Sports Interactive Community
Mr U Rosler

Silk & Steel - The Quickening......... exclusively for 14.3

Played a couple of friendly won 1-0 and drew 0-0 lots of new players and subs so not much to say yet other than the CWBs get lots of shots at goal.

Played a couple of friendly won 1-0 and drew 0-0 lots of new players and subs so not much to say yet other than the CWBs get lots of shots at goal.

Agreed. I have Kyle Walker and Danny Rose having at least two ccc each in matches.

I think the secret to getting the very most out of the game lies right here.

Pick a tactic you like with some record of success, doesn't have to be one of mine, and build a dynasty around it over a number of years, picking up that 16 year old you know, with the right guidance, will become an absolute MONSTER in one of our roles.

Before you know it you have a team of 11 monsters you have built and we can all go on 82 game unbeaten runs and put 14.3 well and truly to the Sword.

In fact I think I'm going to do just that..... with Palace.

Exactly Rosler...even though i am Man Utd at the beginning i sold over 70m (5-6 players) and brought in some very good youngsters (18-20 yo) who were already decent/good championship players but had the potential to be world beaters.

I gave them between 10-20 games per year playing lower sides in FA Cup/League Cup, games vs lower oppposition whom i thought i can beat easily and occasional subs vs other sides.

After two seasons they were becoming regulars in my side (good premier league players) and now im knocking back offers of 65m+.

If i can recall i spent a few hours of scouting almost every top side in the countries i thought would produce young talent and spent over 40m in first two seasons on 15+ players but now it is paying off.

In two years time i will be leaving Old Trafford for a new stadium....Vidic Arena....gutted it wasn`t me but at the time i wasn`t a legend of the club.

Its doing ok...

but i reckon it needs a containing plan b.

in two games i have been two goals up at half time. the opposition has reverted to a 442 on both occasions and i lost once 4-2 away to everton and the other i lost 3-2 tto man utd.

so what to do when leading and the opposition go for the jugular?? pull back the wing backs??

Used the new tactic for the final 11 games of the season. Very good defensively, conceded 10 goals and scored 25. 7W-3D-1loss. Can't wait to use the new tactic for a whole season.

Its doing ok...

but i reckon it needs a containing plan b.

in two games i have been two goals up at half time. the opposition has reverted to a 442 on both occasions and i lost once 4-2 away to everton and the other i lost 3-2 tto man utd.

so what to do when leading and the opposition go for the jugular?? pull back the wing backs??

When i've gone down to 10 men i pull off one of the Shadow Strikers. the tactic still poses a good attacking threat even with only 1 SS. If i look at a containing tactic would probably use the one SS elsewhere, possibly a 3rd centre back and change mentality to control.

I'll finish my Chelsea & Palace season and then look at that perhaps.

Hey, was up at 6am too see where you were at with your new tactic (and to avoid my own personal domestic too) have you changed anything regarding set pieces from SS to the 'the tube'? i took a 2-0 lead with 'the tube' so switched to SS and within minutes conceded from a corner? just one of them things or a change in defending the set piece?

on a side note i have been using your dedication to FM as my own defense when i am sat here all day :D

Hey, was up at 6am too see where you were at with your new tactic (and to avoid my own personal domestic too) have you changed anything regarding set pieces from SS to the 'the tube'? i took a 2-0 lead with 'the tube' so switched to SS and within minutes conceded from a corner? just one of them things or a change in defending the set piece?

on a side note i have been using your dedication to FM as my own defense when i am sat here all day :D

Yeah, pretty sure the set pieces are different now, certainly defending corners.

I'm wondering if 'support' duty might be a better option for the wingbacks.

Obviously it will help out defensively but when attacking they are almost too far forward, in fact well out of range of an easy pass outwide when building from the back which is forcing us to play through the middle.

Also I dont really want a lot of chances falling to them, i'd rather they fall to our 'finishers'.

Will trial with both palace and Chelsea to see how it goes.

Also, the Half Back is causing some weird behaviour in the centre backs, probably need to go back to 'Anchor Man' in that role.

Also looking at adding 'move into channels' and 'run wide with ball' to SS to add a bit more width to the attack.

Hey, we're making progress here!

OK i've switched the CWB's to WB's on support, i'll see how this goes this the end of the season, just lost 3-2 away but was too a team close to me in league and i don't have a great starting 11 to be honest....

I have noticed the defenders are happy too hoof it clear instead of holding onto the ball a little longer than i'd like at the back, i like too see a good clearance :)

If we keep the wingbacks a bit deeper on support we can also change goalkeeper distribution to short, pass to defender, as long goal kicks are risky.

Think i'll go to support for the WB don't mind my right back shooting he plays CMa in SSv2 but every other WB couldn't hit a barn door from 2 feet.

so here are my 3 games so far with the new tactic

game 1

cup game, no changes just plug and play

game 2

teams at similar level probably could have gone either way

game 3

more player error? with the throw in goal i nearly choked on my coco pops !!!

maybe the video's show you something (other than my players being a bit on the poor side though i think part of it is down to getting hartlepool into the premier league very quickly)

side note game 3 i had changed the HB to anchor and the CWB's to WB's support

Thought I should finally give some input to this instead of lurking all the time.

I played a few games with this tactic as Leeds United but just found it to be a little bit too leaky at the back.

My solution was to change:

- Fluidity from VERY FLUID to FLUID

- Remove TAKE LONG KICKS from the keeper

- Added MORE RISKY PASSES to the Shadow Strikers

- Added the other fullback to marking the post on corners

These changes helped me get the squad promoted with 2 games left in the season. I started using it with about 15 games to go sitting just outside the playoffs

I have now changed to Chelsea to see how I could go if I could improve on my previous efforts with them and so far these are my results:

EPL - Played 6. won 5, lost 1, scoring 18 and conceding 7 (Had a loss against Aston Villa after leading 1nil, was just a terrible game that I have no idea how we lost)

Super cup - got dominated by Bayern but won on Pens 5-4 after a 0-0

Champions League - Beat Napoli 4-1 away from home

Capital One Cup - Beat Liverpool 3-0

Hopefully these changes may help a few people and even you Rosler

Thought I should finally give some input to this instead of lurking all the time.

I played a few games with this tactic as Leeds United but just found it to be a little bit too leaky at the back.

My solution was to change:

- Fluidity from VERY FLUID to FLUID

- Remove TAKE LONG KICKS from the keeper

- Added MORE RISKY PASSES to the Shadow Strikers

- Added the other fullback to marking the post on corners

These changes helped me get the squad promoted with 2 games left in the season. I started using it with about 15 games to go sitting just outside the playoffs

I have now changed to Chelsea to see how I could go if I could improve on my previous efforts with them and so far these are my results:

EPL - Played 6. won 5, lost 1, scoring 18 and conceding 7 (Had a loss against Aston Villa after leading 1nil, was just a terrible game that I have no idea how we lost)

Super cup - got dominated by Bayern but won on Pens 5-4 after a 0-0

Champions League - Beat Napoli 4-1 away from home

Capital One Cup - Beat Liverpool 3-0

Hopefully these changes may help a few people and even you Rosler

Much appreciated :brock:

i presume the link above isnt a final version? I think ill wait till you got a version that your happy with as you seem to be still tweaking it :)

using s&s2 atm anyway with west ham :)

I know it only one game but kept a clean sheet and ball retention and possession was much better.

are you using CWB attack or WB support?

I know it only one game but kept a clean sheet and ball retention and possession was much better.

are you using CWB attack or WB support?

Trying support, unsurprisngly it helps defence but takes a bit way from attack.

My main worry is that crossing is very effective in 14.3 and it seems that our opponents are doing too much of it and we're not doing enough of it. At least with Palace.

Hmmmm....

The tweaks work well but there is a high amount of ball turnover in the middle third which I am not liking the look of at all. With my chelsea squad I am using Lampard and Ramires in there but they are often getting caught with the ball leaving the defence exposed due to the half back pushing out and the defence splitting

Currently I have a fixture against Man U that I have been replaying a couple of times just to see the what could be an alternative.. I have lost 3 times already trying different things but looking to toughen the defence without losing some ability going forward

The tweaks work well but there is a high amount of ball turnover in the middle third which I am not liking the look of at all. With my chelsea squad I am using Lampard and Ramires in there but they are often getting caught with the ball leaving the defence exposed due to the half back pushing out and the defence splitting

Yeah, thinking Anchor over half back at the moment.

Currently I have a fixture against Man U that I have been replaying a couple of times just to see the what could be an alternative.. I have lost 3 times already trying different things but looking to toughen the defence without losing some ability going forward

Why do you think the cm's are getting caught in possession. Not enough passing options?? Maybe we can put direct passing on them to give them a bigger passing range??

I am using anchor.

seems to be a lot of balls going over the top of the 2 centre backs.

when attacking there still seems to be that 'extra pass' instead of threading a nice threw ball to forward

when picking up the ball in the middle of the field the 3 attacking players seem within touching distance of each other before the DLF makes a forward run.

CCC's are being created and possession is generally in my favour, i've switched on move into channels for the SS's to try and get some more space and hopefully some crosses

I've switched on cross ball more often with the WB's, and have taken off pass ball shorter off one of the CM's, genereally just playing around with little things

Unfortunately my next 5 games are

MAN UTD H LEAGUE

LIVERPOOL A LEAGUE

MAN UTD H CUP

CHELSEA H LEAGUE

SPURS A LEAGUE

so unsure if i'll get true results as these teams seem to be so prolific when i play them no matter there league form, morale the lot !

again i think this is more my Hartlepool teams reputation not being were it should be yet.

Been tweaking

fluid - standard

SK to distribute to defenders only

WB to support added cross from byline

AM added more risky passes,run wide,move into channels and roam

ST added move into channels

beat Tomsk 1-0 then Amker Perm 3-0 could be the tweaks or just that the players are getting fitter first serious game in a few days BATE in Belarus Supercup my board arnt bothered if I win but I am BATE must be kept in their place

I am using anchor.

seems to be a lot of balls going over the top of the 2 centre backs.

when attacking there still seems to be that 'extra pass' instead of threading a nice threw ball to forward

when picking up the ball in the middle of the field the 3 attacking players seem within touching distance of each other before the DLF makes a forward run.

CCC's are being created and possession is generally in my favour, i've switched on move into channels for the SS's to try and get some more space and hopefully some crosses

Everyone is told to pass it shorter. That could be why there is that extra pass instead of a through ball

Been tweaking

fluid - standard

SK to distribute to defenders only

WB to support added cross from byline

AM added more risky passes,run wide,move into channels and roam

ST added move into channels

beat Tomsk 1-0 then Amker Perm 3-0 could be the tweaks or just that the players are getting fitter first serious game in a few days BATE in Belarus Supercup my board arnt bothered if I win but I am BATE must be kept in their place

This did work in a test against Man Utd for me, won 3-1.

They scored from a turn over straight from a free-kick we had inside their half, Lampard tried to play a to the RWB, few passes and they scored.

The only changes that I did make however was

- changing the throw ins from LONG TO SHORT

- CROSS MORE OFTEN added onto the WBs with your cross from byline shout.. Not sure if this would work better without the cross from byline shout on.

- CDM was an ANCHOR MAN

I'm off for the night so people may want to tinker with these changes and hopefully we can contribute!

I'd just like to clarify. Should i download "The Quickening - Balanced 'a'" or the "Silk and Steel - The Quickening?" I know it's a stupid question as i am almost 100% sure it's the one that you have at the top of the post and that leads to "The Quickening - Balanced 'a'." However mistakes can happen and it seems a bit strange to still have the link to the old and now graveyarded tactic live.

Btw can this be used across the board (as in for all games) better than the old S&S was? That was extremely useful in its own right as a standalone tactic but much much better used with Rainmaker V3 as a back up for hard games or to close out a match when your players are tired or the opposition suddenly comes to life (and a few other situations). I see from what you have written that this is probably right but i would like to make sure. Have you tried using it alongside Rainmaker V3? I really want to use this new S&S for all games as it allows the use of wingers in their real positions.

I agree that keeping the wingbacks on attack is key to the tactic,

Putting them on support took more away from the attack than it added in defence.

The defense needs tightening up. We need an extra player at the back.

Not sure we need 2 SS and a striker. It's getting congested in the central attacking area.

2 problems.

I'd like to go 3 at the back, but pre patch this was impossible as the wide centre backs would occupy the FB positions and you would have huge holes at the back. Maybe this has been fixed, I will check this. 3 centre backs sat fairly narrow with the wingbacks and anchor in front would be a nice set up.

The other issue is finding a combination of strikers roles which works well up front as a pair. Strikers in general seem to get really low ratings and morale unless they score early, countless times I played with strikers and seen them sat at 6.3 after 30 mins just because they haven't scored yet, it's even worse when you play 2 upfront,

I managed to have some success with 1 particular set up. I might revisit that,

Thanks for your input everyone,

Throw in to short sounds good unless you have someone whos very good at it, beat BATE 1-0 cant say we deserved it tho but my lot arent fully fit yet where as BATE have been playing EURO knock out rounds (Belarus is a summer league late march to early December)

I'd just like to clarify. Should i download "The Quickening - Balanced 'a'" or the "Silk and Steel - The Quickening?" I know it's a stupid question as i am almost 100% sure it's the one that you have at the top of the post and that leads to "The Quickening - Balanced 'a'." However mistakes can happen and it seems a bit strange to still have the link to the old and now graveyarded tactic live.

Btw can this be used across the board (as in for all games) better than the old S&S was? That was extremely useful in its own right as a standalone tactic but much much better used with Rainmaker V3 as a back up for hard games or to close out a match when your players are tired or the opposition suddenly comes to life (and a few other situations). I see from what you have written that this is probably right but i would like to make sure. Have you tried using it alongside Rainmaker V3? I really want to use this new S&S for all games as it allows the use of wingers in their real positions.

Definafely 'a' tactic, can still be used with silk and steel,

Still not happy with anything I've put out for 14,3 but you'll get by.

Quick question/suggestion based on half a game of experimenting: move a SS to the SW position (on defend) and change things to control. The sweeper 'pushes up' into it as a 3 at the back, with none of them being outside of the penalty box..? Oh, I put the SS directly behind the striker.

After doing this, plus adopting powelly-lad's adjustments saw me leading 5-0 away from home at HT

Definafely 'a' tactic, can still be used with silk and steel,

Still not happy with anything I've put out for 14,3 but you'll get by.

Agreed I am doing pretty well with Liverpool using Quickening Balanced A with S&Sv2 as more defensive back up tactic.

With 8 games to go I am in with a shout of winning the Premier League having already won the League Cup and still in the FA Cup.

I am training "The Tube" with a view to introducing this next season. I am not keen on introducing tactics mid season as I feel the lack of fluidness can lead to a misjudging of a tactic.

Great work Mr Rosler!

Getting more knock downs from corners if we cross to the penalty box rather than near post also playing better and scoring more goals using S+Sv2 probably because my team is built around that tactic

Getting more knock downs from corners if we cross to the penalty box rather than near post also playing better and scoring more goals using S+Sv2 probably because my team is built around that tactic

will test that out corner routine out, cheers

Think I've sorted the tactic right out.

2nd in Prem with palace only conceded 4 goals in 8 games.

Rode my luck a few times but some games I've hardly seen an attacking highlight from my opponent.

Will report back when I've done half a season with palace & Chelsea so probably tomorrow.

Think I've sorted the tactic right out.

2nd in Prem with palace only conceded 4 goals in 8 games.

Rode my luck a few times but some games I've hardly seen an attacking highlight from my opponent.

Will report back when I've done half a season with palace & Chelsea so probably tomorrow.

Another lurker and very keen to see Palace do well.

Is this the same formation as Tube?

Another lurker and very keen to see Palace do well.

Is this the same formation as Tube?

Its based on it but not the same.

any chance of a preview d/l for multiple points of view and testing :)

i second that - Be good to have it this pm so we can test, it being a lazy Sunday afternoon and all.

yeah good shout guys

i would love to try it with bury at the min

hit the wall with my current tactics :-(

i mean i am making my own tweaks and most probably doing more harm than good, i do not have the gift Mr Rosler

Let me do half a season with palace to see how it holds up.

Still looking good although Everton and Man City got after me a bit.

Dont want to confuse everyone with loads of tactics although i do regard this thread as my development thread for 14.3.

8 more games to go with Palace shouldnt take me too long. :thup:

I'm a long time lurker who loves the game but who is really bad at tactics so i rarely post anything. I've used all of your tactics for this years game and had some good saves. I just want to say after completely dominating Everton in my first game of the season and winning 4-0 with the tube tactic, i got the message that the fans were pleased with the way we restricted the opposition's chances. I've never seen that before. i put support on the wing backs and changed to DM as you said in one of your earlier posts, no other changes.