How revolutionary is a revolution?

3d surely isn't Si's style though is it? Also I really do hope the main focus isn't something about online and live and all that type of vibe.

agreed on both! :thup: i'd rather them work on whats there than try and bring 3d in.... and so would most others goin by the recent polls in here

3d surely isn't Si's style though is it?

In the past one could've said the same about the current 2d match representation.

Is going from 2D to 3D really that more spectacular than going from commentary only to 2D?

For the record, I'm not expecting a 3D match representation, nor am I hoping for one, but in the long run it is inevitable.

It'll be an evolution as always with a host of improvements on every aspect of the game. The completely new features in the game won't be enough to label this version as 'revolutionary'.

I've got no problem with that!

Someone somewhere mentioned something about disappearing arrows.

Great. Thats about as revolutionary as Emmerdale dropping "Farm" from their title.

That could hint at a tactical revolution, though. Dropping the arrows may mean that the whole tactical set up is revamped. Of course, there is a strong chance that it is not.

Was the general fan reaction to FM 08 not so great?

It depends on what numbers you prefer to use in order to measure that - number of sales vs number of moaners on this forum!

From a personal point of view, Football Manager is always the only game every year that I enjoy for almost the whole year!

It depends on what numbers you prefer to use in order to measure that - number of sales vs number of moaners on this forum!

Number of moaners really. Just saying that an average reception for the last game would hint at a revamp.

Number of moaners really. Just saying that an average reception for the last game would hint at a revamp.

What if the last game was the biggest and fastest selling game that SI have ever made and the number of moaners only went up slightly?

What if the last game was the biggest and fastest selling game that SI have ever made and the number of moaners only went up slightly?

Thats to complicated for me. ;)

Fair point. I do still hope for a big evolution in most aspects of the game.

If it's 3D, it better be "Sensible Soccer" style graphics / players. That way we could still have a whole pitch, overhead view... Only slightly more idea what was going on.

I'm betting on tactics though. No Arrows can't be all. After all, we need something to replace arrows instead... Right?

So maybe they've had a complete overhaul of the tactics system?

I'm hoping for an overhaul of the interface... I remember someone posting some pictures of his ideas for a new interface that (s)he made on Photoshop (or something). It looked brilliant, with player pictures, team logos etc. playing a major part. Something like that would be brilliant. Other than that, the overhaul of tactics is about all I can think of.

It's probably not just one thing:

In truth it's probably a mixture of many factors: ie. 3d (yes, we've all heard it millions of times), better revamped tactics, a revamped player attribute and developement system, smarter AI, improved board and finances, facegens... That sort of thing.

Either that or dissapoint the world with: NOW WITH MORE ONLINE CAPABILITIES!

Oh, they also mentioned that it will most probably be far too large for a CD, so there is most probably 3D...

Any chance you could link that thread here Gio, I would be intrested to see it.

It was probably deleted... I remember it, it wasn't that good tbh. Plus it would look rubbish if you didn't have logos and faces incorparated.

A part of me is hoping it will be 3D and another part is telling me it's too soon. They only really evolved to 2D a few years ago and while the match engine as it is is bloody great I think there are still little niggling things to sort out. For example, the way the ball is quite obviously rolling out and your player runs towards it and prodes it out needlessly. That is so annoying it becomes funny the 15th time you see it in the same game.

I hope Fifa Manager isn't forcing SI's hand in a way and they rushed to put a 3D engine in.

I really cant see what it is.

I'd hope it would be a whole tactical revamp because taking the arrows away is a simple way of saying 'we cant get them to work so were taking them away'. Without a revamp tactically, thats what it seems like to me.

Im pretty sure it won't be 3D. Like others have said, it been hinted at that the FML engine is what will be used in FM09. Its the same as it is now (obviously improved) but no major changes.

So let me get this straight. There isn't going to be any arrows on the tactics board anymore? So you can't indicate player runs.

Yeah, I think so and that is why it could possibly hint at a revamped tactical system.

3d surely isn't Si's style though is it? Also I really do hope the main focus isn't something about online and live and all that type of vibe.

Agreed, 3D maybe maybe not but or this LIVE crap is doing my nut in, yeah great for those who can spend 24 hours a day at a pc but back in the real world . . . .

i think the revolution means a complete 90 degrees turn or maybe 180 degrees which could mean that they are trying to creat a new manager game rethinking

tactics...giving us a free hand to put players where we wan't and say to them what we want

interface....maybe a new skin or new ideas for attribute, scouting, history etc indicators( which is not so important you can get very good skins arround the net)

player attribute ....now if a player has 20 on freekicks he's a genius taking them not shooting 9 over from 10 atempts

scouting...scouts get more realistic and more serious about thiere job

and i could go on and on

3d you say i hope not and it wouldn't be a revolution because others did it and they failed to impress me so si keep 2d it'd not a revolutionary idea

in FML it became apparent that arrows was allowing some to play amc's and no st's which really turned into to something that never happened in real life football so it was seen fit to stop this and it was by taking out direction runs and replacing with whether a player makes forward runs or not.

so if it is a tactical step forward for FM09 then i would suggest this would be incorpated

The whole runs thing is a big debate. I don't think Fm have ever really allowed for one of the most simple and often used tactics in football, players making runs to drag opposing players out of position thus crating space to exploit.

I heard it is that the wibble wobble screen is coming back. The previous sentence might not actually be true ;)

I think I go along with most other long timers on here and think it is possibly too early for 3D but CM are doing it so has SI's hand been forced??

in FML it became apparent that arrows was allowing some to play amc's and no st's which really turned into to something that never happened in real life football so it was seen fit to stop this and it was by taking out direction runs and replacing with whether a player makes forward runs or not.

so if it is a tactical step forward for FM09 then i would suggest this would be incorpated

Man Utd AND Fiorentina have/had used this system in the past :(

Maybe some connection between FM and FM Live? A simulated gameworld to become a more expirienced online gamer? It would make sence and it could be easy be implemented.

Forgive my ignorance but isn't there someway you can play people online on the regular game? Not throughout a season and all that, but a sperate mode that allows you to use your team that you have created in the normal game to play mini tournamants against real online gamers. Oh yeah, without charging any subscription fee for the privalige, like online pro evo and fifa. If there isn't maybe somthing like that will be added.

At a guess:

1: Hugely improved ME, due to the extensive testing it has had in FML

2: Hugely improved interface, due to the input of those playing FML

3: Hugely improved other modules, as the FM development team can borrow the advances made in FML and have thus had more time to improve other areas

Archived