The School of the Defensive Arts

great read, as always. One puzzling thing though, nowhere in this thread on Defensive football do i see any mention of the "Use Tighter Marking" team instruction. I guess the Defensive starting strategy takes care of that, to some extent, but I'd have thought it was a pre-requisite of any defensive strategy?

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply
great read, as always. One puzzling thing though, nowhere in this thread on Defensive football do i see any mention of the "Use Tighter Marking" team instruction. I guess the Defensive starting strategy takes care of that, to some extent, but I'd have thought it was a pre-requisite of any defensive strategy?

Well through the thread you'd have seen me mention that player positioning is vital at all times. Using tighter marking wouldn't be such a wise move as there is no need for it, I need the players to be in the positions their roles and the settings I gave them allow them to be. If I gave them that instruction then there is a high risk they get pulled out of position.

The key to any defensive strategy is shape and maintaining it so cracks and gaps don't appear above all else imo.

I juz implemented similar playing style in my new ManU save playing 4312 with counter approach. So far its awesome. 5 wins in 5 league games(For 17 - Ag 2). Will update my season progress. Not to mention Community shield 7-0 win. The only goals I conceded were 1 from IFK and one my defender lost header in the area.

team instructions I used are

shorter passing

retain possession

more disciplined

roles are

GK(d) - distibute to defenders

WB(A) CD CD WB(A)

BBM(S) DLP(D) CM(A)

T(A)

DLF(S) AF(A)

The best part is the football being played looks awesome because your key players have lot of space and time to showcase their skills and vision

• 1 month later...

great thread. I often watch this kind of thread. but finally, Instead of learning something new, I stuck about imitating another's tactic and cant do it right

I really wonder how did you do, when you are still totally begginer like me, so that you can be this great now..

I play a defensive structured 4-5-1 with 2 limited full backs, a defensive midfielder, a box to box midfielder, an advanced playmaker on attack, 2 inside forwards on support with a false nine and my instructions include retain possession, play out of defence, work the ball into the box, short passing and extremely low tempo. Yet my defenders keep hitting it long and the marking and tracking of opposition runs is atrocious despite the fact I have my back four set on tackle harder, Tight marking and close down more.

I find that I concede a lot of long shots with the narrow 4-1-2-2-1, as well as the wings being left fairly open by my Fullbacks. They like to come central when the ball is out wide, leaving the far side completely free.

Would playing wider fix that second issue, and the long shots is due to a poor DM?

Limited full backs. Eurghh. The clue is in the name, they are limited and their job is to leave passing and all of they fancy Dan stuff to more creative players, a FB on a support duty will help you out defensiby because he'll be an outlet and relieve some pressure in your defence.

cleon,

i play a narrow 4-3-1-2 formation and i struggle to counter team who like to play 4-2-3-1 such as spurs, they kept on outnumbering me in the flanks and my full back will always closed down either the winger or the full back despite instructed to close down less leaving the other free to exploit the space my full back leave. my problem also is when they switch plays to the other flanks , with my full back marking the winger, the opposing full back is free to run with balls and cross.

any idea on how to counter that ? im asking here since i dont want to make a thread and since you actually did talk about countering the 4-2-3-1 with the diamond so i might as well ask here.

Great stuff. Makes me think about how Chelsea set up in the tough away games under Mourinho! Just one question. Why don't you utilise the team instructions "Use Tighter Marking" and "Stand Off Opponents"? Would that disrupt your defensive shape, perhaps?

Great stuff. Makes me think about how Chelsea set up in the tough away games under Mourinho! Just one question. Why don't you utilise the team instructions "Use Tighter Marking" and "Stand Off Opponents"? Would that disrupt your defensive shape, perhaps?

I didn't want to stand off as I'm already deep and didn't want to not press them, so left it as it was. As for tighter marking I thought I'd covered that one already, it was due to now wanting to lose shape yeah :)

He answered just a few posts ago

Well through the thread you'd have seen me mention that player positioning is vital at all times. Using tighter marking wouldn't be such a wise move as there is no need for it, I need the players to be in the positions their roles and the settings I gave them allow them to be. If I gave them that instruction then there is a high risk they get pulled out of position.

The key to any defensive strategy is shape and maintaining it so cracks and gaps don't appear above all else imo.

L.E. Oh, I see you got your answer already

Does anyone have experience with tactics of this sort in FM15? I have had a lot of trouble making it work in FM15. Usually my team gets under a lot of pressure and does handle it nearly as well as in FM14. The team also has problems scoring but I suspect this is linked with not being able to handle pressure from the opposition. Not very specific I realise but just wanted to hear peoples reflection on playing with a defensive style in FM15.

What an utterly superb thread! I can't believe I have never seen this before. It has provided me with a totally new way of looking at FM.

Historically I have always been a member of the control or attacking school of mentality and I would never have considered playing a defensive style as my interpretation was that it was purely for grinding out or holding onto a result.

However, I have tried to replicate some of your ideas (not the whole tactic as I realise that isn't the purpose of the thread) and I've applied the defensive strategy to my 433 formation while giving some aggressive roles and duties to my players.

What I am seeing is people still breaking forward and attacking but the passes they pick out are more considered and they don't always look to pass forward when a sideways pass is easier for retaining the ball.

Thanks for giving me some food for thought! :thup:

What an utterly superb thread! I can't believe I have never seen this before. It has provided me with a totally new way of looking at FM.

Historically I have always been a member of the control or attacking school of mentality and I would never have considered playing a defensive style as my interpretation was that it was purely for grinding out or holding onto a result.

However, I have tried to replicate some of your ideas (not the whole tactic as I realise that isn't the purpose of the thread) and I've applied the defensive strategy to my 433 formation while giving some aggressive roles and duties to my players.

What I am seeing is people still breaking forward and attacking but the passes they pick out are more considered and they don't always look to pass forward when a sideways pass is easier for retaining the ball.

Thanks for giving me some food for thought! :thup:

Cheers :)

Glad you like it and found it useful and gave you new ideas about your own saves. Makes it all worth while :)

• 2 weeks later...

Cleon awesome thread!

I'm using a similar formation you used in your OP but i'm using a 4-3-1-2 instead.

I have a question, since most game of these systems is in the middle, do you think it's a good idea to exploit the middle (and maybe play wider) in a constant basis?

Guys, how do you make the camera angle on the 3D show the whole pitch? (like 2D or as you achieved on the 1st page?)

Do i need to go to windowed mode? or was that only for the pictures?

The 3D-elevated shows some part of the pitch.. and roves around (or pans around)

i need a 3D view that stays static, even though the players would appear smaller, just like you did on the 1st page.. how did you do that??

Rather than ruining a tactical thread with questions that have nothing to do with the subject this thread (or this part of the forums tbh) covers why not take the questions elsewhere more appropriate?

so did you find that most games you were changing to the higher tempo/-retain possession, due to the large amount of teams playing with advanced wingers/inside forwards?

I've enjoyed utilising the excellent ideas from this thread, had some decent results with a 4-5-1 but have greatly struggled with possession when making the above amendments. That may be down to the formation than anything else, as it tends to play out in a counter attacking style when playing faster and not trying to keep hold of the ball so much.

I'm starting off in the elevated heights of the Vanarama North with Leamington and have been very interested in the ideas and helpful suggestions from Cleon. Thank you! The idea of a solid defensive system with some teeth in attack appeals to me which is why I've been very grateful for the excellent clear discussion of the principles involved. I can't 'copy' Cleon's system as I don't have any players who are able to make much of a fist of the Regista or Trequartista roles. I am thinking of trying an Advanced Playmaker with a PI of Roam From Position in place of the latter (the general Team Instruction is Stick To Positions, of course). As far as the former is concerned, I wonder whether playing a Libero with a Support role (as mentioned below, I am interested in sweeper systems) might be worth a try if I can find anyone who can do the job?

I wonder if you have any pearls of wisdom about your approach when you are clearly stronger than your opponent? You don't alter the mentality, which, under other circumstances, might seem to be a logical thing to do, so what changes do you tend to make, if any? Of course, having chosen Leamington, I don't expect this to happen very often, but it just possibly might very occasionally.

I've made life even more difficult for myself than usual by indulging my liking for sweeper sytems by trying a 5-2-1-2 SW WB formation. Obviously retraining is the name of the game as sweepers at these levels are as rare as hens' teeth, so I can use all the help I can get......:(

Just a quick update:

Thus far, I'm pretty happy with the way things are going. The approach seems to be working out pretty well and I'm especially glad that the side seems to be playing how I wanted it to, sitting back, absorbing pressure and then striking back quickly and dangerously. It's basically the sort of counter attacking I've been looking for. What's particularly good is the fact that I seem to have got rid of some of my fuzzy thinking. I know that these things must seem very obvious to lots of people but I am easily confused (not only about FM says my husband!). Some of my earth shattering discoveries have been:

1. You don't need to use a 'Counter' mentality to play counter-attacking football. 'Defensive' does the job very well.

2. Keeping Player and Team Instructions to a minimum helps things.

3. You don't need to use High Tempo in order to counter attack.

4. You don't have to play Direct in order to counter attack successfully.

5. You can use the 'Play out of Defence' instruction and still counter attack effectively. I've found that this really helps to avoid mindless hoofing.

6. The 'Short Passing' and 'Retain Possession' instructions do not hinder counter attacking. You'd think they would but they don't!

So thanks for the great ideas, Cleon!!

I'm playing a main tactic of 5-2-1-2 Sweeper/Wingback. If I feel that I am really up against it in a match, I take out the AM and replace him with a DM, ie a 5-1-2-2 Sweeper/Wingback. So actually I don't play a diamond as such at all. I'm trying to adapt the approach to my own system, which I think is what Cleon wants people to do.

• 1 month later...

@Cleon

Have you tried replicating this into FM15? I was a fan of defensive tac in FM14 where my Newcastle was rock solid at the back with 4-1-4-1 but failed miserably in FM15.

- Pretty much any team from the likes of Leicester to Chelski seems to rip me apart from the wings, be it a fluke cross-turned-into-a-wondergoal or pingpong in the box which one of their players suddenly pops up and scores. The likes of Colo, Saylor & Balanta seems to struggle from crosses

- Anita as regista seems to do much less in terms of defending than in FM14, doesn't protect the back four

- Sissoko as BBM seems to love long range shots even when told to shoot less often

- WMs and WMa seems to provide less cover than they used to in FM14

In FM15, it seems that my Newcastle + defensive mentality seems to struggle to even get out of our own half vs teams like Chelski. That is fine by me because every player is supposed to stand behind the ball and hit them on the break as it did in FM14 (TI: be more disciplined, stick to positions, drop deeper) , but this version of FM seems to hate parking the bus football so much that something will go awfully wrong to me by the 20th or 30th min via crazy turns of events.

My team is pretty much the same. Simple straightforward 4-1-4-1 (GKd; WBa, CDd, CDd, WBs; Regista; WMs, CMa, BBMs, WMa; CFs)

Any suggestions?

After tones of hours and tests the best formation i used is this :

GK (GKd) : Distribute to full backs, roll it out, slow pace down

DR (FBs) : Fewer risky passes

DC (CDx) : Pass shorter

DC (CDd) : Pass shorter

DL (FBs) : Fewer risky passes

DM (BWMs) : Shoot less, get futher forward, More Risky passes (I use here my "RGA")

DM (BWMd) : Shoot less

MR (DWs) : Shoot less, Get further forward, More Risky passes, Sit narrower, Run wide with ball

ML : the same

AMCL (APs) : Dribble less, More Direct passes

STCR (DFs) : Shoot less, dribble more, Roam, Move into channels.

Higly structured : I think its the best choise for my players (defenders not good in attack and attackers not good in defence. High work rate to all though) and the "defence first" style i like. The fact that more attacking players wont help in defence with this fluidity wont happen here because of the roles in MRLs AMC and ST.

Attacking : I am doing the opposite of Cleon. Many defensive roles with attacking mentallity than attacking roles with defensive mentalllity.

More Direct passing : Because of many defensive roles i dont want to be toothless. (When i score one or two i change to Retain Possesion and Shorter Passing)

Pass into space : To encourage forward runs of my defensive roles.

Work ball into box

Play out of defence : hate hoof the ball.

Play Narrower : to limit a little the width of the attacking mentallity for defence purposes.

Push higher : Had huge frustration with any deep philosophy i tried. Some how opponent finds the way to score against you if you give him the ball.

Close down more : this goes as a pair with push higher.

Stay on feet : I dont want them to do silly and harsh tackles.

Lower tempo : Because i feel Attacking mentality will lead them to be much more quicker than i want.

And finally i am using "Attacking movement" for match preparation because i wont have many opportunities up front.

So far, 13 matches, 20 scored, 4 conceeded. I was slight or heavy favorite to most of them though.

What i seek is a solid tactic to start from and rely on my attackers flair for scoring.

I tried various things, including what has been posted here, but so far it just looks to be hit-and-miss (well, more likely miss, especially with scores like 3-0, 2-4, 4-4, 0-0, 5-1 and so on). Can anyone actually post a defensively solid base tactic in here somewhere ?

I tried various things, including what has been posted here, but so far it just looks to be hit-and-miss (well, more likely miss, especially with scores like 3-0, 2-4, 4-4, 0-0, 5-1 and so on). Can anyone actually post a defensively solid base tactic in here somewhere ?

The fact that you are asking this question clearly highlights your failure to grasp what the thread is about. And no no-one will be posting a tactic for you this isn't what this forum is for, its a discussion forum.

The fact that you are asking this question clearly highlights your failure to grasp what the thread is about. And no no-one will be posting a tactic for you this isn't what this forum is for, its a discussion forum.

Have you had any success implementing your ideas in FM15?

Cos as I say in my earlier post I did it with success in FM14 (save in the few games I went behind when I couldnt equalise and had to totally alter my set up to get anything) but I cant for the life of me get them to work for FM15.

Yes I have had the same success nothings changed. It will still be the same in FM16, 17, 18 and so on. The ideas and principles behind it will work regardless of what version we play because they are sound, logically built ideas.

Have you had any success implementing your ideas in FM15?

Cos as I say in my earlier post I did it with success in FM14 (save in the few games I went behind when I couldnt equalise and had to totally alter my set up to get anything) but I cant for the life of me get them to work for FM15.

Same here.Attacking players seem to find space and control the ball more easily in a crowded box in FM15 than 14.Also,long shots accuracy is better,wich is a problem for a passive defense.

After reading this delicious thread I had a small try with a 4-5-1 with these basic principles but I wasn't entirely happy with it, as the presence of wingers somehow took away the 'close the shop' effect of the 4-1-2-1-2.

So I searched for similar tactical shapes and stumbled across Uncle Sam's old but still fantastic threads about the brazilian 4-2-2-2 tactic (threads here, here, and here), and decided to give it a shot.

I'm managing Corby in the Skrill North and I am currently employing the following settings:

Fluidity: Very Rigid

Mentality: Defensive

Team Instructions:

Retain Possession

Shorter Passing

Be More Disciplined

Stick To Positions

Play Narrower

Drop Deeper

This is Cleon's setup for his 4-1-2-1-2 and I decided to keep the same settings as they make sense in the 4-2-2-2 as well. In the end the 4-2-2-2 and the 4-1-2-1-2 are very alike as the only major difference is the absence of an attacking midfielder in the former.

In the logic of the very rigid/defensive setup I had to balance the squad for it not to become overly defensive, so the player roles are the following:

GK: Goalkeeper (D)

DR/DL: Complete Wing Back (A)

DCs: Central Defender (D)

DMCR: Defensive Midfielder (D)

DMCL: Regista (S)

MCR: Box-to-Box (S)

MCL: Central Midfielder (A)

STCR: False Nine (S)

STCL: Advanced Forward (A)

There are some roles that I am not fully convinced but after some experiments this was the setup that seemed to work better. From what Cleon showed us, the Trequartista is a key player on his tactic because of his (relative) freedom to play. Since I don't a AMC I tried to distribute that freedom to other players.

As of right now I'm not sure if this tactic can be so prolific as the 4-1-2-1-2 because I have one more player with defensive characteristics that Cleon's, which is the DMCR. That's why the roles in the midfield are still work in progress. There are, although, some alternatives I have considered:

For the DM slots:

#1: Defensive Midfielder (D) and Deep-lying Playmaker (S);

#2: Defensive Midfielder (S) and Deep-lying Playmaker (D);

#3: Regista (S) and Defensive Midfielder (S).

For the CM slots:

#1: Central Midfielder (S) and Central Midfielder (A);

#2: Advanced Playmaker (A) and Central Midfielder (A);

#3: Central Midfielder (A) and Central Midfielder (A).

I feel the need to have all four midfielders in roles that aren't just defensive-minded to make up for the lack of the Trequartista. I could use a Trequartista on a striker role, and I tried it, but what happened was I had only 9 players behind the ball because both him and the Advanced Forward stayed forward, one because it's his job, the other because he has no defensive tasks. So I chose to assign the second forward a False Nine role because it's a role that makes him come deep, has creative freedom and is a part in the defensive process. I also considered a Deep-lying Forward (S) but I feared there wouldn't be enough creativity in the front.

In conclusion, what I'm asking is if this makes any sense and what's the best way to implement the defensive mentality on this tactic, keeping a strong attacking process.

I'm playing a box midfield with your exact role distribution in defensive midfield as well and i have found that, what works best in front of a regista and a defensive midfielder duo is a central midfielder on attack and an advanced playmaker with the instruction to get further forward. the false nine and trequartista is something i have been using since forever because it offers multiple playmaking options and keeps your attack from getting all too predictable.

i however play a high pressure game instead of a defensive game, on control, keeping possession with a short passing game. wing backs on support because i feel they offer more for a possession game than complete wing backs. they push up and down but pass instead of cross. which is exactly what i want with so much attacking prowess in midfield and attack through the middle.

Hi Cleon,

Excellent thread out there. I have the same 4-1DM-2-1-2 formation as yours. But Balanced fluidity and Control Strategy.

----DLF(S)---AF(A)----

---------T(A)---------

---BBM(S)---DLP(S)---

--------HB(D)--------

WB(A)-CD(D)-CD(D)-WB(A)

--------GK-----------

Team Instruction:

Play out of defense

Higher Tempo

Higher D- Line

Offside Trap

Shorter Passing

Work Ball into Box

Initially have Issues with too much space conceded in wide areas, ever since I came across this thread, I DROP the hassle opponent, put "Close Down More" PI for my both CM, immediately i saw the effect, i might not winning the ball back as much as i used to, but the overall defence shape is so much better.

And the attacking trio (unless they are on a bad day), their football just beautiful to watch! I guess the main man will be the T(A), i am playing Januzaj there, am glad that he scored more than 15 goals a season for me!

A quick question btw, any way to stop conceding goals from headers (be it set piece or open play)? Just played an away game against Bayern in semi, stats and match wise we were as good as them, just Lewandoski and Muller posed too much threat in the air! Been thrashed 3-0! 3 goals from headers!

any one got a solid 4-4-2

This is your very last warning, if you continue to spam threads with questions that are nothing to do with the thread or just making silly remarks like you have been then you will be permanently banned the next time it happens. It's got beyond a joke now and you've already had 3 infractions for it.

Hi Cleon,

Excellent thread out there. I have the same 4-1DM-2-1-2 formation as yours. But Balanced fluidity and Control Strategy.

----DLF(S)---AF(A)----

---------T(A)---------

---BBM(S)---DLP(S)---

--------HB(D)--------

WB(A)-CD(D)-CD(D)-WB(A)

--------GK-----------

Team Instruction:

Play out of defense

Higher Tempo

Higher D- Line

Offside Trap

Shorter Passing

Work Ball into Box

Initially have Issues with too much space conceded in wide areas, ever since I came across this thread, I DROP the hassle opponent, put "Close Down More" PI for my both CM, immediately i saw the effect, i might not winning the ball back as much as i used to, but the overall defence shape is so much better.

And the attacking trio (unless they are on a bad day), their football just beautiful to watch! I guess the main man will be the T(A), i am playing Januzaj there, am glad that he scored more than 15 goals a season for me!

A quick question btw, any way to stop conceding goals from headers (be it set piece or open play)? Just played an away game against Bayern in semi, stats and match wise we were as good as them, just Lewandoski and Muller posed too much threat in the air! Been thrashed 3-0! 3 goals from headers!

If they are headers from open play then have a look at who was supplying the cross etc and try and cut them out?

If they are headers from open play then have a look at who was supplying the cross etc and try and cut them out?

Hi Cleon,

In my third season, I try to remove all the TI except "Offside Trap"

Then watch the 1st 10 to 15 mins of games in Full Match, then only proceed to Comprehensive

Just need your opinions on whether am I doing the right few things on below:

1) Against teams that are among the best in terms of pace, I drop my D-Line, drop "Offside Trap". Thought: Hope the space left behind to be exploited is Minimized, but the downside is I have to absorb much pressure

2) When I check on my analysis tab, opponents have many crosses, I switch my both WB(A) to WB(S). Thought: More solid defense without compromise my attacking down the width.

3) If I notice I gotta absorb too much pressure, and my overall team position is too deep, I push the D-Line much higher, plus "Hassle Opponent". Thought: As you mentioned, try to battle them instead, give them some thinking to do in their own defense

4) Add "Shorter Passing" and "Work Ball into Box" if I notice my team is rushing their attack, shoot outside the box etc

5) Add "Higher Tempo" if my passing was intercepted too often. Thought: Reduce the time my players hold onto the ball, thus reduce the chances opponents to hassle me

I've had a lot of people ask about this for FM15, so just thought I'd let you all know, that I am working on another defensive arts project but this time with a totally different formation a flat 3-4-3 to be exact.

I've had a lot of people ask about this for FM15, so just thought I'd let you all know, that I am working on another defensive arts project but this time with a totally different formation a flat 3-4-3 to be exact.

Inspiration from pep's Bayern by any chance?

Was reading about his 3-4-3 defensive set up allowing him to be fluidly attacking on an article somewhere this afternoon. >_>

This is a great post, a lot of information that doesn't need rehashing by others including me ;-). So much people can forget when setting up a defensive platform, reading this will help others set things up right. Aw feels like the old days you do a topic i do a different topic and we get a book ;-)

This is a great post, a lot of information that doesn't need rehashing by others including me ;-). So much people can forget when setting up a defensive platform, reading this will help others set things up right. Aw feels like the old days you do a topic i do a different topic and we get a book ;-)

haha yeah I thought that the other day actually :D

It's so easy to play defensive football in one off games but much harder to use it as a main strategy but some of the football is beautiful, passing teams to death then hitting them with devastating counter attacks is great to see :D

As for the question earlier on the last page, it is slightly based on Pep from earlier in the season yeah :)

Any chance you could share that article?
Brilliant! Thanks!

Wow! The formation is something I have been trying to get working again since FM12 or 13 (can't remember which). Back then I used Andre Ayew as a libero(a) with two defensive wingers, a BWM and DLP and three strikers (well, one was a treq but in the striker spot). Worked a treat and I think this is an evolution from there.

How are you guys setting it up?

Wow! The formation is something I have been trying to get working again since FM12 or 13 (can't remember which). Back then I used Andre Ayew as a libero(a) with two defensive wingers, a BWM and DLP and three strikers (well, one was a treq but in the striker spot). Worked a treat and I think this is an evolution from there.

How are you guys setting it up?

I'm not, I just read a lot about formations recently. It's Cleon's fault in fact, you see, before I use to just enjoy clicking through FM winning everything with a boring 4-4-2 or 4-3-3 but now, cos of Cleon's constant informative posts I don't play FM anymore. I can't decide upon a formation I'd like to use. ;)

Nah, honestly I haven't set up a 3-4-3 I was just reading about it.

• 2 weeks later...

I recently started experimenting with a "Defensive" mentality, having previously largely ignored it due to the name and in-game description which put me off using it.

This is what my Board thinks of me playing so-called Defensively:

2a95w5z.png

In 14 competitive matches, I have won 14, scored 41 and conceded just 1 whilst averaging almost 65% possession. I've also (for the first time ever) attained the Parked the Tank achievement - ie., not conceding in 10 matches.

The lesson I have taken from this, is don't believe what it says on the tin.

Good inspiration Cleon.

Archived