Sports Interactive Community
PMLF

World Cup squads

It's been confirmed by Costa Rica's manager that Bryan Oviedo will miss the World Cup as he isn't recovering quick enough.

I don't think we needed Costa Rica's coach to confirm that tbf :D. His injury was horrific and it would have defied science/medicine for him to recover from a double leg break in six months.

I don't think we needed Costa Rica's coach to confirm that tbf :D. His injury was horrific and it would have defied science/medicine for him to recover from a double leg break in six months.

There was still hope (even if silly hope) that he could be able to play the World Cup.

Bryan Oviedo also posted on twitter about this:

"I just got the news. I gave my best, but I can not be at the World Cup. I know my team are going to do a great job. Thanks for the support!"

Rumours around that Cole has been left out of the England squad and rejected stand by list.

MailOnline Sport @MailSport

England's probable World Cup squad:

Goalkeepers

Hart, Foster, Forster

Defenders

Johnson, Cahill, Jagielka, Jones, Smalling, Baines, Shaw

Midfielders

Gerrard, Henderson, Lampard, Wilshere, Lallana, Sterling, Milner, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Barkley

Strikers

Rooney, Sturridge, Welbeck, Lambert

Unsurprisingly, looks pretty average, although I think they will advance to the playoffs (alongside Italy).

Surprised Jones is going. Even disregarding his injury, he has not been in good form recently. Davies seems like he would have been a much better choice, but I guess Hodgson isn't allowed to pick players from the lower half of the table.

Rumours around that Cole has been left out of the England squad and rejected stand by list.

He's just confirmed it and announced his retirement from internationals on Twitter

That's a shame, this is going to be a pretty rubbish World Cup without so many players like him, Ibra, the injured ones, etc..

Unsurprisingly, looks pretty average, although I think they will advance to the playoffs (alongside Italy).

It is rather average, however, there's some good young players in there. Reasonable amount of optimism for the future.

It is rather average, however, there's some good young players in there. Reasonable amount of optimism for the future.

I hope so, a strong England would be good for international football, just like a strong Spain is.

That's a shame, this is going to be a pretty rubbish World Cup without so many players like him, Ibra, the injured ones, etc..

No it isn't. He doesn't play and Shaw is a major, major talent. Thank god England have learnt that holding on to nostalgic feelings about their ''golden oldies'' is a recipe for disaster

No it isn't. He doesn't play and Shaw is a major, major talent. Thank god England have learnt that holding on to nostalgic feelings about their ''golden oldies'' is a recipe for disaster

Sweet, so this is a recipe for success :)

Gutted about Ashley Cole :( And I'm disagreeing with Roy again

ATM Cole > Shaw and Baines I don't care what anyone says

Surprised Jones is going. Even disregarding his injury, he has not been in good form recently. Davies seems like he would have been a much better choice, but I guess Hodgson isn't allowed to pick players from the lower half of the table.

Why?

No back up RB, no defensive midfielder, can also play CB. Perfect utility player, what you need in a 23 man squad.

Being a 'major, major' talent doesn't automatically equate to having a successful tournament (either on a personal level for the player or for the team) and frankly, Shaw's not even going to be first choice so it's a ****ing pointless pick anyway.

Why?

No back up RB, no defensive midfielder, can also play CB. Perfect utility player, what you need in a 23 man squad.

You don't need another defensive midfielder or right back. You need a good central defender in case Cahill or Jagielka get injured. Smalling does everything Jones does, and isn't coming off an injury. You certainly don't need Jones and Smalling in the same squad, since neither of them do anything particularly well.

Being a 'major, major' talent doesn't automatically equate to having a successful tournament (either on a personal level for the player or for the team) and frankly, Shaw's not even going to be first choice so it's a ****ing pointless pick anyway.

Well how do we know that Cole will have a successful WC? We don't. But, what can players actually do if they are constantly shoved aside so somebody from the golden generation can just fit in. He plays at a good club ffs.

Baptista, basing that on what? His game against Madrid where Chelsea defended for their lives? You don't have many other games to judge his current ability on..

Cole has performed at every major tournament and major final.

Cole has performed at every major tournament and major final.

Should call him up to euro 2020 as well then

Well how do we know that Cole will have a successful WC? We don't. But, what can players actually do if they are constantly shoved aside so somebody from the golden generation can just fit in. He plays at a good club ffs.

Baptista, basing that on what? His game against Madrid where Chelsea defended for their lives? You don't have many other games to judge his current ability on..

Erm, because he's consistently proved it over a lengthy period of time? Funny you mention the Madrid game because that would be a prime example of why he'd actually be perfect for the England squad.

Erm, because he's consistently proved it over a lengthy period of time? Funny you mention the Madrid game because that would be a prime example of why he'd actually be perfect for the England squad.

The Madrid game where Chelsea had every man behind the ball? Most lower league clubs would look good if they did the same.

Also, this length of time has been cut short this season - he doesn't even play. He was a world class LB, nobody would ever doubt that. But there's a time when you need to move on and it's good that Hodgson hasn't picked somebody on sentiment or reputation.

Should call him up to euro 2020 as well then

Would for Euro 2016. I have no doubt he'll still be at the top of his game come then if he's got the motivation to play at a high level now he's announced his retirement.

You mean because England will play some free-flowing, attacking football against Italy and Uruguay? Ok.

By the sentiment logic (or whatever the 'logic' is), Baines should be binned come the next WC then?

Will have to wait until he's played a couple of matches to find out.

You mean because England will play some free-flowing, attacking football against Italy and Uruguay? Ok.

By the sentiment logic (or whatever the 'logic' is), Baines should be binned come the next WC then?

Think I got the wrong word :D I.DO.APOLOGISE.

If Baines is playing on a regular basis and performing, then he should go providing there is other players who are better.

Will have to wait until he's played a couple of matches to find out.

Couple of matches and it will be too late, England will already be out of the WC.

Couple of matches and it will be too late, England will already be out of the WC.

So we won't win the World Cup now that Ashley cole isn't playing?!?!?

So we won't win the World Cup now that Ashley cole isn't playing?!?!?

Where did he say that?

He took what I said entirely out of context so I chose to do the same

I hope so, a strong England would be good for international football, just like a strong Spain is.

England have been rubbish for as long as I can remember and can't see that change anytime soon.

England have been rubbish for as long as I can remember and can't see that change anytime soon.

If they invest money and time, they can, just like Spain and Germany could.

How much more billions would they need to spend - there's also a thing with attitude.

Then again, somehow Spain managed to get things going, and Holland four years ago as well... we've all choked at the big stages, guess that has kind of changed - especially for Spain

England squad is poor if that is the actual squad.

Should've taken a gamble on a decent RB instead of having 7 "defenders" (Smalling and Jones hahahaha, would've been better off taking Lescott who's played about 10 games all season) :lol: No reason why Clyne couldn't have gone, surely a future RB for England anyway? Better option than Glen Johnson, that's for sure.

Where's Gareth Barry? Or has Hodgson learned from the Dim Sherwood school of thought that defensive midfielders do not exist...?

Yea but does Hodgson rate Clyne at all? Flanagan isn't as good but I bet he's ahead in Hodgson's RB pecking order.

I don't want to get you all excited but the last time Everton's left back was first choice in the England World Cup squad, they won the damn thing. :D

Previous tournaments have proven you don't need 8 defenders. Some of them won't play at all.

Russia have announced their provisional 30 man squad.

GK: Akinfeev (CSKA), Lodygin (Zenit), Ryzhikov (Rubin)

DEF: Berezeutski (CSKA), Berezeutski (CSKA), Ignashevich (CSKA), Schennikov (CSKA), Anyukov (Zenit), Kozlov (Dinamo), Eschenko (Anzhi), Kombarov (Spartak), Semenov (Terek), Granat (Dinamo)

MID: Shirokov (Krasnodar - on loan from Zenit), Glushakov (Spartak), Denisov (Dinamo), Faizulin (Zenit), Zhirkov (Dinamo), Dzagoev (CSKA), Shatov (Zenit), Gazinski (Krasnodar), Mogilevets (Rubin - on loan from Zenit)

ATT: Kerzhakov (Zenit), Kokorin (Dinamo), Dzyuba (Rostov - on loan from Spartak), Pogrebnyak (Reading), Bystrov (Anzhi), Ionov (Dinamo), Samedov (Lokomotiv), Kannunikov (Amkar)

Interesting that the vast majority of their team play for a domestic club.

I wish Brazil was the same, lucky Russians.

Japanese squad:

Eiji Kawashima (Standard Liege), Shusaku Nishikawa (Urawa Reds), Shuichi Gonda (FC Tokyo), Masato Morishige (FC Tokyo), Yasuyuki Konno (Gamba Osaka), Yuto Nagatomo (Inter Milan), Maya Yoshida (Southampton), Masahiko Inoha (Jubilo Iwata), Atsuto Uchida (Schalke 04), Hiroki Sakai (Hannover 96), Gotoku Sakai (VfB Stuttgart), Yasuhito Endo (Gamba Osaka), Keisuke Honda (AC Milan), Shinji Kagawa (Manchester United), Makoto Hasebe (FC Nuremberg), Hiroshi Kiyotake (FC Nuremberg), Hotaru Yamaguchi (Cerezo Osaka), Toshihiro Aoyama (Sanfrecce Hiroshima), Manabu Saito (Yokohama F Marinos), Shinji Okazaki (Mainz), Yoichiro Kakitani (Cerezo Osaka), Yuya Osako (TSV Munich 1860), Yoshito Okubo (Kawasaki Frontale)

I thought it was quite funny reading through the list and seeing all the domestic clubs and then up pops 'Reading'. :D

The Japanese squad is really good. They also gave us a beating a few months ago (iirc they also gave Holland a seriously hard time). Kagawa plays a lot better for Japan than he does for Man Utd. I reckon they could be one of the surprises.

Colombia, Greece, Ivory Coast group means they could well get through too

There's a big surprise about Pogrebnyak being included. Mogilevets has only ever played 10 senior games, all since Xmas, so probably won't make the cut either. Gazinski is another surprise uncapped inclusion.

Arshavin hasn't featured for Russia throughout the whole qualifying campaign, but isn't technically retired.

For Japan, is Havenaar injured? What happened to him? And is Pavlyuchenko hiding somewhere?

Colombia, Greece, Ivory Coast group means they could well get through too

I do rate Colombia, but Japan could finish 2nd, although I wouldn't underestimate Ivory Coast either. And Greece. You never know about Greece.

Ecuador have announced 24 men

Keepers: Maximo Banguera (Barcelona, Ecuador), Adrian Bone (El Nacional), Alexander Dominguez (Liga de Quito)

Verdedigers: Gabriel Achilier (Emelec), Walter Ayovi (Pachuca), Oscar Bagui (Emelec), Frickson Erazo (Flamengo), Jorge Guagua (Emelec), Juan Carlos Paredes (Barcelona, Ecuador), Cristian Ramirez (Fortuna Duesseldorf)

Middenvelders: Segundo Castillo (Al Hilal), Carlos Gruezo (Stuttgart), Renato Ibarra (Vitesse Arnhem), Fidel Martinez (Tijuana), Cristian Noboa (Dynamo Moscow), Pedro Quinonez (Emelec), Luis Saritama (Barcelona, Ecuador), Antonio Valencia (Manchester United)

Aanvallers: Jaime Ayovi (Tijuana), Felipe Caicedo (Al-Jazira), Jefferson Montero (Morelia), Joao Rojas (Cruz Azul), Enner Valencia (Pachuca), Armando Wila (Universidad Catolica)

I do rate Colombia, but Japan could finish 2nd, although I wouldn't underestimate Ivory Coast either. And Greece. You never know about Greece.

Could be teams taking points off each, couple of draws. Never know