Star ratings are relative

Star ratings are relative to your current squad, correct? So, with this being said, is it possible to have a squad of all 5 star players?

If the star ratings are relative, wouldn't a current 5 star player go down to let's say 4.5 stars once you bring someone much better into the squad - who would then in turn be the current 5 star player?

So a squad full of superstars - there still can be a superstar with a 3.5 star rating.

Perhaps I'm just thinking too much into it!

(I've never had a squad good enough to see :D )

Star ratings are relative to your current squad, correct? So, with this being said, is it possible to have a squad of all 5 star players?

No, as you've said as you sign others players the star rating of your original 5* player would drop.

If the star ratings are relative, wouldn't a current 5 star player go down to let's say 4.5 stars once you bring someone much better into the squad - who would then in turn be the current 5 star player?

Yes.

So a squad full of superstars - there still can be a superstar with a 3.5 star rating.

Yes.

I believe it is relative to the league you are in, not your team. Obviously though, bringing a 5* player into your league will effect people's ratings relative to the average players in that league by decreasing slightly. Conversely, I presume if a 5* player left the league, everyone else's ratings will go up slightly.

Thanks for the responses. I am still new to FM in general (this is my first one) and I'm absolutely loving it. Of course, there is a steep learning curve and many intricacies that I'd like to get a better understanding of.

According to Theguidetofootballmanager.com (which does a great job explaining a lot) - star ratings are relative to the ratings given for other players in your squad. So this is what I'm basing my question off of.

I am only 2 saves in (1 in classic and my current "full game" save) and I have always started from the bottom of the leagues - I guess I find it more rewarding working my way up - so I do not have a lot of experience (yet!) with a full squad of superstar players.

Did star ratings change in 14.3. My 5 star players all went down to 4 star. My best player is 4 stars now, and we have no 5 star players. I'm in the SPL and have far better players than any other side. Best potential is a young player with 4.5 now.

Rating is definitely relative to your team, not the league.

I know this because I managed the same team, in the same league, for four seasons.

One player, a 21 year old, improved his stats year on year throughout these four seasons. However, his star rating actually dropped from four to two, because I injected greater quality into the squad via the transfer market.

Ok then.

Why is the best in each position not automatically 5*?

Well unless you have only players who are at full potential, then chances are you have a youngster who has the potential to be a lot better than your current players - ie his POTENTIAL is 5*. If his potential is a lot better than your other players CURRENT ability, then they can't also be 5*.

I think it has a lot to do with seasonal expectations (and/or the reputation of the club?)

Your scouts/coaches don't just compare the player with his teammates, and they don't just compare him with the other players in the league, what they're telling you is: "So, you have this player with, say CA 150, and what do you want to do with him? You are Real Madrid and want to win the title? Yes, he could probably do the job; you are Fulham and want to avoid relegation? Then you won't find anyone better than him".

I also think some other factors (such as positional rating, injury proneness and other "weaknesses", good or bad run of form, maybe age and reputation) may influence their judgement.

One minor issue I have with the rating system is that the stars are relative current ability (of team and/or league and/or reputation level) and not potential ability. When in lower leagues, it's easy to have an entire squad filled with five star potential players, and the only way to see how good a player can become is if there is a league estimate on the report card, which more often than not is not available

I have played games where my scouts have told me a 4 1/2 star player is not a worthwhile signing, simply due to the quality of those I already have. Whilst in other a 2 star play is a useful signing. All relative mate.

I'm no expert, but here is what I've gathered. Although I've tried to condense the material into short, declarative sentences, I do not mean to convey certainty, only brevity. Please feel free to correct me and I"ll edit.

0. All star ratings are subject to the abilities of your staff. The uncertainty decreases as the staff abilities (judging potential/current ability) increase.

1. Player star ratings, given by your coaching staff, are relative to your team's reputation (see Aim Less' post, below), but subject to staff evaluation ability.

2. Scouting reports: they might also be relative to your team, or your team's rep, but the text compares to the league. You can see the scout's comparison to your team's players.

3. Opposition reports: can choose to see the opposition team's player star ratings relative to the league or your squad (?)

4. Your coaches star ratings (for training areas) are absolute values, not relative.

5. On potential ratings of players:

When young, the coach or scout report on potential rating will chiefly refer to the hidden "PA" or potential ability variable of the player.

As the player ages, the rating given will consider player age. If the player didn't reach potential, the reports begin to indicate the player will not do so in the future. This may happen abruptly on the player's birthday. The hidden "PA" variable, generally, does not decrease.

The principle factor in reaching the full potential is playing time with the first team.

The hidden personality attributes for "professionalism" and "ambition" are important in reaching full potential. These can be increased via tutoring.

Player star ratings, given by your coaching staff, are relative to "the standard expected of the team", as quoted from the manual, below. So, relative to your team.

I would read that not as "relative to the team you have" but more "relative to the team you need to achieve your targets".

On a related but only for interests sake sidenote, on my current Real Madrid save about 5 seasons or so in, there are no 5* players around any more and only a handful of players with 4.5* potential (no 5* potential)

I would read that not as "relative to the team you have" but more "relative to the team you need to achieve your targets".

On a related but only for interests sake sidenote, on my current Real Madrid save about 5 seasons or so in, there are no 5* players around any more and only a handful of players with 4.5* potential (no 5* potential)

Same for me. The very best players are 4 stars and elites/world class players are 5 star and no realistic targets for my club. Filtering unrealistic targets produces 3-5 youngster with that PA out of 40-50k realistic targets, mind you not all are scouted.

My goalkeeper who is by far the best player at my club and in the league was rated at 5 star pre patch, now is rated at 4 star. I have a few youngsters with 4.5 star PA but no 5s anymore under 14.3. I think there must have been some slight adjustments to how it works. Doesn't bother me though as I go by the description, not the star rating. For me a two star is a leading player for the majority of the other clubs in the league.

There is a hard upper limit to CA and PA (200?) when your *average* player gets close to this, this value becomes 3 to 3.5 stars. If your star ratings are relative to your team, then no one can exceed that by too much.

I think I have a potential test to see if star ratings are the average of the team, or correspond to the ambition of the team: on occasion, there are chances to adjust, mid-season, team goals. If, upon adjusting from, say, "respectable league position" to "promotion", star values decline, then these values clearly correlate to the manager's vision of the team's goals. If not, perhaps there is a delay, or perhaps scouting report star ratings may adjust, or perhaps stars correspond to average team value.

It can't be league rep. I just got promoted into SPL with Ayr, media prediction 12th, most of my squad is 3.5 star and 5 potential

Isn't that basically saying that your coach thinks the players are good enough for your club, to do as expected and finish 12th.

Its based on club reputation + ability + staff evaluating ability

Lets say you play in a lower league and your assist manager is 20 20 in potential and current ability evaluation . you have a 4 start rating player and you managed to get in first league, is rating will drop due to you getting higher reputation .

witch means for the current club reputation and needs for first league he is just not good has it once was

Its based on club reputation + ability + staff evaluating ability

Lets say you play in a lower league and your assist manager is 20 20 in potential and current ability evaluation . you have a 4 start rating player and you managed to get in first league, is rating will drop due to you getting higher reputation .

witch means for the current club reputation and needs for first league he is just not good has it once was

Thank you for clarifying. I've updated and simplified my post, above. I'm probably not the person to do it, but it might be helpful to have a good, single answer to the star ratings questions somewhere as it arises so frequently.

Archived