Sports Interactive Community
red dragon1978

Preparing for a long hard season

I need to prepare my team, part time Finn Harps, for their first season in the Premier League. I didn't change much last season, just maintained their 4-4-2, relying on shouts to adapt it to an attacking, quick passing style. Now I want to change my style and tactics to a counter-pressing style, and need to integrate 7 new signings into the team. I have enough options in my attack to win headers or outpace the defenders, my midfields best comparitive stat is their stamina, and I feel I have the shouts to keep a solid defence.

My question is, what would people suggest for pre-season preparation for a part time team needing to learn new tactics (but not a new formation) and also needing to bring new players into the match-day squad?

My thoughts are to have at least 7 friendlies, roughly 1 a week, against all levels of Irish opposition, and using these as the basis for improving my fitness levels. General Training on Tactics and High. Match Training on Teamwork. I've set it to 7 weeks preseason so I'm thinking weeks 1,2,3, and 4,5,6, on Team Cohesion, Attacking and Defending. Week 7 on Ball Control. Match preparation used for attacking and defending set pieces, (2 each) attacking and defensive movement (2 each) and the final one on Teamwork.

I'd like peoples opinions on these ideas, as I've not done a decent, full length preseason before. Thanks in advance.

Team Cohesion is important to get your new players gelled into the squad. I prefer to get tactics straight, get the signings integrated - then I'm laughing.

Standard preseason of 9+ friendlies (with three training days between each one), team training set to Team Cohesion on High, match prep set on Tactics and 50%, no individual training, no rest days.