Sports Interactive Community
rhexis

How should I defend against corners?

I'm playing Real Madrid on to my 3rd season, and having conceded less than 20 goals previously (mostly due to set pieces as well), I'm starting the season with already several goals conceded from corners.

I have set my Fullbacks to guard the posts, CBs to mark tall players. DMC and FW to man man mark, and my Winger and 2 CM to go back, leaving only my left winger up front as he's the fastest. (This was changed after the default failed me several times. I even set my training to Defending and my Match Training to Defending Set Pieces.

Yet I can't stop conceding from corners? Is it a keeper issue that I should improve on? I understand in reality, Real Madrid conceded a bit on set pieces as well, but letting in 1 almost every other game is truly frustrating. My defenders are great. Ramos, Varane, Papadopolus, and Marquinhos.

Any advice would be great. Because as of now, every time I see a corner I go like, "well there goes my clean sheet".

Well I took my full backs of the posts and leave them empty because I began to get angry at the fact that they weren't doing anything and their was always a player that wasnt marked (got them as man mark or mark short payer).

I also leave two faster and shorter men up front (this gives chance to counter and stops two more of the opposition from being in my box) I also got a small guy with good passing on the edge of area to instigate the counter and try to stop the long shots from the man that lurkes

Also defensive set peice training will help

I agree. The fullbacks seem to be day dreaming or something whenever a corner is taken. I might try your suggestion. Have my 2 full backs just man mark and have one guy lurk outside. Hopefully it helps.

Any other suggestion would be great.

I think you have to have at least one man on the posts because it makes the goal smaller. I've seen balls cleared countless times off the line because of putting my players on the posts on corners, and you see it in real life too.

It might be worth setting them to mark both posts as default, but watch the opponent's corners and see what type of corner they go for. If they go for the penalty area, both off the posts, if they go for back post, keep a man on the back post, and if they go for near post, near post! I don't know whether they changed it but you can now put multiple players on one post when defending corners.

Also full backs aren't necessarily the best to put on the posts, especially if they are OK in the air (11+ heading/jumping). Put the least aerially capable on the posts (like wingers) if it means more opposition players are marked by players better at defending.

It seems also that of the two posts, it's better to have a more aerially capable person on the near post than on the far, if you need to make that decision.

I'm Schalke in the Bundesliga and have not conceded from a corner in 24 league games!

GK-Default

RB-Go back

CB-Mark six yard box

CB-Go back

LB-Mark near post

MC-Go back

MC-Go back

AMR-Go back

AMC-Go back

AML-Edge of area

STC-Close down corner

1 player to mark near post.

1 player to close down corners.

1 player to mark 6-yard box. (one of the CD's)

1 player to mark tall player (the other CD)

1 player (small fast) to stay forward

1 player (small) to stay on edge of area

The rest told to go back - including any tall and strong striker(s).

This has provided me with the best defence on corners I have tried, after the 14.3 patch. Not fail proof, but better than anything else I have tried.

Also there is a quite fresh corner thread in the Tactics & Training forum right now, you should have a look at that.

I've gone for the AI zonal markers across the 6 yard box trick myself. Seems to work alright. Needs a bit of hokery-pokery to set it up though, the instructions can be found in the tactics forum if anyone's interested.

I think you have to have at least one man on the posts because it makes the goal smaller. I've seen balls cleared countless times off the line because of putting my players on the posts on corners, and you see it in real life too.

It might be worth setting them to mark both posts as default, but watch the opponent's corners and see what type of corner they go for. If they go for the penalty area, both off the posts, if they go for back post, keep a man on the back post, and if they go for near post, near post! I don't know whether they changed it but you can now put multiple players on one post when defending corners.

Also full backs aren't necessarily the best to put on the posts, especially if they are OK in the air (11+ heading/jumping). Put the least aerially capable on the posts (like wingers) if it means more opposition players are marked by players better at defending.

It seems also that of the two posts, it's better to have a more aerially capable person on the near post than on the far, if you need to make that decision.

I know ppl on post do clear in real life and i seen the opposition clear off line, but before the patch i didn't think they did anything to help so i took them off and i havn't gone back

But it might just be that your team is too small

I must admit i did start adding tall players to my team but i still have tiny ones like dan crawly 5"5 smh

I don't have players marking the posts. It helps to catch the corner taker offside if the ball gets played back to him and it gives me two extra players to try and win the header!

I'm not currently having the posts marked either, but am considering putting a man only on the near post as it seems more vulnerable. Having one on the far post is a waste of time, imo.

Leave 3 forward, preferably widely spread (I use wingers and a striker), and one lurking edge of area. That usually makes the AI leave 3-5 players back to cover.

Three guys set to Mark Tall, one to Man Mark, then decide whether you mark both posts, or just one and stick a fullback on Mark Short.

I still concede, but a lot less than when I pull everyone back.