Not complaining, just want some advice on how to stop this from happening.

Story of my season, other teams only need one or two shots to score whilst I need 10+.

Is it a simple case of getting better players. Just played Hayes and Yeading and they had 41% possession, 4 shots, 4 on target, 4 goals. This is an extreme, but the same basically happens in a fair few matches resulting in losses and draws. Would have easily walked the league otherwise.

If you want advice, provide information. It is a tactical problem, so post up your tactics for a start.

If I had to guess, I'd say you're committing too many players forward and leaving yourself open at the back, giving the opposition easy chances on the counter.

http://s1348.photobucket.com/user/redrock1986/media/Untitled1_zps87cf9066.png.html?sort=3&o=0

http://s1348.photobucket.com/user/redrock1986/media/Untitled_zps850c4fac.png.html?sort=3&o=1

Cheers for the quick reply.

I've looked at the guides on here (very good btw, recommend anyone reading to check them out) and found that it was easier to build something simple yet effective with weaker players. I basically follow all of the main rules except for slow defenders and pushing higher up, however if I do not do this I find that I do not pose as much of an attacking threat.

Quick tip: Post the URL link rather. It embeds it so that we can view the screenshot without having to click the link.

I'm going to move this to the tactics forum, as you need tactical help. One thing I will say is that "Hassle Opponents" is an extreme closing down instruction. You're going to get pulled out of shape and this is probably why you're giving away easy chances to the opposition.

Hassling opponents in the lower leagues would surely be of benefit due to low technical ability no?

It will, definitely, but then rather pick those individual players out to close down via Opposition Instructions.

So I went with stand off for the playoff matches, got through comfortably to the final, then lost 8-1 in the final. Needless to say I was not best pleased.

Going forward into the new season and I have 8 points after 6 games. Not good enough considering I was hoping to win the league. Early days yet though.

I am tempted to go back to my original tactics as I had less chances created against me (even though they only needed one or two).

Would appreciate any help.

Thanks.

The roles look basically sound other than maybe the right back could be given a support duty.

Did you combine Push Higher Up with Stand Off? If so that might have been why you got thrashed. Leaving space in behind the defence without pressure on the ball is generally a bad idea.

What would the result be if I selected neither Stand Off or Hassle Opponenents?

I'm thinking Stand Off would prob make me more solid etc.

Your team's pressing is affected by your match strategy (more defensive strategies = less closing down, more attacking = more closing down) and by defensive line adjustments (pushing up = more closing down, dropping deeper = less closing down).

Hassle and Stand Off are both extreme instructions that set closing down to either the maximum or minimum. I would advise using them for specific situations rather than all the time.

Cheers for the reply guys.

I had push higher up along with closing down. I found that direct passing lead to me just hoofing the ball up aimlessly and the short passing with drop deeper would mean that I would not get anywhere near the opposition goal. Closing down worked well with push higher up, my thinking being that conf. south standards would be quite low and no one would be able to properly deal with a high pressure tactic.

I gave the RB a defend duty to make sure that I would not be over committing players forward.

Cheers for the replies guys.

Think I am going to start again (don't like wasting seasons in divisions I know I can get out of first time). I will post a short update with changes that I made and how I got on.

Cheers for the reply guys.

I had push higher up along with closing down. I found that direct passing lead to me just hoofing the ball up aimlessly and the short passing with drop deeper would mean that I would not get anywhere near the opposition goal. Closing down worked well with push higher up, my thinking being that conf. south standards would be quite low and no one would be able to properly deal with a high pressure tactic.

I gave the RB a defend duty to make sure that I would not be over committing players forward.

Cheers for the replies guys.

Think I am going to start again (don't like wasting seasons in divisions I know I can get out of first time). I will post a short update with changes that I made and how I got on.

Though you are using a slightly different system, I'd advise that you look at the Guardiola Pressing Game thread by cmonreds in this sub forum and take the time to read through some of his posts within it, in particular regarding individual instructions. I'm not sure how well it would work with a 442, these are some things you could maybe try that might make a bit of a difference. It sounds like you are creating a lot of chances, but maybe not enough clear cut chances. It would be interesting to see where your players are taking shots from, you might notice a deceiving amount of long shots or players choosing to shoot when better options are available. Ill try to summarise a few ideas in regards to team instructions and individual instructions, maybe you can find something of use.

- Control & Fluid - If you were using a 433 (DM, CM CM, IF IF , F9 or AF) then it would be very fluid, with a 442 I'd imagine either Fluid or Balanced would be more appropriate

- Both FBs (A), all midfielders (S), a F9 + AF?

- Both wingers/wide midfielders sit narrower, less risky passes, shoot less

- Both CMs shoot less, less risky passes

- Both FBs dribble less, less risky passes, look for overlap (might not be worded exactly like that, can't remember)

- GK distribute to defence

Your team instructions seem ok, I'd remove exploit the flanks though if you are using play narrower, your full backs will penetrate enough without that instruction. Try adding retain possession, drill crosses, pass into space and play out of defence. Roam from positions would be something to test as well but could be risky in a 442.

The entire idea of this kind of style would be to control the game, be patient and wait for more clear chances to present themselves rather than trying to force chances. In general I have find this kind of tactic is far, far superior to the attacking styles with a lot of width that have always served so well in the past. With your wide player sitting narrower it will allow your full backs to have more space on the flanks, you might even find they become a regular scoring threat. It would be far more effective using a 433 as you have more options in game in terms of how you can change the system by moving the FBs to the WB positions and using the DM as a half back, but with a few tweaks to the team instructions I imagine it could work with a 442.

Cheers for that! Looks interesting. I have messed about with putting wingers further in and having the fullbacks on attack - Do not normally like to go all out though as I don't really think the players will be of a good enough standard. With that said I will deffo give it a look as I want my team to keep the ball when we are the one that is superior.

Archived