World Cup squads

PMLF

He makes all sense as:

1) He is versatile

2) Scolari knows him well as they worked together at Palmeiras.

Yeah, he does what Ricardo Costa does for Portugal:

Can play in 4 positions. Centre-back, right-back, left-back, bench. But is only good in the last one.

• Replies 552
  • Created
  • Last Reply
wonder what kind of 2nd string squad Brazil could put together

Diego Alves

Rafinha, Alex?, Miranda, F Luis

Lucas, Fernando

Lucas M, Ronaldinho, Coutinho

uh, Pato? Jonas?

Jonas? Do not rate at all

PMLF - how has Hulk gone down? I know he isn't a massive name in Brazil but I rate him. He's a player of great industry (much like Ramires)

That Brazil team is the worse I've seen in my life time for the 'wow' factor, saying that they have some players in there with top work rates and skill which is a fantastic double quality in todays football even though it may lack that sparkle of the previous squads.

as someone who doesn't follow Brazil, Jo seems a big surprise, wasn't he basically a flop in England? and looking at his wiki stats, he doesn't seem to have set the world alight since leaving

as someone who doesn't follow Brazil, Jo seems a big surprise, wasn't he basically a flop in England? and looking at his wiki stats, he doesn't seem to have set the world alight since leaving

He played well for Atlético Mineiro last year. He was the topgoalscorer of Copa Libertadores and scored 2 goals in Confederations Cup 2013. In 2014, he didn't played well.

That Brazil team is pretty strong imo. Not too flashy but efficient

Yeah very good team. Only I'm kinda missing is one of those good old-fashioned Brazilian superstar players.

I mean Neymar's pretty promising. But no real Romario's, Ronaldo's, Rivaldo's, Ronaldinho's or Roberto Carlos in there.

Jonas? Do not rate at all

PMLF - how has Hulk gone down? I know he isn't a massive name in Brazil but I rate him. He's a player of great industry (much like Ramires)

He is not that popular among Brazilian fans but he has been a starter since Mano Menezes was the manager, so not a surprise he is in the squad, he is actually even a starter.

Yeah very good team. Only I'm kinda missing is one of those good old-fashioned Brazilian superstar players.

I mean Neymar's pretty promising. But no real Romario's, Ronaldo's, Rivaldo's, Ronaldinho's or Roberto Carlos in there.

I don't think it's very good, but it's certainly has been efficient and solid, despite lack of stars and despite the fact players like Júlio César, Daniel Alves, David Luiz and Marcelo aren't reliable.

I think Brazil will reach the semis at least, then will probably face some stronger team and will not be able to handle the pressure.

EDIT: But referees will certainly help Brazil a lot.

The Australian list is odd, both Schwarzer and Neill have retired.

I suppose there are mistakes in some other teams too, but they seem to have chosen players that are more easily identifiable.

Is that really how you say Pepe ( Portugal). The voice basically says 'Pep' :/

The Portuguese here can confirm but sounds right.

In Brazil the pronunciation is a bit different though (more like 'peh-pee).

But why Neymar?! He'll flop in the World Cup.

Hernanes would be a better choice.

Because Neymar is by far the biggest name in Brazil's squad.

By the way, I think it's not wise that some countries already announce their 23-man squad. Every manager has enough time to do more research, to consider everything, and to meditate.

I can understand that not so many Honduras players play abroad. It's then easier for the manager to do research and considerations.

But Brazil? Scolari has a big pool. Why not attend more games, like the Europa League final or the Champions League one? Assemble 30, invite them to a one-day training session or two, and then decide.

Neymar's a pretty straight-forward name though. Only the final R (and sometimes the E) is pronounced different in other languages.

Yes, but who cares about the other players?

By the way, I think it's not wise that some countries already announce their 23-man squad. Every manager has enough time to do more research, to consider everything, and to meditate.

I can understand that not so many Honduras players play abroad. It's then easier for the manager to do research and considerations.

But Brazil? Scolari has a big pool. Why not attend more games, like the Europa League final or the Champions League one? Assemble 30, invite them to a one-day training session or two, and then decide.

He did attend games in Brazil and some in Europe, but what you say would have to be done ideally before the Confederations Cup, otherwise it would be too late to get the team ready for the World Cup.

And while we have a big pool of players, many of them are very average.

Seeing all the squads coming in is making me more and more excited for the world cup.

As the season comes to a close and the squads are announced I am also getting excited for it.

God knows how I would feel if Scotland ever managed to qualify for it again. :) '98 seems so long ago.

Ahh well at least this way I just have to support Italy, Uruguay and Costa Rica. :D

Seeing all the squads coming in is making me more and more excited for the world cup.

Same...got my 442 guide yesterday, sorted out the department sweepstake today, began checking out the squads etc. The 3 or 4 weeks of build up to a world cup is a proper nostalgia and stats-fest for footy fans...love every day in the build up to it.

After all squads are called up, someone should make a list of squads with players that didn't get called up.

Brazil would have Diego Alves, Miranda, Dedé, Filipe, Sandro, etc...

Mexico's rumored squad:

Goleiros: Guillermo Ochoa, Jesús Corona e Alfredo Talavera.

Defensores: Paul Aguilar, Miguel Layún, Diego Reyes, Rafael Márquez, Hugo Ayala, Héctor Moreno, Carlos Salcido e Andrés Guardado.

Meias: Juan Carlos Medina, José Juan Vázquez, Isaac Brizuela, Luis Montes, Carlos Peña, Marco Fabián e Héctor Herrera.

Atacantes: Raúl Jiménez, Alan Pulido, Javier Hernández, Giovani dos Santos e Oribe Peralta.

The list leaked and was posted by TV Azteca, so it's not really official yet.

• SI Staff
Louis van Gaal called up twenty players from Eredivisie for a training camp. These players still make a chance at the selection, players from foreign competitions will join later.

Selectie

Doel: Jasper Cillessen (Ajax), Kenneth Vermeer (Ajax), Jeroen Zoet (PSV).

Defensie: Daley Blind (Ajax), Daryl Janmaat (Feyenoord), Terence Kongolo (Feyenoord), Bruno Martins Indi (Feyenoord), Karim Rekik (PSV).

Middenveld: Jordy Clasie (Feyenoord), Davy Klaassen (Ajax), Tonny Vilhena (Feyenoord), Joël Veltman (Ajax), Stefan de Vrij (Feyenoord), Georginio Wijnaldum (PSV).

Aanval: Jean-Paul Boëtius (Feyenoord), Luc Castaignos (FC Twente), Memphis Depay (PSV), Jürgen Locadia (PSV), Luciano Narsingh (PSV), Quincy Promes (FC Twente).

Locadia (no idea what he is doing here) - replaced by Marco van Ginkel.

• SI Staff

South Korea

Doel: Sung-ryeong Jung (Suwon Bluewings), Seung-gyu Kim (Ulsan Horang-i), Bom-young Lee (Busan I'Park)

Defensie: Jin-soo Kim (Albirex Niigata), Suk-young Yun (Queens Park Rangers), Young-kwon Kim (Guangzhou Evergrande), Seok-ho Hwang (Sanfrecce Hiroshima), Jeong-ho Hong (Augsburg), Tae-hwi Kwak (Al Hilal), Yong Lee (Ulsan Horang-i), Chang-soo Kim (Kashiwa Reysol).

Middenveld: Seung-yeung Ki (Sunderland), Dae-sung Ha (Beijing Guoan), Kook-young Han (Kashiwa Reysol), Jung-woo Park (Guangzhou R&F), Heung-min Son (Bayer Leverkusen), Bo-kyoung Kim (Cardiff City), Chung-yong Lee (Bolton Wanderers), Dong-won Ji (Augusburg).

Aanval: Ja-cheol Koo (Mainz), Keun-ho Lee (Sangju Sangmu), Chu-young Park (Watford) en Shin-wook Kim (Ulsan Horang-i).

• SI Staff
you reckon MvG will go to the World Cup?

I doubt it. It's a real shame he had the injury, it would have been clear if he was ready for it or not. He has the potential, but since he's hardly played it would be a surprise. We can do with a few players in the aMC position but there are options (Sneijder, Van der Vaart, Fer, Wijnaldum and even Klaassen and Vilhena)

South Korea

Doel: Sung-ryeong Jung (Suwon Bluewings), Seung-gyu Kim (Ulsan Horang-i), Bom-young Lee (Busan I'Park)

Defensie: Jin-soo Kim (Albirex Niigata), Suk-young Yun (Queens Park Rangers), Young-kwon Kim (Guangzhou Evergrande), Seok-ho Hwang (Sanfrecce Hiroshima), Jeong-ho Hong (Augsburg), Tae-hwi Kwak (Al Hilal), Yong Lee (Ulsan Horang-i), Chang-soo Kim (Kashiwa Reysol).

Middenveld: Seung-yeung Ki (Sunderland), Dae-sung Ha (Beijing Guoan), Kook-young Han (Kashiwa Reysol), Jung-woo Park (Guangzhou R&F), Heung-min Son (Bayer Leverkusen), Bo-kyoung Kim (Cardiff City), Chung-yong Lee (Bolton Wanderers), Dong-won Ji (Augusburg).

Aanval: Ja-cheol Koo (Mainz), Keun-ho Lee (Sangju Sangmu), Chu-young Park (Watford) en Shin-wook Kim (Ulsan Horang-i).

Park Chu-young!

Strongest Brazil squad since 2002 imo. Don't underestimate them.

Germany:

Manuel Neuer, Roman Weidenfeller and Ron-Robert Zieler.

Durm, Boateng, Grosskreutz, Höwedes, Hummels, Jansen, Lahm, Mertesacker, Mustafi, Schmelzer.

Lars Bender, Schweinsteiger, Draxler, Ginter, Goretzka, Götze, Hahn, Khedira, Kroos, Meyer, Thomas Müller, Ozil, Reus.

Podolski, Schurrle, Klose, Volland.

Strong.

Quite pleased with that squad, even if there are too many Hamburg players. Also surprised by a lack of ter Stegen and a bit disappointed with no Max Kruse, although Volland has had an excellent season.

Strongest Brazil squad since 2002 imo. Don't underestimate them.

Germany:

Manuel Neuer, Roman Weidenfeller and Ron-Robert Zieler.

Durm, Boateng, Grosskreutz, Höwedes, Hummels, Jansen, Lahm, Mertesacker, Mustafi, Schmelzer.

Lars Bender, Schweinsteiger, Draxler, Ginter, Goretzka, Götze, Hahn, Khedira, Kroos, Meyer, Thomas Müller, Ozil, Reus.

Podolski, Schurrle, Klose, Volland.

Strong.

Lacking in the striker department but Germany is lacking there regardless.

I'd cut Jansen, Mustafi, Draxler, Goretzka, Meyer, Hahn and Podolski. Also, there is no way Zieler should be in that side. He's not even the 6th best keeper. Made around 6 goal keeping errors this season just behind Adler. Both have had poor seasons.

Squad v Poland looks amazing. Full of young talents because he's taken in account the DFB Pokal final so no BVB or Bayern players.

Is Weidenfeller rated highly in Germany then? He's never really impressed me...

Yes. 2nd best keeper in the league and heaps of experience. Great keeper but only short term. He'll be surpassed by Ter Stegen, Leno and co. by the next World Cup. Deserves to be 2nd choice.

No Sven Bender?

Doubtful even for the DFB Pokal final. Not sure Löw would take both Bender twins. I wouldn't. Very similar players.

Archived