Sports Interactive Community
Sign in to follow this  
wg0801

My defenders are not fit

As the title says, my defenders, either DCs and FBs are generally not fit and they usually run out of steam by the 75th or so minute, with their condition draining to below 70. My Ass-Man will then pop up a message saying so and so are looking exhausted and we should substitute them. That's why over my last 5 seasons, I almost have to sub a defender or sometimes even 2 or 3, in almost every match. I noticed IRL most managers don't sub their back fours unless through injuries, or tactical changes.

On their players stats screen most of them have stamina ratings from 14 to 19, so I thought their stamina are ok. Well, I maybe playing a high tempo game, but why only the defenders that are getting exhausted, and my BBMs which cover more grounds, seems to have the extra lungs to last the full 90 mins. :confused:

As there is no individual training in FMC, I usually leave it to the Assistant to handle training. So I really don't know how to built up their stamina, if that is the reason. And if I may ask, what is the ideal stamina level for a defender?

I noticed that, generally my full backs would get tired quicker as they are all over the shop. I simply rest them for a couple of days in between games and holiday them as I see fit.

Yeah, I had been doing that for the past 5 seasons in my save, rotating unfit CDs & FBs in between matches. Actually I would have like to keep the same back 4 once they have built up the mutual understandings, just like in real life. You are right that the wing backs get tired quicker as they do a lot of overlapping runs all matches, but how about the box-to-box midfielders? The only conclusion I can think of is that the BBMs are fitter and have better stamina. So how do I train my defenders to built up their stamina when there is no individual training in FMC? :confused:

Never had that issue with my Man Utd side. I've played with both a back 4, and a back 3 (all DC's). Rafael has a stamina of 13, so sometimes I may have done so very late in games, but not often at all. With the three DC's, I never have to for stamina reasons, only if they are injured or playing badly. One option you could employ is to select Fitness as a focus in training for at least a week a month, see how that works. Apart from that, I'm not sure what advice to give.

Never had that issue with my Man Utd side. I've played with both a back 4, and a back 3 (all DC's). Rafael has a stamina of 13, so sometimes I may have done so very late in games, but not often at all. With the three DC's, I never have to for stamina reasons, only if they are injured or playing badly. One option you could employ is to select Fitness as a focus in training for at least a week a month, see how that works. Apart from that, I'm not sure what advice to give.

Apart from a couple of DCs and FBs whose condition would always drain off to less than 70% by the 75th or so minute, most of my other outfield players were able to last the full 90 mins. Only on odd occasions when game went into extra time, then I would need to sub the other players due to exhaustion. Other than that, I usually sub players because of tactical reasons or when we were comfortably in the lead. But because of my unfit defenders, I do not want a situation when my defenders run out of steam and I have used up all my 3 subs. Anyway I will try to put the squad on Fitness training as per your advice and see how it goes. Thanks :)

I should have asked what the fitness level is of your defenders before games. Are they around 95-100% fitness for each game right before kick off? And your training, what level is it set at? I always have mine set to Average throughout the season. When there's a game three days after the one that just finished, I always select the whole first 11 who started the game that just ended, right after I click, 'Leave Game', and set them to 2 day rest from the team screen. If there's 4 days to the next game, and it's amid a series of many games in the month, I will do the same, yet set the 11 players to 1 day rest.

I normally start with players having at least 98% fitness level. That is why I always got to have 2 players for each of the back 4 positions, so that I can rotate them around once they are not at that fitness level for the next match. But as I said, I don't like the idea of having different sets of the back four week-in week-out. That don't quite happened IRL, unless the manager wants to give the squad players a run in the less important domestic cup games.

My ass-man handle training during in-season. I'll take back the role & put the squad on fitness & team cohesion training at Very High level during pre-season once they are back from vacations. Once season starts, my AM takes over again :D