Clubs fighting over managers

Why is it that clubs in the game, never fight over managers?

At the moment, in my game, managing Tottenham, I am ranked as the best manager of all time, above Alex Ferguson, and I have NEVER, in my career, had any clubs come in, wanting to poach me from Tottenham. I remember in an earlier version of either FM, or the old CM games, that some clubs would come in, trying to poach me from my current employer. It never happened since that game, and I miss it.

It added an extra element to the game, and I felt kinda godlike, when clubs started duking it out over my signature.

Would it not be possible to bring that back in the next version of FM?

Besides, it would be nice as well, to see clubs being more aggresive when they REALLY want to sign a player, instead of just spamming the other club with the same bid, over and over. Why not take the fight to the press and even come in with better and better offers, instead of just spamming the same one, over and over.

Again, in an earlier version of FM og the old CM, I had Inter coming for obe of my players. I rejected, and everytime I did, they came back with an even better offer, that finally made my greed take over, and I sold him to them for a crazy amount. Seem to recall it was around £80m or so. The first transfer of Bale proporstions :)

I've won the SPL the past two years, and I'm making significantly less than most of the managers in the SPL, and yet when a job opens up in the SPL or EPL, although I'm sometimes mentioned as a candidate, no one ever makes an offer or inquiry.

And regarding players, when EPL teams come in with multiple offers to poach my prospects, they all offer the exact some terms: x amount up front, x amount over x numbers of months, and even the same bonus for goals. And they never offer a dollar over player value if I haven't set a transfer value, and never a dollar over transfer value if I set a transfer value. I decline, the player gets upset, I tell them no one's bid a value matching the asking price, they say "ok" and get back to work.

Yeah, as it is now, the system seems a tad to copy/paste to me.

But they REALLY need to add more depth to the whole manager thing. My current club pays me a salary that makes me the best paid in the world. Way better paid than any players in the game, and still no one wants me, even when I let my contract near its end. No one has EVER mentioned me as a candidate for any job, nor has any club ever approached me. I would be SO nice, if they would actually start doing that.

Would make your accomælishments mean even more, than just a statistic that none cares about.

I agree with your sentiments, and as someone who primarily tries to play realistic journeyman type saves, it would be nice to have more bigger clubs come in for your services when you've performed above expectations with a smaller team, for example. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but at times I feel like I have to be the one to initiate a move to a bigger club moreso than have some clubs knocking at your door.

After not paying much attention to any of the contracts I've signed as a manager on FM14, quite often the contract will contain a compensation clause that other clubs will have to pay if they wish to hire you. Quite often if I've applied for a new job while still employed, 8 times out of 10 the team you've applied for may say they're unwilling to pay the compensation required to buy you out of your existing contract. Perhaps removing this clause from your contract may help attract more interview offers? Purely a theory that I haven't tested out myself yet. I don't remember contract compensation to your previous employers being part of older Football Manager games, but don't quote me on that.

I have to totally disagree with all of this. In my long term save at Cambridge I have had offer after offer after offer from clubs during periods of success. There were times during my spell in League One I attended three or four interviews a week from clubs in League One or the Championship. The only time the offers dried up was when I started to earn around £70k pw on four or five year contracts. That said Spurs have just had a takeover and I have been offered an interview despite a prettly decent compensation deal that would have to be paid as I earn £110k pw and have 20 months left on my current deal.

In most of my deals previously I have had the compensation clause that clubs would have to pay 90%. For a long time now I knew my career would be a one club save so I never bothered trying to rid myself of that clause as there isn't a club in the world I would leave Cambridge for.

EDIT - I didn't get the Spurs job, they paid £5.25m for the Cardiff manager instead.

Well in my FM2013 game, I get fairly irritated in truth because I get a new job approach practially every week for one of my managers. I have two managers in this game, one in the EPL with colwyn bay trying to boost wales's prospects by building an amazing youth set up, I have another manager managing in the welsh league trying to boost that league to a high standard with Barry Town.

Is it the Barry Town manager that gets an incredible amount of job offers. That manager has won the CL once, boosted the team's rep significantly - yet of course is still on a low wage and in a "lesser" league so lots of teams try to poach said manager. Wheras the other manager - who has won the CL, or been involved in the final in excess of ten times, and has won the premier league for 14 times in succession never ever gets a job offer.

I believe the reason is two-fold - high wages deter people from approaching you, and the higher reputation the club you are managing gets, the fewer clubs are deemed to have a chance of prying you away. I mean - for example, the colwyn bay manager sometimes even gets "should have won by a greater margin" comments when playing against REAL MADRID!. The rep has differed so much that the game decree's Real Madrid under-dogs who would expect a trouncing.

Now I do not know if much has changed in 2014 in this regard, but it would seem to be to make sense that any team over 8000/10,000 rep NEVER be called an underdog.

I agree with your sentiments, and as someone who primarily tries to play realistic journeyman type saves, it would be nice to have more bigger clubs come in for your services when you've performed above expectations with a smaller team, for example. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but at times I feel like I have to be the one to initiate a move to a bigger club moreso than have some clubs knocking at your door.

After not paying much attention to any of the contracts I've signed as a manager on FM14, quite often the contract will contain a compensation clause that other clubs will have to pay if they wish to hire you. Quite often if I've applied for a new job while still employed, 8 times out of 10 the team you've applied for may say they're unwilling to pay the compensation required to buy you out of your existing contract. Perhaps removing this clause from your contract may help attract more interview offers? Purely a theory that I haven't tested out myself yet. I don't remember contract compensation to your previous employers being part of older Football Manager games, but don't quote me on that.

I always, for that very reason, make sure not to have that clause in my contract. So its nothing to do with money for the other clubs. They just never seem to want to sign me because I'm awesome. I have to, as you say, initiate contact, and still I have been turned down, despite being the best in the world.

Seems a tad....odd.

I have to totally disagree with all of this. In my long term save at Cambridge I have had offer after offer after offer from clubs during periods of success. There were times during my spell in League One I attended three or four interviews a week from clubs in League One or the Championship. The only time the offers dried up was when I started to earn around £70k pw on four or five year contracts. That said Spurs have just had a takeover and I have been offered an interview despite a prettly decent compensation deal that would have to be paid as I earn £110k pw and have 20 months left on my current deal.

In most of my deals previously I have had the compensation clause that clubs would have to pay 90%. For a long time now I knew my career would be a one club save so I never bothered trying to rid myself of that clause as there isn't a club in the world I would leave Cambridge for.

EDIT - I didn't get the Spurs job, they paid £5.25m for the Cardiff manager instead.

Yeah well, explain my situation then.

After 14 seasons, and being the top rated manager in the world, of all time, I have NEVER had anyone come in for my signature.

Yeah well, explain my situation then.

After 14 seasons, and being the top rated manager in the world, of all time, I have NEVER had anyone come in for my signature.

I'm not here to explain your situation. I am just telling you about my save. The problems you have are nothing like the ones I have.

Same here. After two seasons I had Man U ask to interview me, and since then in the last 18 years (winning everything all the time) nobody remotely even suggests I might be in the running for a job.

In a way, I can kind of see why you're not being linked to any jobs when you're basically already at the top of the tree in club football. If you're winning everything with United, for example, why would any other club believe that they can convince you to join them? Look at Fergie. I'm sure if you resigned, every club would offer you an interview if you applied.

I play a lot of lower league saves, so I do get frustrated at times if bigger clubs aren't showing an interest in me if I'm exceeding expectations with a lower club. But if you're already at the top of the tree then I can kinda see why the offers aren't there.

In a way, I can kind of see why you're not being linked to any jobs when you're basically already at the top of the tree in club football. If you're winning everything with United, for example, why would any other club believe that they can convince you to join them? Look at Fergie. I'm sure if you resigned, every club would offer you an interview if you applied.

I play a lot of lower league saves, so I do get frustrated at times if bigger clubs aren't showing an interest in me if I'm exceeding expectations with a lower club. But if you're already at the top of the tree then I can kinda see why the offers aren't there.

Those times when I let my contract almost run out, and only renwed it, in its final week, should I not have been connected with a LOT of other major clubs, seeing as I were about to be free on the market?

I even refused to negotiate, and the press were simmering with stories about me possibly leaving my club. Still, no other club started circling me. I just find that odd.

Guardiola, managing Bayern today, is being connected with Man United. Mourinho has been connected with Man United, and so on. A lot of high profile managers, being at major clubs, are being connected with Man United these days.

How is that different from what I am looking for in the game?

I do think previous versions were more open to managers being poached. I play Tonbridge and usually get promoted to the premier league within 6-8 seasons, winning maybe 4 leagues on the way up and being manager of the year for my league about 4 times too. In the 2014 version i've only had 1 job offer, from a league 1 club whilst in league 1, 10 places above them. I understand that when you're at the very top no-one expects to be able to poach you but in the 2012 version doing the same thing I had job offers from every big club in the available leagues (Real, Barca, United, Liverpool, Bayern etc.). I still haven't activated the achievement in 2014 of being offered a job by a club in a higher league and now I'm in the premier so I can't. Would be nice to be appreciated wouldn't it.

It seems tht when you are at the very top of the game, winning everything you NEVER get approached. I thought it could be the 3-4 yr contract that they do not want to pay, which i can understand so i let my contract run down to the last 5 months rejecting my boards offers and in that time, Liverpool and Spurs sacked their managers and i did not get an approach at all.

Instead they signed an unknown foreigner from Southampton whom still had 3 years left on his contract :confused:.

Makes the game feel a bit 'cheap' in a way.

I've had a fair few job offers on this save.

I was managing Oxford City in the Conference after 7 seasons, having achieved 1 promotion in that time. I was doing OK with them considering my budget. Bolton approached me, they were bottom of league two with a 10 point deduction in administration.

However, it doesn't happen that often without initiating it I have to agree.

When I apply for a job, the news item will say "this will come as a surprise, as HUNT3R never gave any indications that he is looking to move on" or something to that effect. Are other clubs more willing to approach you if you did apply to a job, indicating that you are looking to possibly move?

Same here. After two seasons I had Man U ask to interview me, and since then in the last 18 years (winning everything all the time) nobody remotely even suggests I might be in the running for a job.

Think you've answered your own question here. If you've won everything every year, why would other clubs think you're just going to leave for them? Look at Guardiola, Bayern didn't try to poach him from Barcalona while he was winning every trophy. He resigned, and then he found a new job.

I've won the SPL the past two years, and I'm making significantly less than most of the managers in the SPL, and yet when a job opens up in the SPL or EPL, although I'm sometimes mentioned as a candidate, no one ever makes an offer or inquiry.

And regarding players, when EPL teams come in with multiple offers to poach my prospects, they all offer the exact some terms: x amount up front, x amount over x numbers of months, and even the same bonus for goals. And they never offer a dollar over player value if I haven't set a transfer value, and never a dollar over transfer value if I set a transfer value. I decline, the player gets upset, I tell them no one's bid a value matching the asking price, they say "ok" and get back to work.

That's something that has always irked me.

I did get a lot of job offers after I left United. I went on 5 months holiday after resigned, then Schalke approach me. I signed 1.5 year contract and 11 months later, Newcastle, Milan, Celta, and Leverkusen offer me jobs in space of a week. I signed another 1.5 year contract with Newcastle, and a year later, Spurs offer me a job, which I rejected. I didn't even apply for those jobs, they come to me straight away. So I guess if you want to be approached by clubs, you should show your disloyalty to your employer. Signed a short term contract or get sacked/resigned after 3-4 seasons. And I agree with some of you who said If you've been loyal and successful in a club, why would a less reputable club offer you a job?

I was managing OM in France and winning quite a few trophies (not all of them). I was approached by Spurs, Man Utd and Athletic Bilbao in different seasons. I always put it down to having a crap contract at OM that wasn't very long. In board confidence screen it always said my job wasn't that secure because it wouldn't cost OM much to sack me.

I was managing OM in France and winning quite a few trophies (not all of them). I was approached by Spurs, Man Utd and Athletic Bilbao in different seasons. I always put it down to having a crap contract at OM that wasn't very long. In board confidence screen it always said my job wasn't that secure because it wouldn't cost OM much to sack me.

Seeing as for the time being, signing a big money or lengthy contract at a club doesn't give you any sort of benefit or incentive in Football Manager, maybe if you want job offers, you ask for a really bad contract. Seems like a bit of a flaw to me. The compensation thing seems to be quite a dealbreaker when it comes to new job offers. Shame for journeyman managers!

• 3 weeks later...

''Unexpected Job offers''do happen.

After Managing Dover Athletic to promotion as champs to the Conference Prem then having a storming first quarter and reasonable second quarter I was offered an interview with Livingston Scots L1, I was only offered £300 PW so turned it down.I was encouraged by this offer(I hadn't applied)so checked my Manager rating which was at regional and decided to apply for the Exeter City L2 job-a much bigger and a bit of a ''Yo-Yo club'' up and down from the Conference-to be told that the Compo for my release was beyond their means,so I resigned and applied again but was too late.

Unperturbed I then applied for all suitable positions and failed also seeing my rep drop to Obscure.Then 6 Months later I was offered and got the Real Zaragoza Job,although a bit of a basket case when I joined with massive debt,administration and under a transfer embargo but still possibly one of Spain's bigger club's.And possibly on a par with Leeds or Sheffield Wednesday in the UK.Even though far bigger than anything i'd been linked with before.

I wonder if every other Manager turned them down? As the Job was impossible to even avoid relegation out the 2nd Division let alone top 10 and the Wage was only 2,000e PW.

Do unexpected Job offers and links happen in FM 2014?And do clubs ever attempt to poach you?What is the biggest unexpected job offer anyone's had in FM 14?

In my most recent save, the season after having won the league (undefeated) as Man United, both Inter Milan and Atletico Madrid wanted to interview me for vacancies at both clubs. I was linked to neither club in the media, nor did I express interest in either job. Declined the Atletico interview, but attended the Inter one, after which Ed Woodward initiated talks in an attempt to keep me at the club.

Cant remember the last time Sir Alex was offered a job or was linked to another job? Once your at a team and won everything, i think loyality plays a big part, and until you resign, you wont get offers.

Pep is another example.

Wenger also. The only reason he was mentioned the other day for Monaco was becuase his contract is expiring, but once he said no, hes staying at Arsenal, its all quiet again.

Cant remember the last time Sir Alex was offered a job or was linked to another job? Once your at a team and won everything, i think loyality plays a big part, and until you resign, you wont get offers.

Pep is another example.

Wenger also. The only reason he was mentioned the other day for Monaco was becuase his contract is expiring, but once he said no, hes staying at Arsenal, its all quiet again.

He gets the France Job almost every save in my FM and has been sacked a few times by Arseanl too.

Archived