Sports Interactive Community
Sign in to follow this  
CybrSlydr

FM14: Amazing players, MLS-ready!

I just had to come here and talk about these three players who have been the most amazing players I've ever had on my Crew teams. Normally, you can find a few 5-star guys and find a way to get them. For me, they typically never pan out as well as I'd hoped. However, these 3 guys are the exception. I also say the following with the statement that in past games as the Crew, I was lucky if I had a single player that scored 11-12 goals per season and another had 8 assists. My teams have always aimed high but were always quite modest in their ability.

First off is Enrico. He's a Brazilian. I picked him up on a $210k transfer from Ponte Preta. When I got him, his best position and assignment was AMC/Enganche. I never imagine he'd be as incredible as he's been. Without this man, my past success would not be possible. He is literally the foundation upon which everything else was built. His passing, occasional long-range goal, constant assists... This guy is incredible. The only bad part is he was 28 or so when I got him, so I only get a few years out of him before he starts to go down hill. But man, those are some AMAZING years.

Second is Kabiru Akinsola. He's Nigerian. He was one of those guys an agent offers. I got him from Hospitalet for a measly $27.5k. This guys has been an absolute force of nature in the MLS on my Crew side. Granted, I would have to say a lot of his success hinged upon his pairing with Enrico as an assist machine and my third player. The problem is he's now getting too good for me to afford. I have him signed through 2017 (currently 2016) and he's worth $4.2M. However, when I try to resign, he's wanting $12k+/wk and the most I can afford is $9250. It's gut-wrenching knowing I have to sell him - and he's only 25!!!

Lastly is Jonathan Reis. Another Brazilian. (a strategy I use as an MLS team is plundering the South American teams for good players - so many good, cheap guys in South America) He's not been as successful as Mr. Akinsola, mostly due to a terrible injury his second year with me, but I've paired him with Akinsola and they've been dynamite. His production hasn't been up there, simply because Akinsola is the one always scoring goals and I drafted a 5-star ST© who was pretty damn good at 17 and he split time with him. Plus, when I changed formation up a bit, I put Enrico as a CML(AP) and the left is the side Akinsola is on, so Akinsola was always getting the good balls. However, he's great at opening up space and playing great balls to everyone - another vital cog that doesn't get the recognition he might rightly deserve.

Truly, I post these guys with a certain awe and admiration as the first really good players I've ever had - and will truly miss.

Enrico Overview (Large)

Enrico History (Large)

Kabiru Akinsola Overview (Large)

Kabiru Akinsola History (Large)

Johnathan Reis Overview (Large)

Johnathan Reis History (Large)

EDIT: LMAO And the game I was playing when I wrote all this up, against NE Revolution... Enrico goes out and gets 3 assists, Akinsola 2 goals, Reis 1 goal in a 4-0 drubbing.

Was going to ask a similar question regarding Higuain! Legend at Crew!

Good to see someone playing within the MLS on fm14. Has the MLS been improved? Been getting better and better each fm that comes out. Im still playing my fm13 MLS save.

Has the quality of young draft players been improved as I always find the talent on offer in the drafts is pretty poor on fm13.

I've just taken over Sporting Kansas City. Its July 2019 and I have no idea what I am doing with buying players!!!

Can anyone help me out with a bit of help on the different types of contracts?

Where or when do I find out about the generation Adidas players?

When is the Draft and at what point do the players become so poor it doesn't matter about saving my picks?

Also, did any of the above make sense???

Cheers

I've just taken over Sporting Kansas City. Its July 2019 and I have no idea what I am doing with buying players!!!

Can anyone help me out with a bit of help on the different types of contracts?

Where or when do I find out about the generation Adidas players?

When is the Draft and at what point do the players become so poor it doesn't matter about saving my picks?

Also, did any of the above make sense???

Cheers

You have a Few Different Contract types the first is Designated Players . The designated Player Contract is for really expensive high profile Players like Michael Bradley on Toronto. There wages only cont 5% twords your Wage Budget and each team can have 3 Dp players.

Next is your International Players each team can sign a minimum of these or a Maximum depending on how many international Slots your Team Has

The Next is a Senior contract its a basic contract for your team just like a first team or key player contract in other leagues.

Next is your Senior minimum Salary players these players are either young or older players that will sign on thease contracts again you have to look and see how many you can sign.

Next is your reserve contract each team can have a maximum of 6 Reserve player contracts on there first team registered roster.

Next is your Generation Adidas Players they dont need to be registered and there wages don't count twords the salary cap as they get paid from Adidas .

Generation adidas Players will become seen during the draft as most of them come out of a Adidas Academy .

As far as your draft picks the further you go into the game the better the players come through the draft i have had players in the 4th or 5th season turn out to be mega stars even if they played in Europe they would be better then most if not all of the players over there just gotta wait and buy your team the first season or so i tend to use my draft picks for international slots and etc.

Best thing to do is after the draft see if there is any good players coming through the MLS reentry Draft or the Waiver Draft as teams tend to not resign good players or register them so you can get players like Bobby Convoy ,Wright Phillips, Dax McCarthy and Etc through that.

If you have any other Questions plz feel free to Send me a Pm.

Confused? I bet you are ;)

Dont panic, all part of the fun of taking over an MLS side.

Unless your from the states the whole system of the playoffs and drafts is likely scary to you. Heck it scares off enough UK/European fans as it is for being.....'different'. It was likely back around fm11 I first dared take over an MLS side. Ill admit though I did take a good bit of time to read wiki, the official MLS website and the helpful guys on here for the rules and explanations etc. Once you get your head round it, the MLS offers a truly refreshing experience within FM. Ive not purchased FM14 though for personal reasons (blah blah blah) so I cant comment on the MLS past FM13 sadly. Sporting Kansas won the playoffs in real life and have fairly new stadia as well as a loyal fan base.

Bit of advice personally from me. Search for the MLS help page. Located somewhere on this site. Looking through my bookmarks I cant remember the link for the life of me.

Quick tips (obviously everyones opinion is different but just my personal pref)

Scout out who you think will struggle or assess throughout the season and try obtain the worst side in the leagues 1st round draft pick. Basically you will then get the first pick of the draft meaning you can sign the very best player on offer.

The superdraft is the main draft to look out for. Off memory early January or late december time (slips me by).

I tend to look in Brazil and South America for players. Can pick up some right gems on a free or for extremely low cost that are just as good as bigger money players. Yes it does not fit in with the whole marquee big name signing culture that is in full force in real life but in terms of success it really helps build a big successful squad which is vital with the timing of games and the sheer volume at times of games.

If your keen on a big name fancy signing they are possible but tricky sometimes until you get well into a season or two. As you'll likely have noticed or read you can have 3 DP players that dont really apply to the mls budget. They are your Robbie Keane, David Beckham, Henry styled players. Most DP players go state side after they've past there prime and I've always been quite sceptical of the claims of others who ive seen in the past sign Kaka, David Silva etc....way before they are past there prime. However I on FM13 I finally had a few break throughs. With my Kansas side I managed to sign Zlatan Ibrahimović who despite being 32 years old at the time I signed him was by far the best player in the MLS and easily still one of the best in the game. PSG released him oddly despite scoring 15 times for them that season. Also agreed a deal with Sami Nasri as well as bringing Tim Howard back. So decent signings are possible if you look and try hard enough.

Like I said try find the MLS help page on here. That will aid you no end buddy!

Well I have done my first close season and had the enjoyment of the drafts!

I was pretty shocked at the quality that was available to be fair, although the SuperDraft was awful, think they named that wrong!

I have picked up some quality players, including one that I will try and take back to the prem with me if I return. Sadly he only had a year left on his contract and I am over wage budget so cant renew it.

I'm having a problem getting designated players. I have one but I think I am allowed three, and am I right in thinking they don't count towards the wage cap.

Am I right about the wage cap? and if so how do I find someone that's considered a designated player?

My second season started very badly, I think this is due to my increase in rep and continuing with my counter tactic, going to go with a more traditional 4-4-2 attacking for the home games and counter only for the bigger teams away.

Apologies slow reply been super busy.

On your squad registration page it will say how many DP players your allowed as well as detailing all the other criteria to meet.

Some players you simply cant offer DP contracts to. Believe the board wont allow you to buy a Luton town centre back to a DP contract for example etc....just logic. My example would be Zlatan. He was on a free so I approached him and it was auto set to DP etc.

Takes a lot of tinkering to meet your requirements. 1st season always easy for me as I make mass changes through signings and trading my players I dont deem good enough. Once you achieve success though because of the squad restrictions it becomes harder. Currently my Sporting Kansas side is unbeatable. We win every game with ease 3,4,5-0 but Im always looking to improve. Ive seen an American Right back I want but to get him I need to get rid of 1 senior player as ill be over budget but there isnt actually a player I want to part with lol! All fun of management.

Ive just started a save with the Vancouver Whitecaps, thanks for some of the info as I started the game 4 hours ago and haven't pressed continue yet!

A lot to take in.

I had a bash at FM13 in the MLS, with LA Galaxy - Mattias had to help me out alot there. It's very different, but enjoyable. The worst thing I found was the international dates didn't cause postponements of MLS matches, so often I couldn't name more than one or two subs. Hopefully that is changed this year, but best to check it out.

Create a thread sir :lol:

Ive tried raising this issue with american MLS fans for ages pleading with them to take up the European date format but it falls in deaf ears. What happened in yours (and my) saves Jogo Bonito is an issue in real life too. Prime example for me is Robbie Keane. Hes passionate about playing for his country and travels on the regular around the world back and forth even for a friendly because it means that much. This very often means he will either finish a game for Galaxy, jet straight off, play for Ireland and then fly right back and either be a# shattered for his MLS game, or b# miss the MLS game all together as hes traveling still. Not ideal and it can cost you key points through losing half your players. Like wise it causes issues for national teams during friendlies because they suffer from lots of players pulling out as they have key league games in the MLS to play.

good luck with your ssave Hoarau, by playing as a Canadian side you also have more confusing rules to learn than just being an american club but once your up to speed with the rules you'll be fine. Keep an eye out for up and coming wonder kids but they can only take you so far as when they become too good you end up having to sell and due to MLS holding the rights you wont see the full transfer fee value. Also keep an eye out for Premier league, Serie A, etc....experienced vets, who maybe are not up to the premier league levels anymore but will be more than good enough for the MLS and hopefully still have those amazing high 15+ attributes in the right areas. Like I previously said Zlatan is destroying the MLS on my save & Tim Howard is a god in goal!