we can't treat it as another game.

I don't think it's "the international game", well maybe there's a extra layer of pressure, but I think any differences in performance are more to do with how gelled the players are in the system, their colleagues, the style of play. Same reason why some players perform in Premier League and not Serie A and then others do the opposite, etc.

Sure it's a risk but "untested" doesn't necessarily mean it will fail, it might work and if it's the best option on paper might well be worth it. But I thought you were talking about some sort of merit thing, hierarchy in the dressing room type of thing.

Gerrard for me for his experience and if his long pass is good we could be a threat on the counter,Lallana in the centre he showed in the last match with a bit more luck could have scored from one/two's into the box,Lallana and the younger ones need more game time really!

Drop Gerrard, play Henderson and Wilshere in Midfield, Barkley ahead of them, Lallana left, Sterling right and Sturridge up front.

I dont trust Barkley to close down Pirlo, Lallana to keep up with Abate, and Wilshere to maintain any real defensive presence alongside Henderson.

Another clip show on BBC3 at the minute.

John Barnes on Voller/Rijkaard: "We all knew that Holland and Germany didn't like each other... because of the 1974 Final and whatever else went on".

THE WAR JOHN, THE WAR. FFS :D

Yeah .... but MOSTLY 1974, right :D

See Phil Neville must still be hankering for a return back to Man Utd under van Gaal how much he has defended Rooney. Literally can't do no wrong in his eyes.

He's not alone either, there's a lot of ex pros talking about how great Rooney is

It's like seeing people talking about how world class Torres is.

Well they stand more of a chance of winning with Welbeck in the side.

Pure conjecture. There's little evidence to say one way or the other whether England would do better with or without him. He's probably the 10th or 11th name on the team sheet.

It's like they're all oblivious to his past tournaments bar Euro 2004. Literally am surprised they're not arguing for Lampard to start alongside Gerrard ffs.

Glenn Hoddle did just that the other night.

Pure conjecture. There's little evidence to say one way or the other whether England would do better with or without him. He's probably the 10th or 11th name on the team sheet.

What a load of nonsense. Welbeck has been Englands best player under Hodgson, and only Rooney has scored more goal since he took over despite Welbeck playing wide.

What a load of nonsense. Welbeck has been Englands best player under Hodgson, and only Rooney has scored more goal since he took over despite Welbeck playing wide.

Hart

Baines

Cahill

Jagielka

Johnson

Gerrard

Henderson

Rooney

Sturridge

Which one of these are you less worried about getting injured than Welbeck?

Just because he was the best player, in your opinion, since Hodgson took over doesn't mean he is as important a player now. He's not had a good second half of the season at all, whereas other members of the squad, not included in the 9 above, have.

Hart

Baines

Cahill

Jagielka

Johnson

Gerrard

Henderson

Rooney

Sturridge

Which one of these are you less worried about getting injured than Welbeck?

Just because he was the best player, in your opinion, since Hodgson took over doesn't mean he is as important a player now. He's not had a good second half of the season at all, whereas other members of the squad, not included in the 9 above, have.

Except he has been an important player throughout. He has had a good season for England, which is what actually matters here. He would be playing against their right back, the extremely aggressive and pacey Abate.you need an extremely quick player who is good going forwards and backwards, it would be a huge blow, it also would rob us of a lot of pace. Against Italy I worry about Welbeck as much as anyone.

It's almost like people want Rooney to do well and don't want to spend their time slagging him off

Seen this article about the pitch in Manaus being a bit ropey?

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/worldcup/england-v-italy-thin-and-scarred-by-yellow-lines--england-to-send-inspector-amid-concerns-over-state-of-manaus-pitch-9528671.html

Want Rooney to do well? Perish the thought :D It's a fairly obvious reaction to some of the press he's been getting, some accurate, plenty over the top. In return they are trying to take the pressure off. Not as if he doesn't know he needs to have a big tournament, both for himself and England.

Nice pitch, we'll just have to get on with it. Bit of a shame though.

Except he has been an important player throughout. He has had a good season for England, which is what actually matters here. He would be playing against their right back, the extremely aggressive and pacey Abate.you need an extremely quick player who is good going forwards and backwards, it would be a huge blow, it also would rob us of a lot of pace. Against Italy I worry about Welbeck as much as anyone.

Sterling ticks all those boxes and others more unpredictability going forward. He can defend and be disciplined as he has shown when deployed as a wing back occasionally for Liverpool, he also has a embarrassing amount of pace. I'd lose no sleep if Welbeck were to miss the Italy game. The only players I'd be concerned about getting injured are any of the back 5.

Archived