Going back to old FM's

Anyway - I generally don't like a lot of the UI changes in FM13 and FM14

Totally agree, that is what as put me off the past 2 FM's and why I switched back to FM11.

From the matchday screens, to the information screesn/layout.. I really prefer the FM11/FM12 layout, miles more than the FM13/14 layout. (more like the FM we know and love)

I'm strongly thinking about going back to FM 2012. The drastic & brutal form dips are ruining the game for me in FM 2014. No matter what tactics I use, no matter what team I play as it is simply inevitable that I will hit at least one appalling patch of form for no reason each and every season. The stupid thing is I'm pretty good at creating sensible, effective tactics, but even if I win 10 in a row, there's always the chance that I'll lose or draw the next 6 or 7 due to the "form punishment switch" flicking on. I don't remember having to scrap my tactics twice a season in FM 2012, so I am very tempted to go back.

If people want to go back to older FMs, that's fine. I tried FM12 and FM13 recently just to see what the fuss is about. I won't be going back.

I have a problem with people spreading falsehoods as gospel. There's no "form punishment switch".

I couldnt go back, endless winning streaks, outdated squads, and UI and tactical set up, ME holes im now aware of and would spend more time trying to avoid than enjoying the game.

Personally i love the dips in form that FM14 offers, to me its far more realistic than going 3 seasons without losing in the league.

I almost never lose in FM14. Less than in FM13 actually. I don't know if it's because I play the game in a simpler way than some of the people here.. I don't change things over and over nor do I make adjustments before every match, but I really don't find any differences in difficulty since FM10.

I'm really getting fed up with this game. Having won 7 in a row I played away at Swansea and had 57% possession. I know possession doesn't win games, but I was playing patiently and finished the game with 6 shots. All six shots were clear cut chances, as clear cut as they come. One even involved my striker (18 fin, 14 comp) taking the ball past the keeper and hitting the bar from a few yards out. Having squandered 5 sitters, I was 1-0 up and possession meant Swansea weren't getting a look in. Highlights then cut to my wing back in the 92nd min getting dispossessed by their winger who crosses- my centre back then steps over the ball and Bony passes into the net from 6 yards. 1-1.

If a top prem club are lucky enough to be one-on-one with the keeper 6 times in real life, I would imagine they would score at least 3. I feel like I've worked so hard to develop tactics that enable me to create really good chances, but can't put the ball in the net. While I'm slaving away trying to create as many chances as possible, the opposition always seem to profit regularly from a defensive error, or a jammy own goal that seems seems to defy the laws of physics. Rather than making it really hard to score when in front of goal, shouldn't FM make it harder to get into easy scoring positions? It feels like a lottery whether I score or not, despite having an unbelievable striker, completely undermining my tactical development. On previous versions I definitely got more reward for designing tactics that got the success they deserved, or punished if they were lacklustre. Fed up!

Skipped FM 14. Still happy with `13 and once in a while `08. First time in years I skipped a release. Unless Steam will be running a 60% off sale next weekend, then I'll happily wait and see what '15 might bring to the table.

i skipped FM14 as i just buy the game every 2 years now, luckily i found a data update that starts you in may 2013 with all the results for the 12-13 season and transfer updates. i'll be buying FM15 hoping that it is a massive improvement on this years.

I bought FM 07 in I think 2007. I'm still playing it and only it (well, and CM 93/94 rarely). I have a career game, my first and only long-term game, so it feels like it's my 'canon' career. I'm finishing year 2030.

I tried FM 2010 but just couldn't get started, it didn't feel right. FM 07 is where my emotional investment is.

i skipped FM14 as i just buy the game every 2 years now, luckily i found a data update that starts you in may 2013 with all the results for the 12-13 season and transfer updates. i'll be buying FM15 hoping that it is a massive improvement on this years.

Could you possibly link or PM me that? I am having issues with 14 and would like to go back to 13 but the only issue is it'd feel weird and dated going back to 2012 squads. I'd greatly appreciate it.

Good thread! I always go back to FM11 even after playing FM12, FM13 and FM14.

Am starting another save on FM11 tonight after being FM-free for a few weeks. The ME is a blast! Particularly on 2D. 3D was fun too!

It's gone. Uninstalled!

Once again on bank hliday weekend I tried a new save on FM14, choosing pick a team at random this time, got AS Varese and fancied the challenge. Couldn't sell anyone (even for free) so couldn't free up the wage bill without spending too much on releasing players. Each press of the Continue button resulted in 1+ injuries occuring, which was more frustrating than you can ever imagine, as it got to the point I knew I would be seeing another injury message. Almost laughable if it wasn't so annoying! Then the friendlies, and the disastrous ME which has taken a massive step backwards. Players started throwing toys out the pram even when receiving justified praise.

Back to FM13, back to normality. Decided enough is enough, Fm14 is now uninstalled. I'll put this version down to a blip.

Feel for SI. The game needs to be realistic, but it also needs to be fun. Realistically, in this current age, being a football manager isn't fun. It isn't easy and players really are a bunch of whinging prima donnas. So in some respects SI have it right. Finding the balance between realism and fun is becoming increasingly difficult.

I'd suggest, given this is a GAME, focus should shift back on the being fun aspect - rather than acting virtually as a second job to many and therefore a chore!!!

I wouldn't go back to 13 personally. FM14 in the final state is fine for me and I'm highly enjoying it. Of course I do expect improvements next season, mainly in the explanatory texts for tactics etc

*Btw may I mention that I have no issues selling players at all? I think it has to do with how many leagues you've loaded. More leagues = more teams that actually need players!

Excellent thread ... I have played this dang game since its very first release in the early 90s (remember the green box?) ... those Saturdays spent sitting watching the results slowly scroll up the the screen took hours and hours to play, but man it was fun ... I have bought EVERY version since I first got hooked, but I stopped at FM12 (because of steam, I'm not a fan) ... FM12 is probably the best version, with FM11 close behind ... today I was thinking about going back to an earlier version just for the hell of it, maybe something like CM02, and I found this thread ... I can absolutely understand the frustrations of everyone at the lack of improvement, but it was to be expected ... for me, what I'd really like to see is every club having it's stadium replicated in the game rather than the generic ones we see, that would be amazing and really crank the game up, and also club songs and chants being included as well

I couldnt go back, endless winning streaks, outdated squads...

I read the rest of what you said but this got me

I always start as unemployed or a non-league manager to work my way up.

I don't usually take over a top tier club until about 15 seasons in. Even if approached, I'll go 15 seasons with lower league clubs.

I am in 2074 in FM12 and am Liverpool manager but I am retiring at the end of this season and starting as a new manager.

I find this fair more challenging than starting with an established team.

i havent posted here for a while, or played an FM game since 2012, at the time i went back to cm01/02 (thanks to a site out there that keeps the game updated every season) but now i have got a new pc and the old cm doesnt work so well for me...

so im considering buying 2014, but after reading this thread i might give it a miss!

i havent posted here for a while, or played an FM game since 2012, at the time i went back to cm01/02 (thanks to a site out there that keeps the game updated every season) but now i have got a new pc and the old cm doesnt work so well for me...

so im considering buying 2014, but after reading this thread i might give it a miss!

I have posted many complaints about FM14, but the bottom line is I am still playing it. It could be more fun, but it's still well worth the money. I think the game is far more enjoyable if the player tends to pick bigger/richer clubs. Smaller club management is a bit more of a struggle than it has been in the past due to some budget rule changes and general increase in difficulty.

Mate, I'd seriously consider trying it out at a friends house before buying - and I mean several hours - to see if you can handle the difficulty of this year's game. I get that people want the game to be realistic but the brutal dips in form actually make it less realistic as it really doesn't seem likely that teams like Real Madrid and PSG would go on extended runs without a win in their respective leagues (just because the game thinks you're doing too well).

That's what the fanboys can't understand, people struggling with the game don't want to easily win the league with Aston Villa or Swansea - but they DO want to win a realistic amount of games as the top teams and that means winning the majority of (but not necessarily all) games. With great tactics and the best players why on earth shouldn't you be allowed to be successful, but that's where the "game" comes in and tries to make it a challenge when there doesn't need to be one, just for the sake of it. Unfortunately a lot of people won't stand for this viewpoint and will exaggerate the point I'm making by saying I want to win every trophy every year with an average team. That is clearly not the case, but this does need to be tweaked slightly for next year because as things stand I'm sure that even real life managers would be terrible at this game.

Mate, I'd seriously consider trying it out at a friends house before buying - and I mean several hours - to see if you can handle the difficulty of this year's game. I get that people want the game to be realistic but the brutal dips in form actually make it less realistic as it really doesn't seem likely that teams like Real Madrid and PSG would go on extended runs without a win in their respective leagues (just because the game thinks you're doing too well).

That's what the fanboys can't understand, people struggling with the game don't want to easily win the league with Aston Villa or Swansea - but they DO want to win a realistic amount of games as the top teams and that means winning the majority of (but not necessarily all) games. With great tactics and the best players why on earth shouldn't you be allowed to be successful, but that's where the "game" comes in and tries to make it a challenge when there doesn't need to be one, just for the sake of it. Unfortunately a lot of people won't stand for this viewpoint and will exaggerate the point I'm making by saying I want to win every trophy every year with an average team. That is clearly not the case, but this does need to be tweaked slightly for next year because as things stand I'm sure that even real life managers would be terrible at this game.

Way to alienate yourself from other board members there :rolleyes:

***Newsflash***

Those brutal dips in form you talk about are not because "The game thinks you are doing too well" they are because you, as the user fail to deal with the issues!

Well I'm only alienating myself from people who won't have a single bad word said about the game - especially the difficulty. I've previously given well thought out and carefully explained arguments about why the game is flawed - only to be childishly ridiculed by said people, so forgive me if my tolerance for them is quite low.

Regarding your point: I'm afraid I disagree as I'm very experienced at this game and I know a huge amount about dealing with things when they aren't going well, but this year it seems that when it's time to have a massive dip in form there's not much you can do about it until the game randomly decides you've dropped enough points (sorry that's probably an exaggeration, but that's how it feels). There's also an air of inevitability that this will happen at least once pretty much every single season, so it really takes any fun out of the game. That's why for some people going back to the older games seems like the only answer.

I agree with a lot of people saying FM 11 was the best by far, had two great saves in that game. I played 13 for a while after it came out but thought the match engine "improvements" were a step in the wrong direction however i was fairly successful in that game too so maybe i didnt give it much chance. I am currently playing FM 12 and massively enjoying it. Like some others on here i agree that with each new version of the game that is released the enjoyment factor does go down, everything just used to seem a lot less complicated. And also how come on every version of this game is Clinton Morrison white??!!

Well I'm only alienating myself from people who won't have a single bad word said about the game - especially the difficulty.

You'll find most people on the forum have no problem with people giving constructive criticism.

I've previously given well thought out and carefully explained arguments about why the game is flawed - only to be childishly ridiculed by said people, so forgive me if my tolerance for them is quite low.

You seem to be misrepresenting yourself to some degree here. You are listed as making 42 posts in the six years since you joined the forum, some of which have been deleted.

I haven't looked at your posts about the Vita version but your feedback seems to be mostly limited to this thread: http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/388517-FM-2014-is-so-so-difficult?p=9529707#post9529707

Which leads to the following:

Regarding your point: I'm afraid I disagree as I'm very experienced at this game and I know a huge amount about dealing with things when they aren't going well, but this year it seems that when it's time to have a massive dip in form there's not much you can do about it until the game randomly decides you've dropped enough points (sorry that's probably an exaggeration, but that's how it feels). There's also an air of inevitability that this will happen at least once pretty much every single season, so it really takes any fun out of the game. That's why for some people going back to the older games seems like the only answer.

You've stated both above and in the OP of the thread I linked that you are very experienced at FM and know a huge amount about it.

However parts of both posts indicate that this isn't the case, just to pick some out:

A) A drop in form will happen at least once a season - This is to be expected, it happens to 99.9% of teams in the real world every season.

B) Not much you can do when the dip in form happens - There is lots you can do, you can switch around both tactics & players. You can use the media & teamtalks to take the pressure off your team.

C) 4231 with two inside forwards - Terrible tactic never seen in the real world, was an exploit/cheat in previous versions due to lack of collision detection as wwfan pointed out in post 50 of the linked thread.

D) AI sussing out tactics - Myth, never happened on any version of FM.

E) Morale management - Never the big issue that some users made it out to be and as wwfan again pointed out its been toned down even more.

Overall reading between the lines you may have played FM for a number of years but you certainly don't seem to understand it as well as you think you do.

Personally I think you would benefit hugely by clearing your head, start with an open mind and read some of the excellent threads in the tactics forum which can be found here: http://community.sigames.com/forumdisplay.php/18-Tactics-amp-Training-Discussion

Not in the way FM perceives those roles IMO.

In FM it basically has four players attacking the oppositions DC area and focussing on overloading the penalty spot area, especially if the four attacking players are on attack orders. In past versions this has succeeded because of the lack of collision detection meaning the attacking players have free reign to get into scoring positions which has now been nullified.

I can't believe any competent coach IRL would do anything like that aside from perhaps the last few minutes of a match when they just wanted as many bodies in the box as possible to try to get on the end of something.

Matchwinner, the game doesn't "decide" that you've won enough and "make" you lose or draw games. That's a fact. Cleon recently went unbeaten over a season. He almost won all his games too! Where was the game deciding that he's doing too well? The fact that other people can do it, means it's possible. You seem to be struggling, so figure out what to do about it, ask advice or go back to an older, less complicated FM.

You're not going to win every game. Players could be out of form. Players are inconsistent, some more than others, but even Messi has the odd off-day. Then there are your tactics, which may not be as good as you think. Players have confidence and motivation levels too which could affect how the play.

It's your job as manager to manage these things. If you don't, that's your problem. Not every game will go your way and it's your job to get your team out of a slump too. Give them their confidence back if it's lacking. Take pressure off if they're nervy.

Some have gone back to older versions and that's fine, but these ridiculous myths need to stop. Calling people fanboys won't help endear you to anyone. It'll just land you an infraction.

I gave up on 13 and have been playing 12 for what seems like years now, I just find it to be the most enjoyable game of the series. I gave 14 a bit of a go when it first came out but while I was waiting for patches to be released I ended up getting sucked back into my two long-term 12 saves. Going to try 14 again now...

To clear things up, there is no form punishment switch, the game doesn't "make" your team lose because you are in good form etc... My friend (with his own tactic) went before my eyes full season unbeaten. FM 14 is tactically realistic, and hard. But that comes with realism.

Having said that, I went back to FM 12, simply because I want it fun and easy. As user shirajzl in post #47 perfectly explained it, I want a game where I can relax and have fun, and not a game where every match causes my blood pressure to skyrocket. I suck in FM 14, yes, but it's not due to game going against the user.

I love FM13, best one since FM10, which was the best one since FM2007. Maybe by this 3-yearly logic I should wait until FM16..... :confused:

Can't really say "go back", as I've never been with FM14, but FM10 was a bloody marvellous game. Subsequent games didn't manage to have that same "keep playing" feeling. There is too much pointless crap now, from spamming your inbox with scout updates and whatnot.

Unfortunately I can't for the life of me find the FM 10 DVD any more (but I have the box sitting pretty in a shelf), so perhaps it will be gone forever. But CM/FM was great for a number of years, so I'll always have fond memories at least.

Unfortunately I can't for the life of me find the FM 10 DVD any more (but I have the box sitting pretty in a shelf), so perhaps it will be gone forever. But CM/FM was great for a number of years, so I'll always have fond memories at least.

Get the Steam code from the box and you can play!

However, you're the guy who hates Steam with a passion, right? :D

Agree with you anyway, FM10 was amazing! :cool:

Haha, yeah, I won't be installing steam :D

I keep hoping it will show up again somewhere, and now I wonder if it's stuck inside a DVD-ROM that's no longer in use. No idea where it can be, so quite annoying. But perhaps it's for the best, as I put a sick amount of hours into FM10 ;)

I think the Morale does at times go a little bit too far but I agree to an extent as well it's probably more us as the users. My only gripe is that your whole basis of performing well relies on finding a Home tactic, a counter tactic and a tactic that is completely different to the other two incase teams that sit deep and counter do you precisely that. If by magic you stumble across even just 2 out of those 3 tactics being successful you can get some where. I have had relative success with Man Utd, Arsenal, Ajax and Rot Weiss Essen... so the game to me is far from unplayable, But the number of saves I've created definitely now reaches into the hundreds and most have been quit on by the latest 6 games into the season. I just fail to see how Control, Balanced, Shorter passing, retain possession, drill crosses, work ball into box, play out of defence, higher tempo can yield such poor results - it's not as if i'm directly contradicting any law of football manager. teams play like that...but whether I'm Southampton, Newcastle, Sunderland, Everton it doesn't matter - my tactics just don't translate.

The biggest error for me is its virtually impossible to play with wing backs in this version, you are exploited countless number of times with balls down the side - it's just boring. The modern game is all about attacking full backs but thats just not possible on this game which is a shame. Also, the advanced midfield roles (AMR, AML, AMC) are exactly that: too far advanced. Even with slowest tempo when my team have the ball my wingers are pretty much stood next to the opposition full backs. I want them to be advanced as 90% of wingers are in the prem but I just don't think they are set up very well. The MR/ML role I consider is for players like James Milner who aren't the quickest but are reliable and offer protection to the full back.

I guess following what you're seeing in the 3D game just comes more naturally to some on here than others. There is definitely improvements to be made and I'm sure SI are well aware of what those are (personally i would like to see less blatant errors i.e keeper runnning from centre of area to the touchline under no pressure then kicking the ball diagonally across the pitch straight to the opposition striker who whacks it into an empty net). I've spent hours and hours reading the tactics forum and it has helped ever so slightly - but not nearly as much as it seems to have done for others on here.

I'll keep playing it and I'll moan til the cows come home to anyone who'll listen, I'll even solemnly swear I'm not buying FM15...But i'm sure I will. Although considering the deals recently I'll probably wait til Easter time when there's no bugs and it costs about £9 as it's just not worth the £30 at the start I'm afraid.

The biggest error for me is its virtually impossible to play with wing backs in this version, you are exploited countless number of times with balls down the side - it's just boring. The modern game is all about attacking full backs but thats just not possible on this game which is a shame. Also, the advanced midfield roles (AMR, AML, AMC) are exactly that: too far advanced. Even with slowest tempo when my team have the ball my wingers are pretty much stood next to the opposition full backs. I want them to be advanced as 90% of wingers are in the prem but I just don't think they are set up very well. The MR/ML role I consider is for players like James Milner who aren't the quickest but are reliable and offer protection to the full back.

I do wish people would stop throwing opinion around as fact. For most of my save, I've had to play with 3 at the back, using only wingbacks. I've used a strikerless 34120, a 3232, a 3322 and a flat 352. All of them worked so it's perfectly possible to play with wingbacks.

You have a point with AML/AMR and if I'm not mistaken, it is being reviewed and we've already seen the Bundesliga in FM use ML/MR rather. You can still use that position if the player has the attributes for it, so it's not a massive problem.

I'd also like to point out that tempo has nothing to do with where players position themselves. That's down to Mentality, PPMs, Role and Duty. Tempo is how fast your team plays with the ball. Very high and they'll play first touch football. Very low and they'll take a few touches before passing/running/shooting.

I do wish people would stop throwing opinion around as fact. For most of my save, I've had to play with 3 at the back, using only wingbacks. I've used a strikerless 34120, a 3232, a 3322 and a flat 352. All of them worked so it's perfectly possible to play with wingbacks.

You have a point with AML/AMR and if I'm not mistaken, it is being reviewed and we've already seen the Bundesliga in FM use ML/MR rather. You can still use that position if the player has the attributes for it, so it's not a massive problem.

I'd also like to point out that tempo has nothing to do with where players position themselves. That's down to Mentality, PPMs, Role and Duty. Tempo is how fast your team plays with the ball. Very high and they'll play first touch football. Very low and they'll take a few touches before passing/running/shooting.

That's all very well and good for people who like playing 3 at the back but teams IRL play with 2 centre halves and one even sometimes two attacking wing backs and still manage to do well. But overall I think its more failure of the user to be able to interpret where the team is going wrong from watching the match engine in a particular game - some people can see it easily and others can't.

Also, Do you know if SI will be building on the match engine thats currently in play for FM15 or will they be starting from scratch again?

must be having different results. I've just started a Sunderland league, I want to play Counter attacking Very Rigid, with more direct passing, pass into space, clear ball to flanks, drill crosses, exploit the flanks, play narrower, stand off opponents, stay on feet and higher tempo.

---------------------Mannone GK (D)

Vergini FB(S) Brown CD (D) A.N Other CD © Alonso FB (A)

Giacchareni W(s) Ki-Sueng CM (A) Cattermole DLP (D) Johnson W(a)

---------------------------Scocco SS(a)-------------------------

---------------------------Wickham DLF (s) ----------------------

Does this seem reasonable tactics wise?

You're better off posting in the Tactics forum to ask that. I'd question a few things though.

- Two support duties on one flank and two attacking duties on the other won't give you good movement between the lines and players overlapping. Switch your fullback roles or winger roles.

- Your CM/A duty is too attacking, imo. I'd give him a B2B/S at most.

- I'm not 100% sure of all your TIs, but someone with more tactical knowledge can answer you on all of them. Two that caught my attention:

- Isn't Wickham tall and good in the air? I'd float crosses to him rather than drill it, unless you're intend for the crosses to mainly go to someone else?

- How are you finding the tempo you play at? You'd need sharp, technical players if you're going to play at a higher tempo.

That's just what I'd question. It's not a train-wreck of a tactic and it might work for you in a few games, but it could definitely be improved. You should really consider posting in the tactics forum for advice and let guys like llama3 and RTHerringbone look at your tactic.

I only ask because Ive never found Direct passing as a appropriate shout on FM and wanted to spark a debate with anyone who can suggest otherwise... The only reason I have two attacking down one flank is the injury to Bardsley but I've switched it up and swapped roles for the full backs, I originally wanted Scocco to get on the end of quick crosses as I figured he'd be more advanced than Wickham in a support duty by the time the ball came in the box. I wanted tempo high due to the counter strategy but I can see your point about the tempo. I'm going to give it a few games now.

I've had my struggles with Direct passing but, like every tactical decision, watching the tactic in action can help you spot what's wrong. I noticed that I wasn't getting players forward fast enough, so the ball was getting to my striker quickly, but then he had no options. Keeping that in mind, the CM/A might work for a direct game. You'd obviously have to watch that you're not too open defensively in the midfield because your CM/A and SS/A will attack the box, leaving the DLP/D very much alone. For that reason, I'd switch him to a B2B.

I've had my struggles with Direct passing but, like every tactical decision, watching the tactic in action can help you spot what's wrong. I noticed that I wasn't getting players forward fast enough, so the ball was getting to my striker quickly, but then he had no options. Keeping that in mind, the CM/A might work for a direct game. You'd obviously have to watch that you're not too open defensively in the midfield because your CM/A and SS/A will attack the box, leaving the DLP/D very much alone. For that reason, I'd switch him to a B2B.

He has been switched to a B2B... I just find it slightly worrying that SI expect anyone who plays the game to know this much to recognise these issues from an animated game where players can do some very strange things! I think a more comprehensive tutorial to tactics would be of great benefit - Because too many of the instructions are open to interpretation and unless you spend hours studying these forums the games extremely difficult. But never mind - thanks for the info I'll see how it goes.

Part of the thing is: football itself is open to interpretation. Can the basics be better? Absolutely, and you're unlikely to find more vocal advocates than myself and Hunt3r. But people also need to realise the sport is open ended, and therefore any game that really tries to emulate it will be open ended too.

He has been switched to a B2B... I just find it slightly worrying that SI expect anyone who plays the game to know this much to recognise these issues from an animated game where players can do some very strange things! I think a more comprehensive tutorial to tactics would be of great benefit - Because too many of the instructions are open to interpretation and unless you spend hours studying these forums the games extremely difficult. But never mind - thanks for the info I'll see how it goes.

I agree that we something to help people build tactics. Even if it's basic.

It's a little more effort, but just watching one game even on comprehensive would show you that your poor DLP would have been left all alone. You might see the ball getting forward to your striker and you'll see him look for option in front of him, but not find any because the ball went forward too quickly. All these issues you can pick up by watching the game. It's how I do it, because I can't just build a tactic and have it work 100% from the start. There will be some things I change. I think that's realistic, so I don't have a problem with it.

On the Vita, I played 3 friendlies on Comprehensive to see how the tactic does and to make changes. After that, I switched to Extended and it's working well.

I do agree that some instructions are too vague. Team instructions especially. With the sliders gone, the descriptions you're left with aren't enough to know exactly what you're instructing.

Archived