Really needs to be better feedback on "squad gelling"

In my first year coaching a team in the Portuguese Second League, we finished 8th out of 22. Due to players' contracts expiring and wage budget constraints, I let go nearly the entire starting 11. I brought in new players for the next season, nearly all of which are actually better than the players they replaced.

I'm using the same tactics as last season that saw us finish 20-8-14, yet we've started this season 5-4-8 and sit in 19th with me in danger of being sacked. And I can't figure out WHY. The completely ambiguous "team hasn't gelled yet" really needs to be more apparent if it is the cause. My "Squad Harmony" in Board Confidence is very high, so I'm not sure what the hell that even means.

There needs to be actual measurable feedback in the game if your squad hasn't gelled yet, or is still getting to know your play style. It's obviously not tactical familiarity, since this is Classic. I'd have a hard time believing it's my tactics if it saw me through to 8th just last season.

I'd have a hard time believing it's my tactics if it saw me through to 8th just last season.

Never underestimate the impact of your team reputation increasing.

Where were you predicted to finish, when you finished eighth?

If you overachieved, your rep may have been boosted, and so other teams may be playing more cautiously against you.

I'm not convinced that squad gelling is much of a factor at all in FMC.

I regularly make wholesale changes from season to season, and see limited impact to my teams' fortunes.

In my current season we are performing "worse" with the same tactics, but I put that down to the fact that I have replaced established stars, with newgens with potential, who are 10+ years younger.

I think last year we were expected to finish 7th, and perhaps this year's expectations have risen a bit, but I'm far from the conversation of a league title. Your statement on making sweeping changes year to year without detriment is interesting. I'll just have to reevaluate things I guess.

I was wondering about something that's related to this question. In the past few weeks, I've brought in some new players and given them spots in the first team. They're better than the players they replaced, and I'm wondering how long it might take for them to settle in.

Right now, we're playing worse, especially when it comes to scoring goals, despite the fact our new guys seem to be an upgrade offensively.

Archived