Conceding from corners

Is there anything I can do to try and prevent my side conceding on a fairly regular basis from corners? I've tried numerous tweaks to the corner defending instructions but nothing seems to work - either someone will sneak in at the near/far post after his marker loses him, or the keeper will save a header only for the rebound to be slammed home. I get that teams do concede from corners and this isn't something I can alleviate, but I've conceded 5 goals in my last 6 games from corners which is frustrating. My defenders aren't short or lack jumping/heading. Not sure if I'm doing something plainly wrong - is there any general advice for setting up corners defensively?

Cheers :)

In my experience most of the corner goals are coming from the guy who is attacking the near post. Since I learned on this forum a few days ago a trick to have multiple players assigned to the same defending corner instruction, I have been using 2 players guarding the near post, and 3 players marking the six-yard box, I have not conceded any goals from corner kicks. It is possible that I am going through a lucky spell, but on the other hand, I have not allowed the opponents to create a dangerous situation from a corner kick since - it is looking really solid.

I have conceded two goals from corners in the past 50 games, but I generally don't concede many goals.

The way I usually have it set up:

- four players, usually defenders, mark players - the ones with the greatest height/jumping reach mark tall players, small defenders mark small players, those in between "man mark"; high marking, heading, anticipation, strength are preferable,

- one person marks the six yard area, he should have good anticipation and decent jumping height and heading, marking can be lower compared to the four above,

- one person closes the corner, he really only does that when opponents use the short option, otherwise just stands somewhere near the six yard area, it's marking, tackling and anticipation for him to deal with the short option and skills as the person above otherwise,

- my (small, not great at defending) wingers cover the posts, I like to have the one with better heading at the near post,

- my AMC/playmaker (with good creativity, passing, etc.) stays at the edge of the box, ready to pass to the striker or run with the ball,

- my striker stays forward.

You might want to train defending set pieces as match preparation when you're afraid of those.

Archived